Volume pot to clean up tone

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Fifthstone, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I just got a new Fender Jimmie Vaughan Signature and will post a review in a few weeks after the honeymoon ends. Meantime...

I notice that rolling back on the volume knob on this particular guitar doesn't produce quite the same effect as rolling back the volume on my other Strat (American Standard with Dimarzio single coils). My old Strat retains the highs and has a broader range of useable tone when I roll back and forth on the volume knob. On the JV Strat, I have a very narrow range where the volume knob rolled back cleans up the tone a bit before drastically losing my highs.

Question is...

Is this likely due to the different pickups (I think the JV Tex Mex's are a bit higher output than my Dimarzio's) or is it maybe due to variances in the actual volume pots?

Can anyone recommend a mod to help retain the high's when rolling back on the volume?

2. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

Somewhat of a guess here, but I'm thinking there might be different pots in there as well as maybe a diff value cap. At your next string change check to see if there is a cap on the volume knob, and use an Ohm Meter to check the value of the pots. Is the Signature a MIM FMIC product? If so I'd check the value of the pots as well.

If you want to retain more of the high's a .1 Microfarad Cap would do it (Going from memory on the value) Check out www.guitarnuts.com he has a good article on this mod with the specific values.

3. Gordon

Gordon Silver Supporting Member

Thats just the way that volume pots work in general. As you turn them down you lose high-end. The way to fix this is to bypass a little bit of high-end around the volume pot so as you turn down that little bit that you bypassed around compensates for what you lose at the pot. You can do this by soldering a smal value capacitor directly from the outer lug that is not grounded (ie the hot lug) to the center lug. Start with about 100pf and see how you like the results. You can go up a bit or down a bit depending on your preference.

Gordon

4. james russell

james russell Silver Supporting Member

Go online to acmeguitarworks.com and click on their electronics parts and scroll down to the "other stuff" category. About halfway down the other stuff page is their volume pot capacitor/resistor kit. They charge $2.50, but you can get the same stuff at any electronics store for less. Made for exactly that issue on your JV Strat.

5. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Most cool. Thanks all!

6. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

You can make the cap value high enough to fully retain or even increase the relative highs as you turn the volume pot down. That's what I've done on my PRS, it makes the HBs sound more SCish as I turn down.

7. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

The only difference of a tone pot or a volume pot is the capacitor. Try HAS SOUND electronics... superb pots and harnesses.

8. Turbozag

Turbozag Senior Member

The pot is most probably the problem. The cap will also have an effect.
    I'd call RS Guitarworks and get their "Superpot" potentiometer, or their whole upgrade kit. Their Superpot is custom made by CTS for them and it's better than anything else out there IMHO. Not only are the tolerances and components better, but the all important taper is also custon spec available nowhere else...

9. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Turbozag, that sounds interesting. I'll Google. Thanks.

10. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Woah, I checked out RS Guitarworks. Thanks for turning me on to this Turbozag. So have you installed these on your guitar(s)? How dramatic was the tonal difference?

11. Turbozag

Turbozag Senior Member

Yes, I have them in almost every guitar I own.

In all fairness, I used to work there, and I personally worked with CTS when developing the Superpots... They work!

And the difference, is not subtle.