Volume/ Tone Knob Removal

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by PFunk, Jul 29, 2008.

1. PFunk

PFunk Member

I have a Epiphone Japan Les Paul (Japan Market) and I want to replace the pickups and pots and caps with some higher quality components. This guitar has the older-style amber top hat shaped knobs and the ring with the pointer underneath.

Are these knobs supposed to pop-off somehow? These particular ones are really "on-there" and if anyone has any tips on removing them then please let me know.

Also what determines if the guitar needs long or short shaft pots?

Thanks.

2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

A workable tip that I picked up around here for knob removal is to use the handles of an ordinary plastic shopping bag inserted under the knob, and then pull. It works, and no damage.

A long mounting shaft is required for a thick body, so the threads extend through.

3. neil99

neil99 Member

Take 2 spoons, one on each side of the knob and use them as levers to pop the knobs off. Put a rag underneath the spoons if you are worried about the finish. Works like a charm.

4. Bob V

Bob V Member

Chances are you need long shaft pots on a Les Paul style guitar with a carved top.

5. PFunk

PFunk Member

Thanks all for the comments and ideas- I'll have at it this weekend.

6. stringer

stringer Silver Supporting Member

Always just used a soft rag. Take the edge and slide it under the knob all the way around and pull up. (similar to the plastic bag method)