Volume Swells?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mewithoutlouie, Feb 29, 2008.

1. mewithoutlouie

mewithoutlouie Member

How exactly do you all pull off volume swells. I know it's you use a volume pedal after dirt, before delay...but does anyone have more details, tips, and/or advice on how to pull swells off.

All help is greatly appreciated.

2. jtw

jtw Member

I've just always used my vol knob on the guitar, ala Jeff Beck. Hit the note, roll into the swell, repeat :BEER

It's maybe a bit more awkward than using a volume pedal, but I've actually found that using the volume knob on the guitar to be way more expressive.

3. trisonic

trisonic Member

Me three, it's a lot easier with a Strat..................
    I get bored with the what goes where jive - mostly direct into amp again now.

Best, Pete.

4. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

wow i'm an idiot. i wondered why so many people had volume pedals on their boards. "just use the volume knob on your guitars, folks!" but now i see that you can use one for swells, kinda like a wah wah pedal - foot control versus hand control. nice idea, now why didn't i think of that? guess i don't need to flip the controls on my tele after all!

5. theroan

theroan Member

I use the volume pedal and swells is one of the main reasons I got it. A lot less can go wrong. Swells work really well with lots of reverb and delays. The science of it is that there is no amplification on the initial strum or pluck of the strings and then when volume is introduced all you have is the resonance from that pluck or strum. I love using tremelo and reverb together for swells, I use the Line 6 Verbzilla on the cave setting and it sounds huge. As well, you need delay to carry the sound further, I find some subtle phase help smooth it out between echoes.

6. Bradders

Bradders Member

There's also oter way s to do the swell thing for example using a line 6 echopark - it has a swell control with a variable time to swell the note - if you like. Obviously you can't do a really long dramatic swell followed by a series of shorter ones as your "swell time" s set by whrever the pedal's control is........but I've used it one one or two songslive with great effect.

Bradz.

7. airbus

airbus Member

Mark Knopfler is a master at using both the vol knob and pedal for swells.

8. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

volume pedals are convenient to swell full chords...especially for non-strat guitars.

9. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

just great. now i want a volume pedal. thanks guys.

10. jonathansuhr

jonathansuhr Member

OK stacked OD's for a singing lead tone, that goes into volume pedal. i use a quarter note delay on my DD5, that goes into a DL4 set to half notes. Sometimes I add tremolo to fatten it up.

11. mistercoffee1

mistercoffee1 Member

I use a EB Volume Pedal Jr active in my effects loop (after dirt), before Delay and Clean Boost.
    Because the taper isn't so swell friendly, I have to start the pedal around 25% forward rather all the way back, and then strum a chord or note pretty hard just before I want to start swelling in. And then rock forward gently using your ears to guide your foot (if that makes sense). You can add delay or reverb to taste.

12. thewex

thewex Member

my volume pedal is at the beginning of my chain and delay is close to the end. its hard to hit both quickly (lots of tap dancin) but i pull off the swells that way. when i played a strat more consistently i used the volume knob on there.

13. rongtr

rongtr Member

I also use both the volume control on my strat and an Ernie Ball volume pedal. The volume pedal works well when I want to swell whole chords and I need all of my right hand fingers on the strings. I used to swell notes with the volume control on a Les Paul, ala Dickey Betts on In Memory of Elizabeth Reed on the Fillmore East album. That's hard!!

14. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I can do the guitar volume swell thing just fine but the pedal is SOOOO much easier to use and sounds MUCH better for 2 big reasons.

1. With a pedal you have the FULL volume sweep at your command. Using the guitar volume I find that you have a very limited range of control because you need to be closer to the low end of the volume sweep in order to clip off the attack of the note. Consequently its very difficult to quickly go from volume 0 to volume 10 while picking at the same time - in fact, IME, its impossible. Therefore when I swell single note lines from the guitar my over all volume and gain drops considerably. Plus over longer runs your sweep tends to slip toward higher volume and then the attack begins to creep in killing the coolness of the effect.

2. You can place the volume pedal in the best order for whatever sound suits you. In my case I like the volume pedal after OD and before delay so I can swell fully distorted chords or notes in and out but have the delay trails going full volume the whole time.

The downside is that volume pedals are large and tend to suck tone.

15. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

Volume swells are really fun in front of a delay pedal with long delay time and lots of repeats. Add some modulation and you can get some nice ambient synth sounds.

16. sgs

sgs Member

Hey MrCoffee,

The EB Volume Jr. has a little switch inside that changes that linear taper to a more even smooth swell. It's exactly the reason I bought that one... 'cuz I hate that linear taper thing. Just reach in there with your finger and flip it up!

17. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I've only used Ernie Ball pedals so not familiar with the swell range on other pedals but for mine I just know where the sound becomes audible and keep my foot right below there to start and then try to roughly find that spot each time. Just something to play around with and you'll get a feel for it.

18. Digam11

Digam11 Member

Nils Lofgren is also. He has what I would describe as a big rubber washer on the volume knob on his Strat that he used his pinky to turn. Has been using this style for years.

19. Digam11

Digam11 Member

Any difference between a volume pedal and a swell pedal ?