1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

voodoo 59's question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by garfight, Jul 1, 2005.

1. garfight

garfight Member

hey guys i got a line on a good deal on some voodoo 59's or 57 classics for my les paul. my question is - are these(the 59's) pickups prone to squeal at higher gain settings? ive got burstbuckers in it now and they are just too hot.im using a mesa studio pre rack setup with the gain set at about 3 on the gain channel.any advice on these pickups with higher gain setups or comparisons between the two would be most helpful

2. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

IF the Voodoo's have covers they may be prone to squealing under lots of gain. Without covers your fine.

I wouldn't waste your money on the 57 classics, It's not that they are that bad it's just they are not that good.

3. garfight

garfight Member

i wasnt too jazzed about the classics they were just offered to me as an option.any idea how hard it would be to remove the covers on the voodoos? i really like that duane-ish sound they are supposed to put out but would like something fairly versatile.

4. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Guest

I don't see why the covers would be an issue. They are potted.

5. garfight

garfight Member

doh!!!!
    i guess that wouldve been the easier question.it doesnt say on their site if they are potted or not.

6. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Guest

Yes it does...

http://www.voodoopickups.com/voodoohome.html

7. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

Actually, Peter told me he doesn't typically pot the '59 humbucker but he can if you want...

8. garfight

garfight Member

just to let you guys know, i went with the voodoos.these are FANTASTIC pickups- i never realized just how bad the burstbuckers are untill i a/b ed them with these.
    thanks for the input guys- i feel like i got a new guitar now!!

9. johnny q

johnny q Member

Peter refers to his potted pickups as "lightly Potted" and this is something you have to request. Mine came this way, with Nickel covers and I have played at band volumes with a JCM 800 and Boss SD1 - loads of gain and no squeal.

JQ

10. garfight

garfight Member

ive been playing with em for a couple of days now and no squeal yet so im a happy camper:dude