Volume pedal, with tuner out, that does not suck tone...does it exist?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LowWatt, Feb 15, 2008.

1. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

I think the title says it all. I need a volume pedal for swells and I'd like it to have a tuner out to pull my Boss tuner out of the chain. Another thread points out that this makes a large tone suck. Has someone designed a volume pedal with these features that allows tone through cleanly?

2. Austintone

Austintone Member

If you find one, please let me know! I have looked far and wide to no avail.

3. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Member

If you're using guitars with passive pickups, the Ernie Ball VPJr. 250k will do exactly what you want. I just got one and am thoroughly impressed. My tone is completely unharmed (and I am utilizing the tuner out), and it has a nice sweep.

4. Andre357

Andre357 Member

+1......it's a great volume pedal.

5. jazzguitar

jazzguitar Supporting Member

+1 I've been using an EB pedal this way for years with no noticeable tone suckage.

6. dB

dB Member

Hilton...a little pricey, but great pedal plus a buffer. Goodrich is also very nice.

7. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

I sold my EB VPjr 250k only because it definitely sucked high end clarity!
    Did several quick changes, In the loop...out of the loop. Very noticeable "suckage" while playing double stops and chords. I'm look for something else too and it doesn't have to have a tuner output, just transparent!

8. d-b

d-b Member

I have the Goodrich and I use the other output (it has two). It is not like the tuner out of Ernie Ball because when the volume is off nothing goes to the tuner. Works for me!

9. meburdick

meburdick Member

I read that the "tone suck" is because connecting the tuner to the tuner out jack changes the impedance of the circuit.

Have you tried putting your TU-2 right AFTER the volume pedal to actually offset some of the tone loss? There are a lot of people putting their buffered tuners LAST in the chain with great results (I haven't gotten around to trying it yet).

10. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

I have to agree about tone suckage with my EB Jr, especially as you sweep the vol down, regardless of any buffer before it. I have a Goodrich LDR, tone is right, but no tuner out option that doesn't get affected by the pedal sweep. Plus they are now orphans.

Seems like a viable market for this done right.

gb

11. blood5150

blood5150 Member

Thats the one i have.. no problems.

12. tlpruitt

tlpruitt Member

If it is passive, and all Ernie Ball volume pedals are, then it is changing your tone even when the pedal is fully pressed down. Some like the change and some don't. A buffer before the volume pedal helps.

The Visual Volume pedal from Visual Sound is an 'active' volume pedal with a tuner output jack.

-Tim

13. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

The Ernie Ball definitely has a slight high end attenuation. But it is almost a pleasant roll off. Not really a deal breaker for me.

The Visual Sound is really clean. I really can't hear any coloring of the sound like with the Ernie Ball. It can be active or passive, is stereo if you like and can also act as a clean boost.

The only downsides are it has a rather large footprint, needs power, and the throw isn't great. Has a volume bump at the beginning which shoots it in the foot for whale tones. Other than that I really like it.

14. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

A question for those guys who hear the highs being slightly rolled off with the EB VP:

Why not just bump the treble knob on your amp a little? Seems like an easy fix... :)

15. Chadley

Chadley Member

I noticed some tone suckage when using an Ernie Ball Jr. and specific tuners running off the tuner out (not all had a negative effect on the tone....TU2 for example was fine, TU12 not so good). I have also tried a Goodrich L-120 and noticed some high end loss with it. What I have settled on is a Boss FV500H. Great tuner out, great tone and no high end loss.

16. RC2

RC2 Silver Supporting Member

+1, I sold my EB VPjr. for the same reasons.

17. ruach1

ruach1 Member

+1 I run the VV in the middle of my chain, right before the mod effects.

18. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I just use a passive Boss unit. I think it's the FV-50H. I run it first in my chain; sounds absolutely fine to my ears even with a tuner connected to it. And, I'm very finicky about tone sucking. It's relatively cheap compared to Ernie Ball units and does what it's supposed to do.

19. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Reviving my old thread. I've been using the Visual Volume for a few months now and it definitely meets all my criteria. It doesn't affect the tone, even when using the tuner out.

Having said that, I could see guys wanting to do pedal steel volume swells not liking it. Even well lubricated, you can feel the gear moving and it does not feel even enough for traditional swell effects.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  20. oldmanmetal

oldmanmetal Senior Member

I have a Visual Sound and it will not do the volume sweeps at all. Anyone want it. I never use it.