Voodoo Labs Iso5 induces hum in Wah.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mars Hall, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Mars Hall

Mars Hall Member

Is this normal? All 3 wahs I own, pick up hum when near the power supply. Only while the pedal is on. Is there a way to shield the Wah?

2. wyatt

wyatt Member

That is common. Wahs should be mounted as far from the power supply as possible and should not be daisy chained with other effects. A lot of people try and lay their pedalboard out with the power supply on one side and the wah on the other. I have a few vintage wahs without any extra shielding and they work just find on the opposite side of the board from my old, original Pedal Power.

Some people have had success shielding the inductor...indeed many companies (Fulltone, Teese) now shield the inductor at the factory. Aftermarket shields used to be very common on eBay, even Dunlop offered one, but I can't remember the last time I've spotted one.

3. Roe

Roe Member

yes this is perfectly normal. just move the wah away from the transformer, from any transformer

4. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Toroidal transformers (like those used in the Voodoo Lab power supplies, Cioks pro series etc) emit a much smaller electromagnetic field than regular transformers. But it can still be strong enough to get into a wah, since that circuit is especially sensitive. Distance is your friend - in most cases mounting the power supply as far from the wah as possible is enough. This why power supplies often end up top left, with the wah bottom right.

5. Vulteroz

Vulteroz Member

Many wah pedals have draw current well bellow 1 mA so you can go with 9V zink carbon battery for months, I power my Fulltone Clyde with battery and all other pedals are on power adapter

6. stilwel

stilwel Member

The hum is not due to being connected to the power supply, it's totally about how close it is physically to the supply and it's transformer.

Inductors are essentially antennas for picking up the EMF from a transformer, even the relatively smaller field produced by a torroid.