1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Volume Potentiometers for Strat and Tele - help

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pete12string, May 22, 2020.

1. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

Two of my guitars, a Fender RI '65 Stratocaster and an AVRI '62 Telecaster Custom need to have new Volume Potentiometers installed. They both cut out intermittently as the knob is turned to maximum. Can someone point me to exactly what I need?
    Unless it is more difficult than I expect, I was planning to install these myself. Anything I need to be aware of or really careful with? I see that some come with a capacitor - what's that for? I haven't taken anything apart yet. Is the capacitor something I will need?

I don't usually do this type of electronic work on guitars so thanks for your help.

2. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  3. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

Perhaps a can of DeOxit first?
    Seems odd having 2 guitars with similar symptoms.

4. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

^^^ Yeah it does ^^^

pete12string likes this.
  5. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

Yeah, but I have 11 electrics. The Tele was like that when I got it (used) a bunch of years back. Never got around to doing anything about it. Maybe DeOxIt first...

Thanks!

6. big mike

big mike Gold Supporting Member

Probably want a solid shaft for the tele depending on the knob

7. habatu

habatu Member

Also agree with cleaning the pots first. I have used CRC QD cleaner from Home Depot and that cleared up scratchy volume pots.

Also the solder may just need to be reflowed on the pots instead of putting in new ones. I would try those while waiting for the new pots to be delivered.

pete12string and big mike like this.
  8. galibier_un

galibier_un Supporting Member

If you get to the point of soldering, read up on soldering grounds to the back of the pot. It's a problem point for folks who haven't done it before. A search of this forum should turn up useful information. A large percentage of the YouTube videos get it wrong.

... Thom

pete12string likes this.
  9. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

The Mojotone with vintage taper are the ones to get.

pete12string and Bob Arbogast like this.
  10. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Supporting Member

For volume yes; not for tone.

pete12string likes this.
  11. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

I agree that you should just try cleaning them out with DeOxit first, you most likely won't need to replace them. Cleaning pots is normal maintenance IMO, as the track wears inside the pot it leaves residue that can cause intermittent problems.
    Al

12. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

While you're in there, consider a Parrish treble bleed. Very smooth volume reduction ;)

[​IMG]

pete12string likes this.