Volume Pedal with Boost? Hmmm...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by decay-o-caster, Aug 4, 2008.

1. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

So stop me if this is common, but I don't think I've ever run across one.

Does anyone make a volume pedal with a boost? I'm thinking probably a center detent, so you'd get unity at the notch, but then a clean or slightly dirty boost beyond that? Maybe even mounted against a spring so you have to work at it on the boost side, but that might be over engineering.

That seems like it'd be a useful tool on stage.

2. earthtonesaudio

earthtonesaudio Member

That would have to be one heck of a center detent.

3. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Hey! C'mon - I'm designing on the fly here! :)

So probly a normal vol pedal up to unity, then a spring to work against for the boost side? But I'm thinking using the boost as part of your expression - you'd want a dedicated, on-off type boost (or 6...) for set'n'forget blasting, but this would be for tone shaping in your phrasing.

So who's going to step up and build one of these, making his own fortune in the process? ;)

4. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

Check out the Visual Volume

last time i checked, it has a boost in it w/ LED indicators of your volume level

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I'd say just about any floor processor does that job and much more.

6. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

I have a VV and it does what it does VERY nicely. I would like to know, however, what the gain levels (I realize they control a gain of 1 to 5x "unity") correlate to on the LED indicator. I, like some, agree that there can be a bump; but like others, I feel it suits my purposes well.

So ... if I set my VV 10 to level 2.5 active gain (i.e. half way up), should I be at 25%, 50% or in some other ballpark to offer unity plus buffer to my chain.

Also, if I'm set at "active" level "0" will I get the benefit of the buffer for my signal chain albeit without any boost?

7. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

I have a VV and it does what it does VERY nicely. I would like to know, however, what the gain levels (I realize they control a gain of 1 to 5x "unity") correlate to on the LED indicator. I, like some, agree that there can be a bump; but like others, I feel it suits my purposes well.

So ... if I set my VV 10 to level 2.5 active gain (i.e. half way up), should I be at 25%, 50% or in some other ballpark to offer unity plus buffer to my chain.

Also, if I'm set at "active" level "0" will I get the benefit of the buffer for my signal chain albeit without any boost?

8. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

If you've got a loop, throw one in there :)

9. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I do this via 2 pedals. Super Chile Picoso set for a boost followed by a Boss FV500L volume pedal. The minimum volume on the VP is set so that when the VP is rocked back and the SCP is on, my volume is the same as if neither of them are in the chain. This way, when I rock forward on the VP I get a volume boost rather than just a return to unity volume.

10. embrionic

embrionic Supporting Member

I used to have a vintage Maestro boomerang II wah/volume that did just this. The circuit was not unity which was kind of cool. When the pedal was resting against the switch - toe down - it was unity, but when you really pressed down on the pedal you would get a boost. The switch was kind of my "detent". Of course press too hard and you would switch to wah, but there was quite a noticeable jump before this happened. So I used to use this as a "feature" from time to time, until I stopped using the boomerang altogether in favor of a different wah/volume.