volume pedals: does any thing beat Ernie Ball?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mcormier, Jul 10, 2006.

1. mcormier

mcormier Guest

if so please list em.

Thanks, Maxim

2. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

3. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Everyone seems to think the Goodrich is better, I've never tried one though. Another is the Hilton, but I haven't heard much talk about it yet. One of my favorite players, Allen Hinds, uses the Goodrich model with the buffer/pot and gets amazing tone, he says it's got the smoothest sweep.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    The Ernie Ball, while very durable and reliable, is nothing to write home about. The 250K (which is too low) pot is a major tone sucker. I had used one for years and bypassed it one day. I couldn't believe how much tone I was losing!

I installed a Valvulator (tube based line driver) in front of it and all is right with the world again.

With something like the Goodrich or the other one mentioned above you wouldn't have the same tone sucking effects due to a much more sophisticated design.

5. theelectic

theelectic Guest

I don't think anything beats the Ernie Ball when you take ruggedness and price into the equation, especially if you're not going to be using it ever other note like a pedal steel player. I got a VP Jr. for $65 shipped. I did not notice much tone sucking with a passive pickup Strat, humbuckers yes, but that was with just the volume pedal in line. At the end of an FX chain, no trouble.

6. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

The Ernie Ball pedals are not reliable, due to the string mechanism. I've had problems with the Goodrich as well. The new Boss units seem to be excellent.

7. Nitefly182

Nitefly182 Member

Its either the goodrich or the hilton where the pots wear out in about two months apparently and a new pot is around $30

8. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

Allen Hinds' "Fact of the Matter" album kills!

A great guitarist who doesn't get near enough attention.

9. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Go Goodrich. Reliable & proven. Look at the pros who use volume pedals - nuff said.

10. Mojo Tele

Mojo Tele Member

+1 to Allin Hinds, awesome. Tone freak for sure - just nails great tone.

What new Boss where you referring to I.T.? The FV500L??

11. stevieray

stevieray Member

Hilton is potless, and the Goodrich LDR is as well.

12. OOG

OOG Member

13. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I'm lucky in that I get to see him play/teach at school (GIT) in open-counceling weekly. His style is so smooth, fluid and effortless you don't believe he's actually pressing the strings against the frets. He's quite a gear nut too, the main OD he's had on his board for years is the Xotic AC Booster, that into a Fender Deluxe Reverb, but really, his tone is all in his superb playing technique. He uses the Goodrich for both volume swells as well as turning down between tunes and tuning up.

14. Keld

Keld Member

The old silver Morley optical units are nice.

15. sandman

sandman Member

what happens when you put a volume pedal before a certain fuzz?
    does it act like a buffered pedal - alters the tone in a bad way?
    Is it possible using it to control fuzz oscillation like a guitar volume pot?

thanks

16. covert

covert Member

Nearly anything. I haven't had a chance to use any of the goodrich pedals, but the old Moreleys are indeed very good, except for their size. The boss pedals are okay, as passive resistance pedals go, although I'm sure some of the snobbier types will swear they suck tone. I'm currently very happy with the George Dennis. I used to like the Visual volume, but it had a rather funky construction, and other pedals picked up clicks from the led switching circuits.

17. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I just landed a Boss FV500L to replace my EB SVP. So far so good, but the taper is a little more sudden than the EB. It doesn't knock off the signal like the EB did.

18. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Right on!

My Sho-bud vol pedal was the first "effects pedal" (if you can call a vol pedal that...though I DID use it to "violin" the guitar, which is a swell effect !) I ever bought. Got talked into it, as a kid, when I finally had saved up a little cash, walked into the store thinking of some phase-shifter, or flanger...trying to decide what COOL pedal I would buy...
    and the salesguy talked me into a gaddamned volume pedal!!

I walked out in a daze. Got home, thinking I ought to kick myself for being so dumb (I was really young, and the music store guy was not only coo, but a musician!!...) but started using it immidiately in my band and noticed how nice it was to violin, how useful for easing up into the right level...etc.

That was in about 1972 oe '73 I think. I STILL have it and it still works like a charm. Right from the start I used to have to, pre-gig, screw in the side screws on it to get it to stay where I put it with my foot...but other than that. I bought an Ernie Ball Jr. vol about 2 years ago, not because the ShoBud quit working but more space limitations (shobud is kinda bulky).
    and started using the shobud as an expression pedal for my vibe, works well.

After one gig, around '76 or so, I left but in packing had left the shobud on the roof of my '67 Mustang. I drove home...quite some miles, found it was missing, drove back and about 200 yards from where I drove off, it was in a ditch...tire tracks on the cardboard box (I actually kept the damn box :) up til a few years ago) obviously it had been run over and landed in the ditch. Still worked just fine.

Not that many companies actually make them...it'd be kinda cool to have a list of all vol pedals available.

Ernie Ball (several models)
    Behringer (Anyone know about how their vol pedals are?)
    Boss (first I heard of a Boss vol ped)
    Hilton and goodrich named here (never heard of them myself)

Others?

19. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I have a potless Hilton and it is the best avail.

For the money it has to be.

20. jaimo

jaimo Member

I have an EB and a Goodrich LDR2. The EB is used at live gigs. The LDR2 is session work.
    The better sounding pedal? The LDR2. No sig loss or tone change. Kind of scary how well it works and tranparent. Really outstanding. Love it. Expensive.
    The EB is great for live. Takes abuse to a degree. Sounds good enough for live gigs. Rugged. Reasonable price.
    MHO