Volume Pedals - is there really that much difference?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by laughingsam, Feb 6, 2018.

1. amz-fx

amz-fx Supporting Member

The simple answer is that the buffer doesn't care if the value of the pot in the volume pedal is 25k or 250k. However, that is not all that is at play here.

No pedals are used in isolation. By that I mean that they are driven by a signal source that has a characteristic impedance and have to drive a load which also has an impedance.

If the buffer is driving a volume pot, then the pot is part of the load impedance. This is where problems can arise. A large value pot will sometimes interact with the input impedance of the pedal that follows and produce volume or tone changes that were unexpected, especially when being switched on or off. This has been a problem on a couple of well known boutique pedals (that I won't name).

If I planned on using a buffer before a passive volume pedal, then I would go with 25k or even 10k, if available.

Best regards, Jack

chops612 likes this.
  2. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

There is a spectrum of how they suck tone and how they break. If you prefer the classic ‘string break, then buy a kit to fix it, then spend several frustrating minutes trying to thread it into the mechanism...’, EB is the go-to for a reason. If you like ‘sheared metal screws that can’t practically be removed from the treadle’, I recommend the full size Boss. If you prefer the frustration of ‘I’ve had this damned pedal on my board for 5 years and nothing has broken despite repeated abuse’, then get a Mission - but don’t say you weren’t warned!

3. laughingsam

laughingsam Member

Practice is tonight, looking forward to playing around with it at band volume.

So far, at home, I like the feel of the Dunlop Dunlop my foot and haven't heard cliffs or uneven tapering.

4. Penguinchit

Penguinchit Member

Anyone mention the Dunlop Volume X yet? That's what I rock. No string to break (it really is a PITA), hasn't developed a squeak in the hinging, tuner out or it can be an expression pedal. Sleek black look and priced very well, especially used.

[​IMG]

5. charley

charley Silver Supporting Member

My $0.02

If a volume pedal is an integral part of your sound, you just can’t beat the Lehle. It is superior in every respect. The buffer is excellent, and the pedal is built like a tank.

I tend to think a volume pedal is a must for every pedalboard, either used as a master volume at the end, Or in lieu of the guitars volume pot at the beginning, or even after your od section.

However, the Lehle is expensive. If you have a buffer on your board already, and the volume pedal will come after it, you could try something passive. I used to use a mission vp1....it was a big improvement over the eb.

My thought is this....if i want to get something new, I usually like to get the best. My experience in not buying “the best” is that eventually I end up upgrading if it is something I find myself using regularly.

The Lehle, IMO, is the best. If you are not sure about volume pedals yet, and don’t know whether it will become an integral part of your setup, then start small. You can always upgrade....

6. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

Lehle
    after fuzz
    what goes in comes out
    wide, linear sweep
    built like a tank
    uses that magnetic science thing to control the volume
    I like it

7. wrong_note_rod

wrong_note_rod Member

the ernie ball is great, until the string breaks.

its ridiculous how difficult it is to repair it. I couldnt do it, I gave it to two different tech guys and neither got it right.

Bought a Fender volume pedal, no string, never looked back. If there was any difference in my glorious TONE, I didnt hear it.

8. BillyK

BillyK Member

Jack,
    Thanks for picking up my question! Thought it was going to be lost in the sauce.
    Excellent advice.
    -bk

loudguitars56 likes this.
  9. stahlhart

stahlhart Member

This is unfortunate for me, as the EV-30 is working perfectly with the BED and Vibe Machine V2. I hope it holds up.

10. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

Unlike the EB string issue, I don’t think many players have this issue. Perhaps it’s as that police officer said ... I have a heavy foot??

Geoffrey and stahlhart like this.
  11. BillyK

BillyK Member

Let us know how the thru-tone works out.

madspirit likes this.
  12. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

I don't use one a lot, but when I do, I use the EB MVP. It doesn't suck tone and has a nice sweep. I still don't use the tuner out though.

13. BillyK

BillyK Member

Buying one this week. Currently debating the EB MVP or simply using a 25K EBJr right behind a good buffer (I use a Polytune3 with Bonafide buffer first in chain). The MVP provides the flexibility in placement should I move it to other locations in the chain, the 25k EBJr would require moving the buffer too or being sure to place it behind an always-on pedal. On the flipside, the MVP buffer reportedly introduces it's own tonal changes, so there's that. Leaning towards the MVP at the moment.

14. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

The tone suck is real.

15. BillyK

BillyK Member

Yup - I agree.
    But with a buffer in front of a passive 25k vp , or with a buffered vp, I expect suckage to be minimal - maybe non-existent.

16. mike6m

mike6m Supporting Member

Never been bothered by the “tone suck”

I’m no expert on volume pedals, but I was gifted a jhs EB volume and actually prefer the passive EB (using the tuner out on both). The JHS buffer seems to soften the attack of my guitar.

I owned a Hilton for several years and prefer the feel of the EB.

Probably too much forum reading made me think that I needed to look for something better.

As for the string, I went 10 years without breaking one. First time I broke one was because I was using the pedal to catapult beer cans. Learned how to fix it. Second time I broke the string was because my 4 year old thinks it’s hilarious to mute my practicing. Honestly, pretty durable.

17. BillyK

BillyK Member

Really interested in your technique when catapulting beer cans off a volume pedal. I mean, this is TGP, right? There's got to be some aspect of your technique that I can disagree with. Plus, can a Hilton produce more distance or a higher trajectory than your lowly EB pedal? I bet it can - has to, it costs more.

Seriously, thanks for sharing your insights. Lots of players just like the venerable EB pedals - "crappy" string and all.
    Likely I'll be buying one.

18. mike6m

mike6m Supporting Member

There aren’t too many players doing beer can/volume pedal tricks. In order to get the lift, you have to put more force on the pedal than optimal for volume pedaling. But it looks great when you land the last note of the solo, stomp down and a beer is delivered to the space in front of you above your waste. You wouldn’t think so, but people are really amazed by this move during church services.

19. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

The string on my EB 6166 got loose over time as to where it never went fully silent. I had EB replace the string for about $60, a little pricey but better than trying it on my own it sounded like. It had since got off track but I managed to fix that myself and it's still going.

My other board has the Dunlop Volume X and I like it better, less tone suck and smaller with no string to break.

20. madspirit

madspirit Member

So far, it's great. Great work on the mods/upgrades. Looks cool ;) Mainly, I'm hoping it just lasts without giving me the trouble I've had with the stock version.