Voodoo Lab PP2+ and One Spot Ques.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by FenderAmpGas, Nov 10, 2005.

1. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas Member

Hello,

So I took the plunge and ordered a PP2+ for my board. My problem is that I have 10 pedals that I want to power versus the eight power supplies on the PP2+.

Would it be ok to plug in a VS one spot in the AC outlet of the PP2 and daisy chain that to my extra pedals?

Thanks!

2. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Not a problem at all. The courtesy outlet on the back of the PP2 is directly connected to your wall, it doesn't touch the 9V side of the PP2.

3. Tinman

Tinman Member

I just corresponded with Mike Pierra (analogman) about this very issue. If I understood him correctly, you would better off running a daisy chain out of one of the Pedal Power 2 outlets to power your additional pedals. The pedals in the chain should be analog and not digital pedals. Digital pedals need their own outlet because they are power hogs. He also indicated to me that the using the Onespot can void the manufacturers warranty on some pedals. This issue arose because I was having some problems with the Onespot. I switched to PP2, followed analogman's advice, and now I have no problems. I am powering 10 pedals with my PP2.

4. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas Member

Hmmm...do you think it would be ok to use the 5 pedal daisy chain from Visual Sound that works with the One Spot with a PP2 outlet?

BTW, here's what I need to power:
    BS-2 Buffer
    Strobostomp
    Janglebox
    MI Audio Tube Zone
    Zendrive
    Tim
    Sherlock Tremit
    Choralflange
    DM-2
    DD-3
    2 Loooper

5. dyer_maker

dyer_maker Member

1Spot daisy chain works fine. ODs are low draw. You can chain several with ease.

6. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas Member

Here's what I'm looking at for a set up. The DD-3 will be where the EQ-7 is and the Loooper will be used to switch between the DD-3 and the DM-2.

Thanks for the replies. I'm still a bit confused. So my final question is can I plug the One Spot Daisy chain into one of the PP2 outlets or is it better to plug the One Spot into the AC outlet of the PP2? Will either way work fine?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

7. dyer_maker

dyer_maker Member

I don't understand why you are still confused. Why purchase a 1Spot when you have plenty of power from the PP2? Just use a daisy chain. You could probably run the TIM, Zendrive, Tubezone and the Loooper off of one PP2 output. Or you could get some splitter cables to run 2 pedals off one output.

8. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas Member

Sorry. I should have clarified that I already own a One Spot with a Daisy Chain. Is it all right to use the Visual Sound Daisy Chain in one of the PP2 outlets or do I need a special Daisy Chain from Voodoo Lab? Also, can I run these 5 pedals (CF, BS-2, JangleBox, SS,Tube Zone) from one outlet or should I plug the One Spot into the AC outlet of the PP2?

Does that make sense? I'm just trying to figure out the best method to power all of these pedals without damaging them.

Thanks!

9. dyer_maker

dyer_maker Member

For the third time and with absolute clarity, the daisy chain will work fine with the PP2 or pretty much any power supply for that matter. Save your 1Spot PS for something else or to use as a backup.

10. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas Member

No need to get nasty. I just wanted to make sure I didn't damage my pedals by incorrectly powering them. However, I do appreciate your advice.

11. dyer_maker

dyer_maker Member

Not trying to be nasty. Just frustrated I answered the same question three times. Regardless you should be able to get 200ma out of the Line6 outputs in case you need to chain or run something with a higher current draw than the 85ma the standard outputs provide.

12. Yek

Yek Member

Time to support Dyer_maker here!

He's correct: don't mess with another power supply running from the PPII (I did it with a second PPII, and always got hum). Just use a (Boss-style) daisy chain from one of the outputs of the PPII. That's the way I do it.

And to anticipate, here's my answer again two times:

He's correct: don't mess with another power supply running from the PPII (I did it with a second PPII, and always got hum). Just use a (Boss-style) daisy chain from one of the outputs of the PPII. That's the way I do it.

:)

13. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Member

I can't understand why the one spot may be "bad for some pedals?
    I have been powering ALL the pedals bellow w/ a SINGLE ONE SPOT for 3 years now w/ VERY regular giging & recording w/ absolutely no noiz & problems!

[​IMG]

14. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Good God Nick! That must be one overheated OneSpot!!

J/K. I've use a OneSpot and it works great.

15. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Member

NAH...it is cooler than JAMES DEAN!:dude :)

16. Yek

Yek Member

Digital power supplies are known to cause high hiss with digital pedals. Not in all cases but search these forums, lots of examples.

17. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Yeah, the newer OneSpots are rated for 1500mA. There's 15 pedals on that board pic, a conservative guess is that they're drawing 500mA total, and more likely half that. The OneSpot is hardly breaking a sweat :)

You can daisy chain off a single PP2 output, however then you have to watch out for two things: (1) current draw, each output alone can handle ~80mA so don't exceed the current rating. As others have noted, ODs and such (anything NON digital and NON delay) are very low draw, so you can probably get away with ten on one PP2 output, and (2) by daisy chaining on a single PP2 output, those pedals are going to be sharing the same ground, so they're susceptible to noise and ground loops, i.e. the power into them is no longer isolated. Not a big deal if you're not getting noise or don't use stereo pedals. Electrically, it's perfectly safe if you run within the PP2's limits.

Think of the OneSpot as one, single, giant 9V battery, and then you take individual taps off that same, single battery to each of your effects. The PP2 is EIGHT individual smaller batteries, and you take a tap off each battery to each effect. That means each effect has its own battery and cannot interfere (power-wise) with another effect. If you split one of those batteries, there is the POTENTIAL for noise/interference (whether or not you actually get nosie is another matter).

18. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Oh yeah, forgot about the digital power supply thing: what a OneSpot and other PWM supplies (like the PowerAll and DC Brick) amount to is this: imagine your effect had an on/off switch. Plug a regular power supply into the effect and rapidly switch it on/off thousands of times per second - with some effects, this rapid on/off makes no difference, others don't take to it at all. Now the $1M question is which effects don't like it: best to consult your owner's manual (you DID keep it, right??? :) to see which FX are compatible with your power supply. In general though, most non-digital pedals that have proper power supply protection and filtering built in (which is the majority of pedals) should be OK. Pedals that are best run on dying carbon batteries should be run from dying carbon batteries :)