Volume pedal with non-MV amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by trumpus, Feb 9, 2008.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Just wondering how many of you use a volume pedal with your non-MV amp?

I recently acquired and refurbed a '78 Vibrolux Reverb - a non-MV amp and a switch from my Mesa DC-3 which has a MV. I had been playing my G&L Legacy through the VR and thought it was plenty loud with the volume around 3. Today I ran my CS Gibson Paul Jackson Jr. through it and whoah! This thing is a firebreather.

I am mainly playing at home right now, and was wondering if a volume pedal placed just before the amp would help to tame the volumne a bit, without sacrificing too much tone. I haven't used this with a band yet, but suspect that it will still need a bit of taming as well. Any thoughts?

How about specific volume pedal recommendations?

Brian

2. burner

burner Member

I've tried this but I prefer just using the guitar's volume knob instead.
    You can tweak them a little bit for treble loss if you need to.
    For my steel setup I like the old deArmond volume pedals, or a sho-bud.

3. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

It'll work the same as if you turned your guitar's volume down. That's the good news and the bad news with a non MV amp - they sound great, but there's no master vol, so when they're loud enough to get 'that sound', they're loud.

The Ernie Ball vol pedals are popular, and I like the way they feel. Goodrich is probably better fidelity, but I prefer the feel of the EB's.

If the VR on 3 is at the top end of your volume comfort zone, you're gonna have to dial your clean sound in and use a pedal for gain sounds, methinks.

Good Luck, Dana O.

4. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Foot-controlled power attenuation...the 'next step' in amp control.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    The best way to cut amp volume is to use the volume control on the amp. Seriously.

6. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Gotcha - amp volume goes from about 2.5 directly to 0. At 2.5 it is a bit muffled, but with a slight treble boost and some EQ it sounds ok.

Sounds like an absolute dream around 5, using the guitar's volume to clean up. This is why I was thinking a volume pedal might do the trick.

7. Brien

Brien Member

If you're using an OD pedal, place it before the volume pedal so you can retain the drive level while adjusting the volume. Use your guitar volume knob to adjust OD level. The overall volume hitting the amp will still of course affect the natural tube distortion, but that's inevitable however you do it.

8. plygtar

plygtar Member

I have a Dennis George volume pedal which works flawlessly without coloration. I like having the ability to change the volume quickly without having to reach for and fiddle farting around with the volume control on my guitar or amplifier. Obviously you can't make accurate adjustments easily while playing. There are times when I want to swell or quiet the voulme while playing. I wouldn't be without one now.