Volume Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trisonic, Jul 22, 2008.

1. trisonic

trisonic Member

What do you suggest for a pedal to sound like I'm using the volume on my guitar (sometimes it's just not convenient).
    I use it rather like Knopfler constantly backing off for clean then getting grunt the other way.
    Thanks, Pete.

2. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Place the volume pedal BEFORE your OD/Boost pedals so that you can not only control the overall volume, but you can also control the amount of drive of your OD's...this way it works just like when you use your guitar's volume control.

3. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Pete, they say that Hilton and Goodrich are best... I'm looking to get one of those myself.

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

Thanks guys.
    Marko, Yeah, Bill Chapin recommended those two as well but they may be overkill for me; I'm looking for the same kind of response that I'm familiar with with just my guitar volume control. On the other hand each guitar is slightly different plus I have one active guitar, so I dunno, really.

Best, Pete.

5. trisonic

trisonic Member

Can someone help me further with this question?
    Cheers, Pete

6. plagtr2

plagtr2 Silver Supporting Member

Pete,
    I was gassing for a Goodrich or a Hilton recently. Money no object, they seem to be "it". I ended up modding my Ernie Ball pedal with a better pot from Tom Bradshaw. See link: http://www.songwriter.com/bradshaw/pots.php
    Not a difficult mod--soldering on the posts was new to me--also had to ream the mounting hole just a little bit. Otherwise, the biggest challenge was dialing in the string/springs travel. I put new string/springs in at the same time. For a fraction of the cost of a new Goodrich or Hilton, I made the mod to my EB & am VERY happy. Would be nice to have the G or the H, but I am not looking anymore FWIW.

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

Thanks, which Ball pedal did you use as a start? I have one active guitar (a Chapin with a Demetar Mid Booster - the rest are passive).

Best, Pete.

8. plagtr2

plagtr2 Silver Supporting Member

Mine is a regular ol' mono one. I want to say it is a model 6166, which is for passive guitars. I want to say that the "active" model has a 25k pot. The one I put in mine is a 500k. The oem one in mine was a 250k.

9. trisonic

trisonic Member

Their range is rather confusing - they have one with a 500k pot which they say is for both active and passive pieces but I'm not so sure...
    Thanks, Pete.

10. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

If you're looking for something more inexpensive, the EB VP Jr(Passive 250k) and the EB Jr(Active 25k)...you're best bet is to contact EB and ask which they recommend for your guitar.

11. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

Goodrich Volume pedals are very good and not very expensive. Far less tone suck than the EB junior I was using before...