Voodoo 59's or Lollar Imperials

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by EXP, Sep 8, 2005.

1. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

ive narrowed it down to these two, ive heard each may have flaws though. the Voodoos tend to be bright, and the Imperials could squeel under high gain? who here has tried either pup?

2. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

anybody?

3. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

I don't have any experience with the Lollars, but I have a lot of experience with the Voodoo's. I currently have have them in 6 Gibson Historic LP's and in a Gibson Historic '59 ES-335 RI. For the LP's I find that I like the following configuration the best:

Neck: 60 HB with an Alnico 3 and 8.3K, Nickel cover
    Bridge: 59 HB with an Alnico 5 and 8.1K, Nickel cover

I go for a vintage PAF type of tone - a lot of clarity, with a combination of warmth and a nice top end. I mainly gig with Blackface Fenders and only use a Landgraff boost pedal, and this combination works really well for me. In one of my R9's the bridge pickup is a bit bright, but not overbearly so. WIth the other 5 LP's the pickups are all nicely balanced, clear, well defined and sound wonderful.

For the ES-335 RI I had Peter Florance custom wind the following for me:

Neck: 59 HB with an Alnico 3, 8.0K, Nickel cover
    Bridge: 59 HB with an Alnico 5, 8.5K, Nickel cover

I was looking for a tone similar to my '59 ES-355 and Peter nailed that for me. Initially the bridge pickup on this guitar was a tad bright. Peter suggested that I replace the caps that were in the guitar with a pair of NOS .02 Black Beauty caps, which made a huge difference. I mainly use both pickups together, and the sound is awesome.

I would suggest that you give Peter a call and tell him exactly what you're looking for and I'm sure he can wind them to fit your specific requirements. BTW, I've also tried several different Rolphs, WRC Fillmore's & Goodwood's, Timbuckers with the EdA wind, Fralins, Harmonic Designs and Tom Holmes. The Voodoo's work best for me, but all of the pickups I mentioned are excellent, and sometimes you have to go through the process of experimentation to find what works best for you. Fortunately, all of these pickups are very easy to resell, so experimentation is reasonably affordable. Also, I upgraded the pots (CTS) and caps (Black Beauty or Cornell Dubilier ) on each of my guitars, and that also will factor into the resulting tone. Also, I had Peter lightly pot all of my pickups to prevent squealing.

FVB

4. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

All those pups mentioned by FVB are good. I have a Voodoo '59 in the bridge of a R7 and go back and forth between that one and Tim White's very first EdA wind he did for Ed Amantia.
    I find that both of them are a touch brite but they deliver the goods.
    Like I said...all those pups mentioned are great but I think my favorite is Wolfe's pups.
    I have a 50's magnet set and a greywolfe set and they are both phenomenal!!!:dude
    I like the vintage PAF tone as well and all those pups nail it. AS a matter of fact I have a vintage PAF and Wolfe's 50's mag set is just as good if not better than the holy grail. To my ears anyways.
    Good luck on your tone quest.

Give Wolfetone a try. The man will make you what you need. You tell him the sound you have in your head and he will nail it!:dude

5. tacorivers

tacorivers Member

I have a set of Voodoo 59's (Alnico 5 bridge, 3 neck) in my 58R LesPaul and I'm done searching for the best pickup. Very nice PAF tone!

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

I play a Cornford Harlequin and Lollar Imperials - never a squeal. I've played an Imperial loaded guitar at Greg Germino's Tone Shack through every model in his lineup, including the Headroom 100. Imperials fared well with all of those. I do have a prototype set of Lollar's minis which squealed like Ned Beatty (in Deliverance) B4 Lollar potted them for me. Now nice and clean and clear. I've played 1 set of Voodoos in a Terry McInturff guitar. Good sound. To me Lollars have more 'punch' to them. I dig that!

7. rippingtone

rippingtone Member

...GO WITH THE LOLLARS...MUCH SWEETER AND MORE COMPLEX

8. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

could you elaborate on that?

9. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

same here... in an A/B with 2 very similar R8s, mine w. the original Classic 57s and my friend's w/ the Voodoo 59s, the difference was very subtle, the Voodoos sounded a little more open and airy. I made the switch and like it but it wasn't an earth shaking night and day change. I've had no squealing from them.

On my '59 335 Historic OTOH, the stock Classic 57s sound so good (damn close to a couple of good old '59 and '64 335s) that I've left them in there.

Jon