Volume pedals-basic questions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DGDGBD, Feb 7, 2012.

1. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

I was thinking of adding a volume pedal to my rig, but have never in my 30 years of playing (ever) used one before. So please pardon the dumb questions...

Is the "heel down/toe up" position full volume or no volume?

For passive pedals:

I'm not sure if i would use it early or later in the chain, but probably later after dirt pedals. I figure if first in the chain, it would be like a second volume knob on the guitar. If I use it later in the chain post-dirt/fuzz, how would that impact the sweep and performance?

I've read that placement after a buffered pedal will minimize tone suck. But how does use after a buffered pedal impact sweep/performance?

Any advice/recommendations for passive VPs?

Thanks!

2. TimH

TimH Member

heel down is no volume

I've never known position in my chain or the use of a buffered bypass or not to effect sweep or range of my EB volume pedals. Tone suck is another factor although I think it's largely exaggerated...live I doubt you'll notice much difference and pros have been using EB volume pedals for years without complaint...although if I was buying new now I think I'd buy the Boss FV500 instead.

3. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

I find no loss of high end when using my EB volume pedal, not in a live situation at least. In a controlled environment, I suppose I might hear a small difference. I would advise against using the "tuner out" jack, though. I personally prefer mine before OD/distortion, but some guys like it after. You'll have to experiment with what works best for you. I recommend the EB. Mine has worked flawlessly for about 12 years now.

4. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

thanks...which EB model do you use?

5. Bman20

Bman20 Supporting Member

tone suck is minimal (if u use vol pedals, theyre worth the minute, subtle high end loss if u experience it). Anyways, i use mine after dirt and before time based (verb and delay). Reason why, is because if u run it before dirt, you lose gain as u heel down just as u woukd turning ur gtr vol down. But if ran after dirt, u still have all ur gain, just lower output volume. And as for why to put it before verb and delay, if u strike a note and 'kill' it immediately (heel down), ur verb and delay trails still come thru, whereas if it were ran after, they woukd cut completely off. Again tho, this is all subjective and subject to personal preference.