Voodoo Amps witchdoctor rocks!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by shredhead666, Sep 22, 2005.

1. shredhead666

shredhead666 Member

Just got a 50 watt witchdoctor head from Voodoo Amps the other day. It is teh rokk.

I have a gig on Saturday, I'll report more after the gig.

:dude

2. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

Trace makes great amps! :^D

3. bazguitarman

bazguitarman Member

I would love to own one of the 100 watt versions of the Witchdoctor to run in stereo with my 5150 II. It definately is on my short list of EL34 amps. The list being 2 amps long.

Give us a little more indept review when you get time.

Eric

4. jupagblkxten

jupagblkxten Guest

Is it a production head? How is the clean channel?

5. shredhead666

shredhead666 Member

I can tell you right now that this isn't one of the production model witchdoctors. It's an earlier prototype that I bought 2nd hand. It's got EL34s and 6SL7 octal preamp tubes. They have about as much gain as a standard 12AX7 from what I'm told. Mercury Magnets OT, and your standard bass,mids,treble,gain,master knobs. Single-channel.

It's at our band's practice spot right now, and I've been sick the past few days so I really haven't had a chance to put it through it's paces yet. From the little bit that I did get to play through it, it seems to have a quite a few neat characteristics from many different amps I've tried. It's got low-end that sounds very Uberschall-ish and the sweet midrange of a Hot Cat. I'm still kind of undecided on whether I like the top-end or not though. I think I need to try out some different preamp tubes and see what I can come up with.

The cool part is - NOS mullard 6SL7s are still pretty cheap. :D

6. shredhead666

shredhead666 Member

It's a single-channel non-production head. Backing off the guitar's volume yeilds quite a surprising clean! What's amazing is that you can have the gain on 10, and still be able to clean it up to pristine sparkle with just turning back the guitar volume. It sounds way better than the clean on the old Laney GH50L I used to have. For whatever that's worth. :cool:

7. digital jams

digital jams Member

Very cool, did you go for the pimp'd wood shell??? :cool:

8. bazguitarman

bazguitarman Member

Thanks bro. Although I was hopeing you had bought one of the newer production models. I`ve not found anyone yet who has one of those amps and I`m very, very curious about them.

Being sick sucks, especially when you can`t play. I`ve been sick the last few days with bad sinus headaches. I can`t stand to listen to my amp right now.

Hope you feel better soon.

Eric

9. Erik

Erik Member

Very sweet sounding amp...I'm kind of gassing for it's stepbrother, the Hex. I've got to head down to Voodoo Amps in the near future for something else...I'm only procrastinating because I know it'll be difficult to leave without buying a Hex, VPlex, 2x12, 4x12, etc.......

10. digital jams

digital jams Member

Doh, just saw you did not get a current production model. :eek:

11. shredhead666

shredhead666 Member

I used to own a Hex pre-prod as well. Same deal, 50 watter, EL34s. It was Black Sabbath on some SERIOUS steroids! Very cool sounding head. Big sound-spectrum and unforgiving. It doesn't compress much either, so you really have to have your chops up to be able to sound good through it. It's quite a wake-up call! :eek: :cool:

12. MaidenNH

MaidenNH Member

13. shredhead666

shredhead666 Member

Okay, just got done with the gig, and I think my head has stopped ringing enough for a small review.

I've played through a ton of amps, but I really don't know what to compare this thing to. It literally doesn't sound like anything else I've ever played. It has a TON of gain, but even when you have it dimed, it doesn't have that static-ish "metal zone plugged into a TV" kinda fizz or hiss like say a 5150 would. It's a strange thing because the gain really rips, yet every note remains strikingly clear. I think as far as gain goes you could compare it to a Rocca HG100. The voicings of these two amps are of course wildly different however.

The witchdoctor has this REALLY cool midrange voicing that sounds like it's boosted in both upper AND lower mids. I don't know how in the world it does this, but the sound stage is just humongous. We didn't mic the guitar amps last night (thank GOD) so I got to REALLY open it up loud. Lemme tell you, this thing is WAY loud. Rhythm playing was extremely tight and note attack is clear and transient. Low end is truly a thing to behold with this amp. I had the cab setup next to our bassist's 8x10 cab and you could still distinguish the difference in low end between the guitar and bass. They mixed really well together. The high end slices nicely without sounding overly harsh also.

Cleans have that signature voodoo chime and sweetness. Every amp from voodoo I've played have it in the clean channel. It's very unique. It's a single-channel amp but the gain sweep is amazing. You can dime the gain, and still go to pristine sparkle by turning down the guitar's volume knob. I have a Les Paul w/ separate volumes for each pick up so I just switched between the two p'ups to simulate two channels.

My only gripe is that my Teese wah sounded a little bit honky through it which it really hasn't done through any other amp. It could be that the midrange on the amp was set a smidge too high though, and the wah was accentuating that further. I'll have to play around with that a bit more.

Other than that - COLOR ME IMPRESSED!!! :dude

p.s. - we have some video of this gig, so maybe if the sound quality isn't too bad I'll post up a video clip here later. :cool:

14. martinrr

martinrr Member

How much did the amp run you? I'd love to pick up one of those rare oddity amp's that are totally unique! CLIPS!

15. shredhead666

shredhead666 Member

This one was a total steal. It was one of the earlier prototype models built inside a Challenger PA head. The casing covering the tubes and transformers is metal. Pretty cool.

I paid $500.

16. shredhead666

shredhead666 Member

bump for the day crew.

17. Voodoo Amps

Voodoo Amps Member

This one was a total steal. It was one of the earlier prototype models built inside a Challenger PA head. The casing covering the tubes and transformers is metal. Pretty cool. I paid $500.

For those reading; It's important to keep in mind that Paul got his for $500.00 as he has been a customer for a long time and that amp was also part of my private collection. These type of amps normally sell for around $800.00 - $900.00 on Ebay.

Have a great Monday! :)
    Trace

18. scottosan

scottosan Supporting Member

Don't mean just dual mono?:D :dude