1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Voodoo Lab Pedal Power - any difference between the 2 and 2 +???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by the_Chris, Jan 1, 2006.

1. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Hey fellow tone junkies, I'm on the lookout for a quality power supply for my pedalboard and I'm pretty sure the Voodoo Lab's Pedal Power is the way to go. I noticed that the 2 and 2+ look identical except for the logo. Are there any differences? Any reason why I should make sure to get the "+" model?

This is going to replace the power conditioning on my Furman SPB-8... why? The Furman input jacks have been acting up and yesterday the power jacks gave out, so the Furman is a total P.O.S. in my mind (I'm simply taking the power supply off the board and going to be putting a replace power supply at the top of the Furman board to save some cash).

Looking forward to hearing some replies :)

2. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

The "plus" model has higher capacity (200mA instead of 80-100) on two of the outputs, which is intended for the Boss Twin pedals (DD-20 etc). But if none of the pedals you have require that much power, a used PP2 will work just as well. If you intend to buy brand new, make sure you get the "plus" model, as it will have a higher resale value. And who knows - you might end up with a pedal that needs the extra current one day... :)

/Andreas

3. the_Chris

Thanks a lot Andreas, that was perfect... everything I needed to know :BEER

4. Gamle John

Gamle John Member

I have the Pedal Power II (not the +) and it is exactly the same. In the manual it says:

"Two [outputs] selectable to 200mA (Line 6)"

I don't get it. Why a new model if it it is not different at all?

5. the_Chris

Hmmm... I do recall seeing the 2 Line 6 inputs on the PP II, so you may very well be right (in which, I'm just plain confused :jo))

I'm going to send an e-mail to Voodoo Labs about this and hopefully I'll get a response today (from what I've gathered, they're very good about returning e-mails).

6. Gamle John

Gamle John Member

Sadly that is not my experience. I wrote to them twice about powering the Deluxe Memory Man with PP2. I never got an aswer.

Hopefully you have more luck.

P.S.
    About the Memory man. I figured it out myself: I wired two 12,5V outputs in series and it worked fine.

7. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

The limit to how much current a single output can provide is the voltage regulator, and for the PP2 in normal mode it is 100mA max. The "L6" mode is unregulated, meaning that the voltage varies with the load. If you measure outputs 5-6 in "L6" mode without load, you'll be seeing around 16 volts or so. This was done as a cheapskate way to up the max current by bypassing the voltage regulator, giving you access to more current, but also raising the voltage. It was designed specifically for the Line 6 modellers, as they already have voltage regulators inside to feed the circuit a steady stream of the right voltage. They also use up most of the available current, which brings the actual voltage output from the PP2 down to a safe 10 volts or so.

Lately, there have been cropping up pedals that need regulated voltage, but use more than the 100mA the PP2 could provide (the Boss Twin pedals and some of the Digitech X series pedals, for instance). Some PP2 users tried powering their DD-20's from one of the L6 outputs, with varying results - for some it seems to work just fine, while others got a nasty hum. For the "plus" version, Voodoo Lab decided to upgrade the voltage regulators on two of the outputs to a bigger version (with a higher current rating), to provide for those pedals.

So the difference is that where the regular PP2 could only reach 200mA by going unregulated, the "plus" does it with regulated 9vDC.

I sort of recall reading about a month or two ago, about someone who was modding the earlier PP2's by installing bigger voltage regulators. But I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it. It might have been here, though, so someone might chime in with better info on that.

/Andreas

8. Gamle John

Gamle John Member

Damn!

I was planning to buy a DD-20 one of theese days because I read it could be powered by my PP2 (not plus).

Is this not the case? What should I do?

9. cosmos

cosmos Member

Actually, I was able to download both manuals, and they are pretty much identical. So the "+" is just another way of selling more I guess..

10. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Well, lots of people have successfully powered their DD-20's from the "L6" outputs, while others got a nasty hum. That pedal isn't designed to work with unregulated power, so if it works without a hitch, you should consider yourself one of the lucky ones.

Maybe you can do a search of the forum and see if you can find out who was modding the PP2 - I seem to recall that it was mentioned here sometime this past fall/early winter (september-early december).

/Andreas

11. mbratch

mbratch Member

I looked at both manuals, and the "Specifications" sections are different.
    PP2 SPECIFICATIONS
    5.5x2.1mm barrel connectors center negative
    Eight 9VDC 100mA regulated
    Four selectable to 12.3V (Boss ACA)
    Two selectable to 200mA (Line6)
    Two adjustable sag 4 to 9V
    Short circuit protected.

