Voodoo Labs 4x4/ Power supply questions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pete692, Jan 18, 2015.

1. pete692

pete692 Supporting Member

I have a need for an PS with ten 9v outputs. Does anybody know if the 4x4 will do this? Are the 12v outputs switchable to 9? if not, what is out there that will quietly power 10 pedals?

2. kwaping

kwaping Guitar payer Silver Supporting Member

I wouldn't recommend the 4x4 for 10 taps, unless you want to use a couple of splitter cables.

3. MattAnt

MattAnt Supporting Member

10 taps off the 4x4 is absolutely fine. You just need 2 pedals to be daisy chained. List your 10 pedals and I can suggest what pedals can be safely daisy chained without negative effects.

I am only just now upgrading to a mondo for 12-13 pedals

4. kwaping

Why bother getting a 4x4 and daisy chaining when you can just get a different power supply that can handle 10 natively? If the OP already had a 4x4 that'd be one thing, but he is shopping for a new one. That's why I wrote what I did.

5. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Get a Mondo. Powers 12 isolated.

6. pete692

Ok, so what PS would that be?

7. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Which pedals are you trying to power?

8. MattAnt

MattAnt Supporting Member

Because the 4x4 has great mA options and is cheaper and lighter than power supply's with 10 outs?

Also there is no downside to daisy chaining say a tuner and a buffer, or two overdrives.

9. pete692

The usual suspects. A LMMD, 2 TS's, Turbo tuner, MXR Custom Comp, Maxon SD9, a Tim@18v, Maxon AD999, and a wah

How do you daisy chain, what cable would I need?

10. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

Id say if you got enough pedals that get along, get an even smaller supply and get something like a 1 Spot daisy cable to power all of those pedals off of one tap, as long as that outlet has enough current for those pedals theres nothing wrong with that.

I'm doing this soon, getting a cioks schizo (six isolated outlets) to power up to 11 pedals, which in my situation and for the pedals that I'm considering, the cioks is perfectly fine for my application. You'll just have to figure out the requirements of your pedals, and what ones don't mind sharing power together.

11. bettset

bettset Member

i'm looking at getting a mondo. i have 9 with two being 18v so i'll need to get a couple of doubler cables from voodoo. i have an mxr/cae 404 that works fine most of the time, just that at times i've had it cut out then back on when in use recently. that's not gonna work, so i figure it's voodoo time :munch

12. InkStained

InkStained Member

Voodoo Labs rules this arena. And that really is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. kwaping

Cioks DC10 comes immediately to mind.

14. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Still only 8 isolated sections on the dc10, so daisy chaining is still needed.
    The 4x4 also has 8 isolated output sections, is its really comes down to if the op needs the extra power of the 4x4.

For me the mondo is too larger to fit under the 2nd tier of my NYC pedalboard, so the 4x4 is my leading option right now.

15. kwaping

Oh, I didn't know that! I have a 4x4 myself, but I'm only running 8 pedals anyway.

16. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Try a CAE MC403 power supply

17. aj_efff

aj_efff Member

Sorry not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but I still haven't gotten an email back from the voodoo labs guys so I might as we ask here.

So my question is what supply will work best for me. The pedals I have are:

- Strymon Timeline - 300 mA
    - Strymon Mobius - 300 mA
    - Strymon Big Sky -300 mA
    - Electro Harmonix 360 nano looper - 90 mA
    - Electro Harmonix Pitch Fork - 30 mA
    - Tc Electronic Polytune Mini 2 - 40 mA
    - Bondi Sick As - 20 mA
    - Ernie Ball MVP - 100 mA
    - JHS Pulp n Peel - 10 mA
    - Disaster Area DMC 4 - 64 mA

I have listed the milliamps, I just need to know what can be daisy chained and what I will need to run all these pedals off one supply.

Seems like a 4x4 might be perfect but I'm not sure.

18. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

I'd say 4x4 or cioks dc10. Either way your going to have to get a daisychain cable or 2 to run those, Voodoo labs sells their daisy connectors through their site, and it is only a 2 channel, cioks sells these as well but they also have a 3 channel daisy cable, http://www.guitareffectspedals.com/ sells these cables as well as the cioks power supplies and voodoo labs supplies, but not VL cables. If you daisy chain, Id say the 2 TS, and the Maxon.

You'll need a voltage doubler cable for the tim, VL's will require 2 channels from the 4x4 in order to work, so thats not ideal, cioks has one that will work off of 1 channel, but is limited to 50mA output, so as long as the Tim doesn't require more current than 50mA this will work. Otherwise Disaster area makes a volage doubler in the form of 2" x 2" pedal, that might be an option as well.

That's all I can come up with. You might be able to go down to a Cioks Schizophrenic with 2 daisy chain cables but without knowing the exact mA draw of your pedals this is a little difficult to give a for sure answer on. That and Im not sure what an LMMD is :D The custom comp, and the wah might be able to daisychain as well.

The Bondi, JHS is all I'd recommend daisychaining, probably get away with the MVP being chained in there as well, I've heard that the polytune will share but don't know for sure. Disaster area doesnt recommend daisychaining the DMC unfortunately, have heard noise complaints when the pitchfork was daisychained, and most loopers prefer to be isolated, and strymon just consumes too much mA to chain, not to mention that I've heard lots of noise complaints on the strymons when they were sharing power.

So if your set on voodoo labs, your pretty much gonna have to get the 4x4 and a daisy chain or two otherwise, a cioks TC10 with one of there daisy chain flex cables might work as well.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  19. aj_efff

aj_efff Member

Awesome, thanks for the help. I was hoping one of the people from voodoo would get back. But I sent them an email before the end of last year and still haven't heard anything. I was thinking the 4x4 would do the trick. But I just wanted to make sure. There's a pretty big price gap between that and the mondo too.

Also, would you mind letting me know which outputs I should go into with each pedal. I had the ISO 5 before this and it obviously wasn't enough to get the job done.

I'd have 10 pedals, I need to chain at least 4 of them to have them all going into the 4x4 inputs.

20. niassist

niassist Garage Rock Star Supporting Member

If you are running high gain dirt pedals go with the Cioks DC10. Yes, I know that every output is not isolated, but the Cioks is way better shielded than the Voodoo. It will be much quieter.