Voodoo Lab Tremolo. Will I like it ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by brewbaker, Feb 13, 2012.

1. brewbaker

brewbaker Supporting Member

I dig the Trem in my Princeton Reverb and Vibroverb. I have a Malekko Trem and it sounds pretty good but is kinda of a one trick pedal. Tell me about the VL. the price seems reasonable, cheap compared to the boutiques I seen.

2. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I had the 4 knob and it sounded pretty good-loved the volume control so you could use it as a boost or just a little louder with the tremolo on. It did kind of get lost in the mix though. I sold it after it's second trip for a new footswitch (VL is good about replacing them but the footswitch is attached to the circuit board). I got a used Supa Trem-much happier.

3. Richard P

Richard P Member

I've tried a lot of trems, both optical and non-optical. For me, the Voodoo Lab didn't measure up to the competition…it's not bad, but I prefer some of the EA variants (like the Stigtronics) and various other optical trems. The Demeter, the Fulltone, the Catalinbread—they're all good.

FWIW, I recently got the Young Pedals trem, The Looker. It's the BEST optical trem I've ever had. Wow!

4. brewbaker

Curious how wide is the Supa Trem?

5. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

I didn't like the VL trem. Settled on the T-Rex...its good enough for as often as I use trem.

6. vintage66

vintage66 Member

A quick search says 6". It takes some board room but being able to adjust with my feet is worth it to me, plus the half/double speed switch.

7. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

I like it. I have a Voodoo Labs and an Empress Tremolo. I like the Vl as its more just basic, set and forget. The Empress is used for more experimental items. If I want just a classic Tremolo, I use the VL.

With that said, I do not use tremolo all the time so therefore I'm not a huge tremolo guy, so I'm not as discerning as someone who uses tremolo a lot is.

I do like the Slope feature on the VL as you can get a nice mix between a triangle (I think its a triangle and not sine) and a square wave LFO going on.

For a good basic Tremolo, I think the VL is pretty good.

8. bandmaster

bandmaster Member

If you are looking for the Fender tremolo sound, the best pedal for that is the Vintage Technology BDF Tremolo.

9. GA20T

GA20T Member

I'm a big fan of good amp trems and vibratos. I own a good chunk of the classics in that department. I love the Voodoo Labs trem. I use it instead of the tremolo on my '65 Bandmaster, as it sounds the same, yet is infinitely more adjustable. The smooth taper waveform/shape (not just presets) and volume controls (excellent warm boost) are excellent features.

10. zwolf

zwolf Member

I have it and have been thinking of replacing it. It gets lost in the mix big time.

11. GA20T

GA20T Member

Can't get a hard enough chop for your use?

12. zwolf

zwolf Member

It'll do the hard chop fairly well, but the smoother, fendery waveforms seems to get lost in the full band mix.

13. brewbaker

Thanks for all the great info. Yeah--the Supa Trem is tempting, but might too big for my board. I bet it sounds good though. And nice to hear that some folks like the VL. As always on TGP, there's a diversity of opinion!

14. MrSoGood

MrSoGood Member

I have a 4-knob VL Tremolo with box and paperwork if you decide you want one. I don't have it listed for sale on the emporium, but I'm getting ready to try either the Tremolessence or the Cusack TAW. I've had mine for about two years, but I'm ready to try something new. It's in nearly new condition. Pm me if you're interested in further info or pics.

Nick

15. meterman

meterman Member

same here. Still have the 4 knobber, like it alot actually for Fender type trem. 3 bad footswitches later and I just can't trust in on my board which is a shame. I don't know if it's poor design, a bad batch of switches or what but I've never had a similar experience with any other switch. Too bad b/c the VL stuff is good sounding especially for the price. I did see a pic where someone had wired in a tiny 3DPT switch to the circuit board which was supposed to take care of it once and for all but I can't find a switch that small....

I also have the Malekko which I think is fine for me but yes somewhat limited and nothing particularly special. I have another tremolo based on the Arbiter Trem-Face which is really cool and different and could actually be used as a dirt pedal too.

16. MrSoGood

MrSoGood Member

I've heard about the bum switches, but I've never had a problem with it. It's been on my board since I bought it new a couple of years ago.

17. meterman

meterman Member

consider yourself very lucky. My first one went soon after I bought it new and they sent me a new one to install. That one went and they sent me another, but after futzing with it a second time one of the ribbon cables broke. So I sent it in and they fixed the ribbon cable, gave me a third new switch. I figured now is the time to sell it since it just came back from the factory good as new and I tested it myself as well. Sure enough, the new owner contacts me immediately about a bad switch!! :bonkSo I took it back and there it sits.

Granted mine is about 10 years old so hopefully they've worked out the issue by now!!! And to be fair all of the replacements and repairs were 100% free and the customer service was very good. But still, replacing 3 bad switches in a row can't be a very efficient/economical way to run a company, better I'd think to invest in better switches to begin with.

18. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

I've like mine so far.

19. Octafuzz40

Octafuzz40 Member

I had one and thought it was really great for the price. I like the shape knob and the volume knob is essential, as tremolo tends to sound like a volume drop. I opted for the Diamond Tremolo b/c I love tremolo and the variety that that unit allows. Never had a problem w/ the switch on my VL Trem either.