Voodoo 1 appreciation

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jeffinaustin, Dec 20, 2005.

1. jeffinaustin

jeffinaustin Supporting Member

Curious as to others findings on this pedal. I just got one today (purchased for a ridiculously low price from a guy here on TGP) and really am impressed. My favorite boosts have been the Green Channel on the Proanalog Dual Drive and the RC Booster. This seems to fall somewhere right in between those two. Not quite as clean as the RC but not quite as "almost an overdrive" boost as the DD (settings on the Voodoo are Gain - 7:00, Tone - 1:00, Output - Max). My Keeley TS9+ sounds fantastic going into it too.

I know this isn't the newest, flashiest or most expensive boost around but I really like the way it makes a strat sound. REALLY big! :dude

2. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

I've been interesting in it for a while but always read that they have a serious bass boost going on. Do you also notice this? How does it work in front of an overdriven amp?

3. TomK

TomK Member

I've been on to that pedal for a long time. Michael Landau uses one as you describe with a TS-9 for a very thick and singing lead sound. It is a very underated pedal largely due to a lack of marketing....and what marketing Mayer does do often makes no sense....

Nonetheless all of the Mayer pedals are top notch.

4. jeffinaustin

I run my rig just slightly broken up and use pedals to push it into overdrive so I'm not sure how it would work into an already dirty amp.

It does thicken the sound up but I didn't really think about it as a bass boost, meaning that it didn't seem exaggerated to me at all. The tone knob has a fairly wide sweep (and it's really interactive with the drive knob) and can thicken or thin out the sound pretty nicely.

I won't say this feels quite as good as the green channel on my old Dual Drive, but it's real stinkin' close. I like it better than the RC Boost I used to have. It's got more vibe going on....

5. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I thought Scott Henderson used one on Dog Party, loved that tone.

Gilbert

6. jgyn

jgyn Member

I've got one- sounds REEEEEAAALLLY good between a Stratocaster and Non MV Marshall.

7. landru64

landru64 Member

scott used his narrow ts808 into the voodoo1 on a low gain setting for dog party. i actually bought that voodoo1 (which i sold to jeff) right after i bought scott's narrow 808 several years ago. of course, the combination really nailed that tone, which i love!

8. jeffinaustin

So do I actually have Henderson's old Voodoo1? :eek:

9. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Scott still uses a Voodoo, so I doubt that is actually his, but it it were his I'd be proud like a peacock! :BEER I couldn't be without one. It takes any OD pedal and makes it much better, more amp like. Hardly ever use it as a stand-alone OD, but it will do that as well. Takes a little more amp adjustment for that though, which changes all the other pedal-amp interactions.

10. jeffinaustin

I'm finding I can leave it on all the time and just work the volume knob. On 10 I get a nice breakup that's great for chord work and that basic spanky/slightly overdriven strat sound. Back it off to 7 or so and it cleans up nicely. Down around 5 I've got a great clean tone with just enough chime. When I hit it with my Keeley TS9 I get the exact same results except that on 10 I have more sustain, at 7 it cuts through a little more (does away with some of the low end of the Voodoo- a good thing the way I'm using it at least), and on 5 I've still got a fairly clean sound but it just sings a little more.

BTW - this into the Flexi 50 is awesome! :dude

11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Okay, I give up...just bought a Voodoo 1 from a GP forum member. Thanks for stirring up my GAS guys:)

12. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Glad I read this thread, I've had a voodoo 1 for some time and forgot they can be used as a clean boost. I got it out and put it on my church board in front of an AC Booster set for very low gain. Alone it gives a nice fat clean boost and with the AC a good gain as well as fat. Thanks for reminder.

13. jeffinaustin

Well, whatayaknow... I've been gigging this pedal now for a couple of months and still like it! Best $50 I've ever spent :)

14. drolling

drolling Member

Carried his Suhr down to the truck after the gig in a sleazy bar in upstate NY. I think the experience improved my tone a bit, but did absolutely nothing for my chops..

15. tomgioia

tomgioia Member

Did anyone compare the original Voodoo - ! to the " new " version ?

16. never-enough

never-enough Member

great pedal.
    ive had mine for around 8 or 9 years now, and i am actually putting together a new rig where i will be using this pedal once again. testing it out yesterday made me wonder how i have gotten along without it!
    i used to run it with a slight volume boost and the gain up around 3 oclock for a meaty crunch sound, this time around the volume is maxed and the gain is low, it sounds great as a low gain booster!

17. guitbeef

guitbeef Member

So I take it the general consensus is to run overdrives into the Voodoo (for example, a TS output into the Voodoo's input), not the other way around?

18. DutchGuitarDude

DutchGuitarDude Member

How 'bout using the voodoo1 as a boost before other drives. Like Landau does?
    Anybody have experience with that?

Sorry for reviving this old thread...

19. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Was listening to Landau's Burning Water works. Voodoo1 came to mind.