volume pot fade on American deluxe strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by staypuff54, Dec 24, 2009.

1. staypuff54

staypuff54 Member

Hey there,

Hoping to get a little advice on what to do with my strat. I've got a 2001 Fender American Deluxe strat with an HSS configuration. I love the guitar, it sounds and plays great, but I have one beef with it. It's that the taper on the volume knob is very uneven and abrupt.

A big part of my playing is using the volume knob on the guitar to control the amount of gain and I like to play with a lot of knob swells. The knob seems to do almost nothing when turning from 10 back to about 7 and then it abruptly cuts down to about half of the full bore "volume".

Any advice on how to rectify this? Could dirty pots be the problem? Or will I need to upgrade the electronics or the pots on the guitar? If so, what do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

2. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

Is this the pot with the S1 switching? If you want to keep that, you're probably out of luck and that pot is not very easy to get. I pulled all that stuff out of my Am Dlx Strat and replaced it with an RS kit and Fralin pickups and couldn't be happier.

3. staypuff54

staypuff54 Member

No S1 on this. Could you elaborate on the RS kit? I'm not familiar with those.

4. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

5. strat6866

strat6866 Member

The RS kits are great. The do wonders for the volume and tone knobs. They are actually usable!!