Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Plus 2 questions...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shngn7, Aug 14, 2008.

1. shngn7

shngn7 Member

I finally got one of these yesterday after much anticipation (daisy chains are too buzzy for me). I noticed something, however, that is bothering me and I don't know if they're all like this or mine is just a tad defective.

Is the detachable AC power chord supposed to be so loose? I have to hold mine in and wiggle it around for a little to get it to stay put. Not a tight snug fit at all. Sometimes it will start to sag and I will lose my connection...quite bothersome. When it stays it works beautifully but I don't know if I need to take it back and see if others are similar.

Another thing is (this may be a real stupid question but) do the DIP switches switch between 9v and 12v? It says that there's an "optional cable" for 18v-24v which I can understand...Maybe I'm dyslexic but I can't find in the manual what the other position that's not 9v is...I would like to run my OCDv4 at a higher voltage but don't want to mess with the switches until I really understand them.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

Not sure about the power cable jack... mine always stay in just fine.

RE: Dip Switches - Think I might be way off, so I'd rather get rid of it. Manual should cover that type of thing, and it can be downloaded from the Voodoo Lab site.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  3. geetarman

geetarman Member

All 8 run 9V in normal position. 1-4 if switched offer 12V, 5+6 are for Line 6 products, and 7+8 activate sag control for lowering voltage.

Power cable should be snug sometimes you have to push it real hard to go all the way in and seat properly.

4. Gomez315

Gomez315 Member

I think mine was barely made and it does look like the damn thing is going to come off whenever I pull anything off. The line 6 dip switches I think give 16v of power.

5. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Member

This is the cable you need for 18/24 volt operation. You plug it into two of your available power jacks on your PP2+. Depending on how you have the switches set will determine the voltage operation.

[​IMG]

18v/24v 5.5mm x 2.1mm (straight)
    Combines two Pedal Power outputs (both in standard 9V mode) to create 18V. Great for powering pedals like the MXR Flanger and Dime Distortion, Crybaby 535Q, and various Fulltone and Keeley products.
    PPY: $10.00 - Approximately 20” long, end-to-end.

6. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I forgot or didn't read that 1-4 can be switched to 12v. I'm assuming it's okay to run my Fulldrive II at 12v, right? Anyone do this? I know it will run at 18v but I can't spare 2 jacks, so does 12v make a difference? Or for that matter, could I run it at 16v with the Line 6 outlet?

7. sbnaz

sbnaz Member

I had to open mine up and tighten up a screw holding the ac power jack.

8. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

Ok take a look at your PP2+...make sure the word normal is right side facing up (like if you were to type the word). You'll see the arrow now poining down on the left side of the switches...when the switches are down they are in the normal position and the channels are as follows:
    1. 9vdc w/100mA
    2. 9vdc w/100mA
    3. 9vdc w/100mA
    4. 9vdc w/100ma
    5. 9vdc w/250mA
    6. 9vdc w/250mA
    7. 9vdc w/100mA
    8. 9vdc w/100mA
    You'll see right above the switches there is an "ON" Label if you switch any one those up this is what will happen to the corresponding channels:
    1. 12aca w/60mA
    2. 12aca w/60mA
    3. 12aca w/60mA
    4. 12aca w/60mA
    5. 12-14.5 w/50-250+ (its unregulated)
    6. 12-14.5 w/50-250+ (its unregulated)
    7. adjustable 4-9vdc @ 100mA
    8. adjustable 4-9vdc @ 100mA
    Hope that helps you out...if you want to run your ocd at 18v you'll need to get the special chord from voodoo labs so you can take (2) 9v channels running them in normal mode to get the proper juice...I would recommend them. I just ordered cables from them and there about $3.50 a piece. Give them a call they are great people and the customer service is excellent. If you have a question about any pedal and whether or not it can be powered by there product they can tell you...

Hope this helps:phones

9. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

NO DO NOT PLUG YOUR FD2 INTO CHANNELS 7-8 when the dip switch is up you will fry your pedals....

Those channels when dip switch is activated are only for Line 6 units DL4, MM4, etc...you'll be putting unregulated current into a pedal that needs regulated current...AGAIN DO NOT DO THIS!

Those channels in normal mode are for the boss twin pedals like the giga delay or whatever pedal that might be out there that require more then the standard 100mA...

I currently run my FD2 w/mosfet at 12v and there is a big difference...all you need to do is switch one of them and use this for your mosfet...but I would double check to make sure it can run on less the 60mA (check you paper manual from fulltone) or it will not work...

Again I refer anybody to call Voodoo Lab with any pedal power question using their product. You can get the number from their website...

:phones (DISCLAIMER: IT IS THE READERS RESPOSIBILITY TO DOUBLE CHECK THE INFO PROVIDED...THANK YOU)

10. shngn7

shngn7 Member

Thanks a lot for the responses guys!

I figured out that I had to shove the chord in a bit harder than I was doing before to get it to stay snug.

I also found that running my OCD at 12v sounds a lot better than when I had it at 9v. Really makes it sound more amp-like to me.

11. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Thanks, scratch the 16v idea. Mines the version before the Mosfet FDII came out-don't know if that makes a difference, but I'll check into the 12v outlet and see if that works.

12. Gomez315

Gomez315 Member

PP2+ line6 dip switches are regulated. That's the difference between the normal and plus. I measured the voltage with a multimeter and it was 16v. Search around for the difference between the 2 and the 2+.

13. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

If you go to the manual...they say that when activated the channels 5-6 become unregulated...I'm not lying to you...I have a DL4 and it requires AC...how can somthing that requires AC be able to use DC...I'm talking about the PP2+....

14. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

I would check with voodoo labs and fulltone first...call voodoo labs and ask them what they think. Make sure you tell them you have the old fulldrive2 not the new one with the mosfet...I have the new one and it has a special designed board so it can not blow up...not sure about the old one....send Fuller or Scott an email @ fulltone and see what they have to say...

I'm just saying to air on the side of caution...don't want you to loose one of your pedals you know?

15. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Thanks, I've called VL before and they were very helpful so I'll probably give them a ring.