Voodoo lab trem vs Swamp Thang

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shuffle, Mar 9, 2006.

1. shuffle

shuffle Member

Ok, I just bought the swamp thang of a fellow member - great trem.

However, im wondering what the opinion of the rest of the members here think in relation to these 2 trems. Which one do you prefer and why?

I have not tried the voodoo labs one but my friend has got one on the way so i can check it then.

I personally think the 'speed' button on the swamp thang is useless, i cannot get two trem sounds i like with only one speed knob. However the trem is very amp-like as many people have said before, however i think there is a tiny boost in volume.

Not sure if im totally satisfied with it or not. However i do admit it sounds great!! but im just thinking whether there might be a better one out there? I'll give it some time, and a try it in band prac.

What do you think?

2. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I think the Swamp Thang is better. The slow warbles are terrific and it's nice to have the option of two speeds.

The blinking LED is kind of cool too.

The VL doesn't sound as dramatic to my ears.

3. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

i heard a voodoo lab lastnight and i thout it sounded great!!! i was fooled into thinking it was amp trem.

4. righthandman

righthandman Member

I've been using the voodoolab for about 8 years now, obviously I like it a lot. I've never tried the swamp thang but I have checked out some other trems to see if I can find one I like better. The VL has been perfect for me and it's never given me any problems. FWIW I have an older one with 2 knobs and no led.

5. svanangen

svanangen Member

Haven't tried the Swamp thang so I can't comment on that. Owned a VL a couple of years ago and got rid of it because I used a Line6 MM4 for all modulation and assorted wobbling for a while. I have ditched the MM4 and this time went with a T-rex Tremster. Both the T-rex and the VL do a fine job!

6. Bluewail

Bluewail Silver Supporting Member

Can't comment on the Swamp Thang but I've got an older 4 knob VL Tremelo and it's very nice. If I had to nitpick, my only complaint is I can hear it suck a little tone when it's on my board. I'm not sure the VL true bypass is all that "true". It's a pretty minor point since it sounds good when it's active and I use it pretty sparingly.

7. meterman

meterman Member

I have a VL trem and I haven't played a Swamp Thang but I do have a Bruce Bennett Pulsator Trem and I believe they are similar, both being based off of the Trem-Face/Tremodillo circuit??

Anyway, they are both cool, the VL is very blackface sounding, mine is the 4-knob version and it sounds great with a nice range of speed and depth. The volume control is nice too and can actually do a decent clean boost. Unfortunately I am now on my 4th!! footswitch on the damn thing, even though I don't use it much. John Aycock at VL has been super cool about fixing my pedal repeatedly but it's gotten old and I don't feel I can rely on it live anymore.

The Bennett Trem is different, not as clean sounding, and has a volume knob capable of a big gain/volume boost. The range of the controls is not as great, but the overall sound is cool, kind of a low-fi swampy, midrangey trem compared to the VL.

I like both, the Bennett is on my board b/c of the switch issue on the VL....

FWIW.....

8. shuffle

shuffle Member

Well, my mate came around yesterday and we AB'd the two. In my opinion this is what i'd say:

After a tremelo?
    Definately Swamp Thang. Much more throbbing and fatter sounding. Really does seem like its a pure amp trem. Although, it pretty much only achieves this.

After a tremelo plus more?
    Voodoo Labs Tremelo. It has a wider range of trems to choose from, and also a better vibe setting for those that like a slight trem wave, not a blown out punchy trem. It does get the big trem sound but sounds very pedal-like compaired to the swamp thang.

IMHO i would take the Swamp Thang. I like big trem sound. Go back a year i would have taken the voodoo labs trem, not as fat, more versatile.

Cheers

9. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I have covered this before in several posts, so sorry for the repeat. The thing to remember is that you are not comparing apples to apples here. The Voodoo Labs is a triangle wave opto style trem and the Swamp Thang is a sine wave generator in the style of the old Kay and Tremface units (very similar to the Diaz Tremodillo which also copied these circuits). The sine wave trem is more reminiscent of the brown face amp trems, though in reality it works (and sounds) very different. To my ears, the triangle is a very unexceptional trem once you have heard either the sine or the brownfaced trems. It does do subtle trem easier, but once you really get to know your sine unit, you will get the hang of tweeking it to get beautiful subtle trems. The handicap of this particular sine circuit is that the depth and speed are very interactive. You cannot adjust one without readjusting the other. The depth you set, is only the depth at a particular speed. As you increase speed, you must increase the depth. That is what makes some peoples first impression of the Swamp Thangs depth control a negative one. It seems to do nothing for a large part of the controls sweep. In fact it does quite a lot. But at the speed you have it set, a lot of the depth knobs sweep is too low to be heard. This is done to get a decent variability of depth from the pedal. The way the circuit works, if you made the depth noticable at all speeds, you would have to shorten the over all sweep of depth and you wouldn't get too much versatility. The triangle trem circuit, like the VL, do not have this problem to such an extreme. You can pretty much set a depth you like and just change the speed to anything you want. But IMO, you will miss out on the hypnotic lopsided pulse of the sine trem. I have owned both the Swamp Thang and the VL (as well as the Demeter, Diaz, and Fulltone, and a many various amp trems including a brown face). Between the VL and the Swamp Thang, I would pick the Swamp Thang anyday. I long ago learned to live with the tweekiness of the sine circuit and actually don't have a problem with it now. I can quickly get any shade of trem I want more than quick enough for the things I use it for.

10. shuffle

shuffle Member

Thankyou, great input!

Very interesting insight. Just takes time i guess, like any other pedal amp guitar etc to find the sound that really works! And practise.

11. svanangen

svanangen Member

Skrydstrup has a new trem-pedal out that looks quite interesting! Might wanna check that one out to.

12. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

Thanks, hope it helps. I think it is important to know the differences to affectively evaluate these really cool pedals. In the end there is a use for all of them. You will find familiar trem settings in them all.

13. Filter428

Filter428 Member

14. threm

threm Member

As much as I`ve bought a ton of expensive boutique pedals I find the Skydstrup over priced. But then again, it`s blue and Edge uses the stuff.

The TR1 Tremolo is the latest addition to our growing pedal line and it's unlike any other tremolo pedal you've tried.
    If you love the tremolo sound of vintage amps then you're going to love the TR1. It's an amazing unit.
    It has all the warmth and depths of vintage amp tremolo but with the additional feature of a level boost to eliminate the volume drop tremolos' have.

It's a truly unique and very high quality unit that also features our unique RFI protection.
    When bypassed the TR1 Tremolo functions as a line-driver.

Pris inkl. moms: DKK 2.995,-
    European Export Price: €321,- (excl. VAT).
    US Export Price: $374.-

BR1 Bufferooster.
    US Export Price: $329.-

[​IMG][​IMG]
    http://www.skrydstrup.com/PRODUCTS.htm

15. threm

threm Member

Great post, Mapleneck!

Any other trems besides the Diaz that is comparable to the Swamp Thang?

The Cusack looks interesting;

- Tap your foot twice on the tempo switch to set the tempo.
    - Choose from 8 predefined wave forms, including:
    sine, ramp, blip, bleep, square, waver, echo, and ping pong
    - Adjust the depth of the tremolo.
    - Brake: You can speed up or slow down the tempo by holding the tempo switch down.
    - The third knob can be configured to do one of two functions:
    1. Fade in the tremolo effect, or
    2. Change the speed at which the tempo is adjusted using the brake function.
    This is set by moving a jumper, which is included with the pedal. The default setting is to change the tempo adjust speed.

http://www.cusackmusic.com/?page=details&type=Products&item=Tap-A-Whirl

[​IMG]