PP2 PLUS SPECIFICATIONS
    5.5x2.1mm barrel connectors center negative
    Six 9VDC 100mA regulated
    Two 9VDC 200mA regulated

Four selectable for Boss ACA
    Two selectable for Line6 Modelers
    Two adjustable sag 4 to 9V
    Short circuit protected.
    So stinkfoot hit the nail on the head w.r.t. the difference.

The PP2 Plus I recently purchased has two items marked "New" on the box. One is 50/60Hz compatible, and the other is that it powers the Boss twin pedals.

12. cosmos

cosmos Member

Well, I'm still not convinced, because the sentence "Two 9VDC 200mA regulated" could mean the same thing as the "Two selectable to 200mA". They both apply to the Line6 pedals, so it's the way they've written it down that makes the difference.

13. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

You can also use two outputs to one input. Just use a y cable where the y is connected to two of the inputs of the pp2. You can then send this on to the DD20. You can also split that signal again if you need the extra dc jacks. Just make sure that you are running it into a pedal like an OD pedal. something that just doesn't require a lot of juice.

14. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

The "selectable to 200mA" line in the old model's manual does indeed correspond with the "selectable for Line 6 modelers" in the specs for the "plus".

However, the 200mA mentioned in the old manual/unit refers to unregulated power, whereas on the "plus" those two outputs has 200mA regulated in normal mode. The "L6" mode hasn't changed on the "plus" - it's still 200mA unregulated power - but the normal mode has. And that is a rather big improvement, at least to those who have pedals that need more juice (in regulated mode) than the old one could provide...

/Andreas

15. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

I think it's time to bring out the :jo smilie...

Of course - wiring two outputs in parallel (not in series, as with the cables that provide 18 volts) will double the available current. Doh, indeed. :D

/Andreas

16. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Supporting Member

I sort of recall reading about a month or two ago, about someone who was modding the earlier PP2's by installing bigger voltage regulators. But I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it. It might have been here, though, so someone might chime in with better info on that.

/Andreas[/quote]

Andreas,
    that was probably Ed at Toneczar.. He mods the earlier PPI &PPII to handle the current draw of the Echoczar by installing heavy duty regulators in two or more(if you choose) outputs. The HO mod is rated 185ma @18vdc using aY power cable.. Ed did my PPI and it works great..
    Chuck

17. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I have confirmed directly with Voodoo Labs that the new PP2+ has two 9VDC 200mA regulated outputs (5&6), specifically for the Boss Twin pedals. So it is 'different' from the PP2, and they're not just trying to sell more units without any changes. That's the reality, no matter how you try to twist what the manuals say. Call them yourself and find out and be convinced, because your speculations are wrong. :rolleyes:

18. the_Chris

Thanks A LOT guys for the info! I haven't heard back from Voodoo Labs, but if I do, I'll post the response here so that the record can be set direct from the source. I'm surprised I couldn't find any threads on this before, but I'm glad I didn't settle with the PP2 quite yet.

Seems kinda weird to me that there is a "2 plus" version that's the same exact price as the regular "2" version (it certainly isn't there to make more money), but I looked around and found Steve's Music Center in New York had some in stock (it hasn't been easy to find a dealer that has them, nevermind in stock).

I think for most people the "plus" won't make much of a difference. At some point, I'm considering an Echoczar, so I may want the extra regulated mA to warrant the purchase. Most pedals run off of 9v or 18v and it seems the normal PP2 can do that just fine (I know Voodoo Labs makes special cables that can combine two of the outputs for an 18v output).

This looks like a killer power supply and hopefully it'll blow away the P.O.S. Furman that was on there. My buddy is going to get me a good deal on a Monster Cable power strip w/ power filtration, so that should cover any FX that won't run off of the Voodoo (I figured it never hurts to have a dedicated filtered output for an amp either).

19. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

I have the pedal power 2 (not the plus) and the Boss DD-20. The DD-20 works perfectly with the PP2 for about 2 minutes and then the noise and then flashing power on power off.

I guess I need the PP2+ because this DD-20 goes through batteries like I drink water! (1 gallon a day):)

20. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

So....I'm guessing that powering a DD-20, two ToneCores ( Rotomachine and OTTO ) and 4 other lighter draw pedals (two OD's, a trem and a tuner) with the new (used) PP2 that's on it's way to my house AIN'T gonna happen, huh???

:(

- Jim