Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bluewaterpig, Aug 12, 2008.

1. bluewaterpig

bluewaterpig Member

Anyone have any experience with it? I'm in search of a good Hendrix 'Machine Gun' sound and was wondering if this could do the trick for a relatively low price. Is the Dunlop Univibe much better?

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I had two and didn't like either of them.

The best budget vibe I've used was the Dunlop Uni-vibe stereo chorus. that's a pretty decent budget approximation. The BBE Soul Vibe seems pretty good from the clips I've heard as does the Danelectro Chicken Salad.

None of them are quite like the real thing though.

3. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I have one and I think it does a very good job of imitating the univive sound. There was a shootout posted here by the VP of Voodoo Labs where he played the same thing through three top end vibes and a Microvibe and didn't post the clip identities for a few days. You really couldn't tell them apart and the Microvibe got as many votes as any. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=392830&highlight=microvibe

4. TommyMambo

TommyMambo Member

I currently use a MicroVibe in my board and its okay. I have yet to find a pedal that sounds as good as a real Leslie though, which is what I use it for.

5. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

I got the Microvibe because I did not want to blow the big bucks. It's a reasonable alternative for the price. I would buy it again. I like it and although it does the Machine Gun thing well, it's even better at doing it's own thing.

6. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Thread moved to effects & pedals section

7. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I got one on trade as I had a CC2 with the provibe. Overall the provibe is a lot more versatile and sounded a little better but I hated the virbrato part of the provibe anyway. So in the end the way I was using the Provibe there was really not much bennefit over the micro-vibe as I got it to sound similar. Would I buy one new? Probably not. They sell used for around $100 and for all practical purposes it does a nice job of the vibe effect. If your interested I may sell mine.

8. The P-Man

The P-Man Member

I absolutely love mine. Yes, if you’re Robin Trower and play with the Vibe on 80% of the time it might be worth looking into more expensive and larger options. However, as a mix of price, sound, size and construction I think it’s hard to beat.

I’ve heard people complain about the switchs on VL pedals although others have mentioned that they have resolved these issues in recent years. I don’t know whether this is true but mine feels pretty robust.

Finally, I always run my Microvibe before OD, distortion and fuzz etc. I’ve seen a few boards with it placed after and it always leaves me a little perplexed because mine sounds terrible after any of the above!

9. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I have one and like it ok, minimal use.

I know the VL pedals are true-bypass right? They work with no power, so it's gotta be a true hard/mechanical bypass. But what's weird is, I swear I hear a difference in tone (bypassed) when I have no battery/9v hooked up and when I plug in a OneSpot. How can this be?

In other words, pedal is off, no 9v sound perfect and clear, plug in the 9v and it's sounds a little duller? Has anyone else ever noticed this? I was thinking it was due to some sort of buffer, but that doesn't make any sense. Or does it?

10. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I have one and love it. I'm not a big Hendrix or Trower guy wanting to cop their tone, but I'd say it does it great.

BUT, it doesn't do it stock. There's one simply mod that needs to be done and no soldering skills are required. Simply increase the intensity of the incandescent bulb with the trim pot on the inside (only bump it up a bit, but listen while you do it). This makes it a much more intense phase/vibe sound. Very cool after this tweak.

Also, mine wasn’t fast enough for my tastes so I made a resistor change that made it perfect.

I can confidently say I have no desire to buy another vibe, especially since it’s not a real important effect for me. But even if it was, I’d still say its great.

11. drolling

drolling Member

Good workhorse 'vibe. Stripped down to the basics, it's everything you'd need for Band of Gypsys/Robin Trower type tunes.

I had an early version (no LED, mini-phone jack adaptor plug) and was very pleased with it till I upgraded to a Sweetsound Ultravibe.

I'd rate it as MUCH better sounding than the Dunlop Univibe and as good as other pricier booteek vibe clones I've tried.

Someone mentioned the Dano Chicken SAlad, and I dig that one too. Once you slather on some octave fuzz and overdrive, it's almost as good as it gets.

And someone else said the MV wasn't a particularly good rotary speaker emulator, and I'd agree. But that's not really what it's made for. Altho' the original effect was marketed as such, it's a far cry from the Leslie sims of today (H&K Rotosphere, ect.).

Nice to have both on board :AOK:dude!!

12. wideawake

wideawake Member

The only thing I put ahead of mine is a treble boost and my 69 fuzz, didn't like the Microvibe before them as it does something weird to the high frequencies. But that could just be my experiences. So I go Fuzz - Boost - Vibe - OD - Others. I really like the Microvibe though. I didn't want to spend $300 on a pedal I only use occasionally. And you can get them used for less than $100.

Key for me is to keep the intensity above 3 oclock. That is where the goods are at.

for me anyhow

13. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Interesting article, saw it a long time ago but had forgotten about it. So I'm sure there is something going on with all that, that my ears picked up on. Gees, I need to insure these things sticking out of my head.

14. golgonooza

golgonooza Member

Once the internal trimpot is adjusted for incandescence, it provides excellent performance for minimal cabbage, better than the Danelectro Chicken Salad - itself an incredible value.

It's not an Ultravibe, Deja, or Voodoo Vibe, and if you are looking for a leslie sim, I'd look elsewhere (Rotosim, Destination Rotation...) but as a basic Hendrix-Trower vibe, it punches well above its weight.

-cheers

15. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

I agree on all points. I have had no problems with mine (owned 3 years). I run dirt pedals after, but it does sound good with a boost in front (boost side of Fulltone GT-500).

16. Josh Fiden

Josh Fiden Member

Most likely what you're hearing is ground current from using a non-isolated power supply.

Regards,

Josh Fiden
    Founder / CEO
    www.voodoolab.com

17. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

I've had mine for years, I think I got it in 2001, and it still works great, sounds good,
    and it doesn't clip even with hot pickups. I bought 2 Black Cat Vibes and sold them,
    I like my Micro Vibe alot better.

18. gregc

gregc Member

Good vibe, inconsistent as they all don't sound the same. Try the one you plan to buy.

19. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

My first one got sold,Some years later I took a chance on a trade & lo and behold it sounds just fine to me.