Voodoo Lab PP2 + Step up transformer = HUM?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by galliant, Mar 27, 2008.

1. galliant

galliant Member

Am considering getting the pp2+ from the states. The only problem is that it runs on 110V. So by getting a step up transformer, will it cause more hum to my rig? It will defeat the purpose of the regulated output of the pp2 if it did.

Anybody with experience on this?

2. it's been said

it's been said Member

I'm pretty sure you can order it in different versions that allow for the different voltages of different countries. give it a try

3. galliant

galliant Member

over here, we run everything on 220v. so all i have to do is rewire the cable and change it into a 3-pin plug? great! :AOK

although having a big transformer on my rig sure will look fugly.

4. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

If you don't really need the courtesy outlet and the sag function, the BBE Supacharger is basically the same as the PP+ sans these features, and it works on either 110 OR 220V, it's got a built-in voltage switch. ...a bit cheaper than the PP, too.

5. rasj76

rasj76 Member

we have the same dilemma. i live in Dubai, UAE and have been wanting to get a 230V version of Voodoo Lab PP2 Plus. I have contacted Voodoo lab directly and they are willing to build me a 230V PP2 Plus (for US$240 including shipping) in consideration for the fact that they don't have a dealer here.

I'm not sure if they'll do the same for you since you live in Singapore where they have an authorized dealer.

Have you tried Swee Lee Music Company Pte Ltd there in Singapore yet? I got in touch with them and they told me they have a fresh shipment of PP2 Plus.

6. alteredsounds

alteredsounds Member

Just get a Burkey Flatliner. 240v versions and for sale in UK / Europe. One of the very best power supplies available.

7. galliant

galliant Member

+1 on that but unfortunately i dont have such a big space to hold it

Yes I've already checked with them but its too expensive. I can buy a 110v off ebay, buy a transformer and pay for shipping and yet still have some spare cash left.

8. galliant

galliant Member

my bad. step down :AOK

9. alteredsounds

alteredsounds Member

There are quite a decent step-down transformers about that arent too pricey. I've got a ton of US gear that I run, noise-free, plugged into a transformer that I think was about £20. Maplins might even have the model in stock.

10. Teahead

Teahead Member

11. alteredsounds

alteredsounds Member

Well spotted Teahead! Very interested in that as my flatliner is massive!

12. Teahead

Teahead Member

I know exactly what you mean, I have two 18v and three 12v outputs on the Flatliner too and the Six is perfect for my needs with it's switchable voltage.

13. alteredsounds

alteredsounds Member

Same, I can see a few Flatliners appearing on the bay soon.

14. Teahead

Teahead Member

Ha, funny I was just wondering if I could manage without mine for long enough to sell it and buy the Six!