volume pot tightened up?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by thesedaze, Mar 24, 2006.

1. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Alright, so I'm playing last night, luckily @ home and not on stage, but nevertheless I was trying to get some recording done...when my volume pot's shaft tightened up completely. It was functioning fine, and I assume when I was turning the volume up and down it was somehow tightening up the shaft so I couldn't turn it anymore. Does anyone have any idea how to remedy this? Loosen the nut perhaps?

Thanks!

2. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

I don't know what type of guitar this is, so this might not make sense, but is it possible that the knob has pushed down so far as to be rubbing against the body when you turn it? I've had that happen to me.

3. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

I thought that might be the case, but I took the knobs off, and still the issue persists. I'll try to grab a socket wrench and loosen the nut when I get home tonight.

4. Junior

You'll find the nut has nothing to do with shaft tension. Either the pot has collected enough dirt inside to bind up, or it's taken a hit on the knob and something's rubbing inside. Take the pot out and pry up the four little tabs that hold the back cover on. You should be able to clean it out, or see it's damaged.

5. has-sound

has-sound Member

Try spraying a little contact cleaner from Radio Shack into the hole. Then work the shaft back and forth. If it is just dirty, this should fix it.