• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Voodoo Lab Tremolo Alternatives?

GuitarArt1980

I'm in the market for a Tremolo pedal. I used to have a Voodoo Lab tremolo that I loved, but I had to replace the switch 3 times. What's another tremolo pedal that is comparable with the VD (price and features) but has a reliable switch?

theroan

Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter. The most under rated trem around.

Tap tempo
Subdivisions
Wave shape controls

Around $100 used.

Don P.

Silver Supporting Member
I had the same issues with my VL trem and had to give up on it and after trying a bunch of different tremolos my search ended with the VFE Old School.

78deluxe

Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter. The most under rated trem around.

Tap tempo
Subdivisions
Wave shape controls

Around $100 used.

FWIW, it has lots of great features on paper....in actaul use I found it difficut to get the sounds I wanted out of one.

The Empress was much easier to control with a wider range of both speed an depth where I wanted to set things.

GuitarArt1980

I should probably clarify that I'm looking for a simple pedal that has wave, depth and volume controls and has one switch and is not too large. Main thing is that is sounds warm and full and gets as close to Fender-type tremolo as my Voodoo Lab did.

Rory_Rules

Silver Supporting Member
tremtop600.jpg

ryanmc

check out the penfar crimson clover. 130$ new sold at prymaxe (so free shipping). volume, wave, depth and speed and blinking LED to rate. looks and sounds pretty awesome! I think it's a one man business and he seems to take care in every pedal that leaves his shop so that's always a plus.

johnh

I will never buy a VL pedal again. I've replaced switches in 2 micro vibes and am fed up with them. Great sounding pedals, but useless reliability.

wundergussy

Silver Supporting Member
VFE Old School - simple, inexpensive, you can switch to internal 18v for cleaner headroom, and it sounds fantastic. If you don't need tap, this is the one to get.

strombie

Boss TR2 really does sound good, stock or modded.

I had the VFE and it is beautiful on the sine wave side, cruddy on the square wave side.

Josh Fiden

I'm in the market for a Tremolo pedal. I used to have a Voodoo Lab tremolo that I loved, but I had to replace the switch 3 times. What's another tremolo pedal that is comparable with the VD (price and features) but has a reliable switch?
This problem was fixed by changing to a new switch design a few years ago.

The new Giggity and Sparkle Drive MOD don't use a switch at all. The actual audio path is a high-reliability gold contact relay sealed in nitrogen.

Any questions, let me know!

Regards,

Josh Fiden
www.voodoolab.com
www.facebook.com/scarygoodtone

vintage66

I also got rid of my VL Trem after having the switch replaced twice. I got a Fulltone Supa Trem and I'm glad I did-similar type trem but better all the way around. A used one isn't much more than a new VL. They are good about replacing the switches, but by the time you pay return shipping a few times you could have bought the Fulltone in the first place.

This problem was fixed by changing to a new switch design a few years ago.

The new Giggity and Sparkle Drive MOD don't use a switch at all. The actual audio path is a high-reliability gold contact relay sealed in nitrogen.

Any questions, let me know!

Regards,

Josh Fiden

Thanks for the info.

johnh

Hey Josh,that's good to know. Don't know if I can be won back over after owning two Microvibes with bad switches, but its good to know that current pedals don't have that fault. I appreciate your post and I'm glad I've been corrected.

Don A

Gold Supporting Member
If you love the pedal I have the solution.

I bought a Voodoo Lab Tremolo cheap due to a bad switch.

I bought a better switch with solder lugs and hard wired a in the original switch's place- ran wires from the lugs to the PCB.

It's been fine for years.

The only problem that I have with the pedal is that I find its speed and intensity controls to be too sensitive. It's such a good sound pedal that I'll live with those concerns.

stinkfoot

I know people have been having issues with the switches in VL pedals. On the other hand, I've gigged heavily with my 4-knob Voodoo Lab Tremolo for the last 12 years, and it hasn't missed a beat. So YMMV, as always.

On the small gig/rehearsal board, I have a TR-2, and it works fine too. It's been modified for adjustable output level, which was indispensable. Although it should be said that in the current production TR-2's (RoHS compliant, from mid/late 2007 onwards) Boss has fixed the volume drop issue.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Don A has a great solution. A true bypass looper would also solve the issue.
The top of the heap ImHO is the VL or the supa-trem. I had a Guyatone micro for a while and it sounded great, but those little guys stand only a slightly better chance than a dano- mini tuna melt, which has a very nice trem tone, but sucks tone in bypass... Again, true bypass looper. Or softer shoes.

tazzboy

If you contact Voodoo and tell them about the bad switch they will give you and RMA # and you can ship it in and get if fix and ship back for free. That's what I did with my two tremolos.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom