Volume pot roll off question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by PLAYLOUD, Apr 19, 2018.

1. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

Is there a trick to keeping the high end when rolling down the volume pot on the guitar? I seem to lose the high end when doing this. thanks

2. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Yes add a treble bleed filter to your volume pot. Usually a cap parallel with a resistor - values may vary depending on your setup.

Juan Wayne likes this.
  3. lemonman

lemonman Supporting Member

Either a treble bleed or what's referred to as 50's wiring will do it; each do it differently, and with different advantages and disadvantages.

8len8, massacre and Juan Wayne like this.
  4. Juan Wayne

Juan Wayne Member

All of the above. Also, don't buy into the "higher pot value makes the guitar brighter" crap. That only works on 10, but makes matters worse the moment you touch the volume because of the huge series resistance you add to the circuit. Anything above 500k is preposterous.

Now, 50's wiring is the simple solution (if you don't have it already). It means moving the wire that connects the volume to the tone control from the outside lug of the volume pot to the middle lug. 50's wiring makes volume and tone a bit more interactive though, but it's not a big deal for most people. It helps partially but it's enough for many folks. I have it on both my LPs and I've never looked back.

Next step is treble bleed, which I have on every other instrument I own. This has to be dialed in more carefully and it can vary according to your needs, the type of pickups, how much you're willing to sacrifice the response of the volume taper (tere's a resistor that'll make audio pots less linear on some types of treble bleeds), but it's damn worth it if done correctly. The most basic one consists of a capacitor and a resistance in parallel, between lugs 2 and 3 of the volume pot (the ones not gounded).

470pF and 160k is a good ballpark on most situations (for my taste anyway), but check out post #15 on this thread, I linked a tool you can use to calculate them: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...ble-bleed-an-lp-or-not.1927165/#post-26131595 (I'm at work right now so I can't link it directly). That'll give you a good starting point.

Lobotomie likes this.
  5. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

Just for fun, here's an interesting little "treble bleed" widget you can attach to the back of your volume pot with double-sided tape and wire in where that sort of thing normally goes...

[​IMG][​IMG]
    The advantages are it's adjustable so you can tune it to your pickup(s) and it's easier/cleaner to wire in. They're $10 at Guitar Electronics. They also sell pots with them already installed, among other interesting things here.

6. Lobotomie

Lobotomie Member

7. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

thanks! that looks pretty interesting