voodoo lab???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by µ¿ z3®ø™, Nov 29, 2005.

1. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

any peeps here have experience w/ the voodoo labs stuff?
    specifically the Ground Control Pro, GCX Audio Switcher and the Amp Selector.
    my rig currently is guitar>pedals>radial JD7 amps.
    i've been looking at the LOOOPER as an option as i patch on the fly now (pain in the butt) as i don't like to have any pedals in line that aren't being used for a particular sound. but i'm wondering if the voodoo lab solution is more, better, louder.
    and.....
    i love the JD7 but i kinda want the capability to switch amps on and off. i LOVE the sound of layered amps, but would like the capacity to add another amp w/ more OOOMPH if need be.
    the JD7 will never leave my recording rig. it's versatility is w/o peer in that regard. what i'm lookin' for is something more comprehensive for a 'live' rig.
    what led me to voodoo lab was looking at a layout of mike campbell's rig. i have a lot of respect for his talent and ability to get the exact right tone and vibe for a song. i can't imagine him using tone eating gear.
    what's the story here?

2. oxtone

oxtone Member

I have an original Ground Control that still works great after many years (I had all the switches replaced by Voodoo Labs at no cost after 5 years of heavy use). It instantly switches a four space rack with a Marshall JMP-1, Roctron Replifex, Sabine Rack Tuner and Carvin HT-150 power amp (practice rig for home and running direct for certain gigs and sessions).

I also used to use the GCX Audio Switcher, and it worked fantastic - no degradation of tone using the loops. I used it to control a 10 space rack with two preamps, and a host of rack effects. An excellent piece of gear - very well built and easy to use.

I have since gone to all pedal effects, so I don't use the GCX anymore, but I may use it again if I set up a pedal drawer.

3. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

I could have sworn I posted on this yesterday, but whatever...

I use a GC pro and a GCX. sounds great, works great. Couple line 6 units, and pedals in a drawer, I also use a CFX-4 from axess to switch channels on my V-twin and my Budda. I never set it up to switch amps though, but it can be done easily. My only real gripe is the fact that you have to make up a bunch of one inch patch cords to get from loop to loop on the GCX. Kind of a pain. There should be some type of internal bypass or something if nothing's plugged into the output jack. I don't think the amp selector works with the GCX, but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure that device is straight up audio in, audio out.

I'm at the point where I'm outgrowing it, though. I want to get something that can control my Road King, too. I like Axess stuff, but the RX one which seemed like a killer unit is no longer offered. I'm waiting to see what he puts out next. Also I hear their controller is amazing, and expandable.

4. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

U did.
    i read it.
    weird.
    thanx 4 sharing Ur experience w/ this stuff.
    i'm becoming more and more boggled, tho'. we live in great times 'cuz there is just so much cool stuff. the problem is there's almost TOO much cool stuff. i've now just discovered the framptone three banger which robert keeley is distributing.
    i may start another thread asking about amp switchers in general.

5. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Voodoo Labs stuff is great. I currently own 2 Pedal Powers, a tremolo, and a MicroVibe. In the past I also owned a GCX and the original Ground Control. It worked very well, was easy to use, and sounded good.

However, I believe the Axess GRX4 is a more transparent switcher. The buffer in the Axess is fantastic as well. The GRX4 only has 4 loops, but if you need more you can simply buy 2. They are small, easy to use, and the customer service from Mario at Axess is probably the best you will ever receive.

I know lots of pros use the GCX and it is a good unit. However, I always felt that my sound (and more importantly the feel) of the amp suffered so that I could use FX. Since I got the GRX4 (and a Lehle D. Loop for my pedals) I feel like I can use FX and, when needed, get the transparency, feel, dynamics, and simplicity of plugging my guitar right into my amp.

Terry

6. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

thanx so much for that.
    i'm a total tone nerd. i don't know anyone else that repatches his rig by hand between songs 'cuz they can't deal w/ how the tone changes.
    i believe that axess is canadjun as well. gotta look into that.

7. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Actually, a player was recently featured in Guitar Player who does just what you do! I can appreciate the reasons for doing that.

Yes, Axess is Canadian. Go to Axess.

Terry

8. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

really???
    i don't read GP anymore. who was it?

9. tfire

tfire Member

I use a GCX and a Ground Control Pro. They work well. But if you're looking at getting a switcher, be sure to check out a Switchblade (www.soundsculpture.com). It may seem like overkill when you're first thinking about using a switching system, but it's not. I made that mistake. Now I'm using a Switchblade and the GCX together. I could have saved myself a lot of unnecessary time and expense if I'd gone straight for a Switchblade in the first place.

10. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

I figured you would ask that:) I have been trying to remember and have not had a chance to go through the last few issues.

Terry

11. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

I believe that Steve Kimmock does just that.

David

12. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Yes, he does. It seems to me that there was another lesser-known player covered in Guitar Player who also does this.

Terry

13. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i guess that i need to start reading GP again.
    i have no idea who steve kimmock is.