Voodoo Labs PP2+ and OneSpot?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ogradyboy, Apr 27, 2016.

1. ogradyboy

ogradyboy Member

I have too many pedals on the pedalboard (>8) that's needs a power source (PP2+ limits to 8).

Does anyone know if a pedal cable for OneSpot (piggybacks 5 with one barrel connector) can be used to power multiple pedals using a single PP2+ input?

I am not talking about using the accessory outlet with the PP2+, BTW. Thanks.

2. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

I'm in a similar situation... don't see why that wouldn't work. PPS power tap can be used for stuff like that. Just not for big stuff like amps from my understanding;)

Are you using a TU2 tuner by chance? There's an additional power tap on those as well:red

3. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

yes it can. There is a limited amount of current on each tap so you just need to figure out how much your pedals draw.

4. maydaynyc

maydaynyc Supporting Member

Not sure I understood exactly because you may be confusing input with output, but I think you are asking if you can daisy chain multiple pedals on one PP2+ output. You may be able to do that depending on the power needs of each pedal in the daisy chain but it increases the risk of not enough power and for noise. I highly doubt you could get enough juice from one of the 9V PP2 outputs to take full advantage of the one spot but maybe 2 or 3 low power pedals. However the pp2 has an ac outlet on it so why not plug the onespot into that?. I do it when needed and it works well. You just need to be aware that certain pedals don't work as well with the onespot, particularly digital pedals, in my experience. So put your analog ovedrives, tremolos and such on the one spot and any digital pedals like delays or reverbs on the pp2.

5. ogradyboy

ogradyboy Member

Thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify, yup daisy chaining. Don't want to use accessory port as it is being used by the other guitarist. I let him piggyback.

6. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

Just remember that the pedals on the daisy chain are not electrically isolated, and will typically need to be of the same polarity (don't mix & match center neg & center pos pedals on the same chain). Also, the #5 & 6 taps from the PP2+ have higher current than the others (250 mA ea. rather than 100mA ea.), so if you have the option to use the 5 or 6 tap (DIP set to normal) for the daisy chain, you can accommodate more pedals on the chain (more amperage headroom) than if you plug the chain into any of the others.

7. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

It works very well.

As others have said, you can't mix pedals that are negative and positive polarity, and you have to make sure you don't exceed the max ma. for each outlet.

I routinely run as many as five pedals off of one PP2 outlet with no issues.

Some pedals (especially those with a high current draw) should have their own outlet, and some pedals (like those that are positive polarity) must have their own outlet, but there's generally no reason why you can't chain an overdrive/xompressor/trem/wah together.

As for the BOSS TU2, remember that the extra outlet is just a "pass through". You'll still need to not exceed the maximum current draw on the PP2 outlet. The TU2 is not a power supply.

MattLeFevers likes this.
  8. ogradyboy

ogradyboy Member

Great input. Love TGP!

9. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

I'm actually fixing to do this exact thing tonight. Currently I have twelve or so pedals on my PP2+ through extensive use of splitter cables but I've decided that instead of splitting a bunch of different outputs to two pedals each, I want to take all of my low-power-draw pedals (my compressor, flanger, tremolo, and drives are all under 10 mA apiece) and daisy-chain them onto a single output.

Ultimately, unless you're running something weird (different polarity or voltage, as mentioned above) you just have to know the power draw of your pedals. My system has gotten complex enough that I actually keep a chart with each pedal's mA draw versus what the PP2+ output provides. You could daisy chain five or six overdrives or analog modulation pedals onto one output, whereas a something like a digital delay or a looper needs the whole thing to itself (or in the case of my DD-20, two outputs summed together) to function.

One Pedal Power 2+ will power a whole lot of stuff if you get back there with splitters and daisy chains and are careful about the mA draw. There's a picture of my board in my signature and everything on it is powered by one PP2+. ;)

10. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

11. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

I was going to suggest just to buy a second Voodoo Lab PP2+

12. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

That's funny, I found I could not run multiple pedals of off one PP2 output, but that the one-spot did allow me to do this. I currently have about 12 pedals on one One-spot. The key is to calculate the number of milliamps of DC power each pedal needs (and remember that pedals are always powered on even if they are 'off' because true bypass does not disengage the 9v dc).

Here is what you get with the PP2 (from manual) per output:

DIP Switch: NORMAL
    Output DC Voltage Max current:
    1-4 (ACA) 9V 100mA
    5-6 (L6) 9V 250mA
    7-8 (SAG) 9V 100mA

DIP Switch: ON Output
    DC Voltage Max current:
    1-4 (ACA) 12.3V 60mA
    5-6 (L6) 14.5V / 12V (unregulated) 50mA / 200mA+
    7-8 (SAG) Adjustable 4V - 9V 100mA

Okay? So which one are you going to use to run multiple pedals? either 5 or 6 might run three or four pedals, 1-4, probably not.

Now, the typical One-Spot has 1600 mA of DC output - which can be shared my multiple pedals. This is why you can daisy-chain a One-spot.

13. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

I agree completely that everything comes down to keeping track of the mA draw of each pedal and not going over. It has a great deal to do with what type of pedal, though. A single digital delay is going to be pushing it for most PP2+ outputs but the MXR Micro Amp draws 2 mA. If I was some kind of weird lunatic I could theoretically run fifty of those on one terrifying daisy chain.

I just grouped all my low-draw analog pedals onto one output - Small Stone phaser, Dyna Comp, Micro Amp, a Tube Screamer and a tremolo - and it sums to like 60mA. If anything, I ran out of daisy chain plugs before I hit the current draw ceiling.

14. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

Good reply Matt that is the the ticket. The advantage is the PP2 is to isolate the ground of each pedal and it sends more consistent voltage to each one, but that really designed to power individual pedals on each output. The OneSpot is the quick & dirty version used to power all pedals. As to whether you actually get your money's worth from a PP2 - well, I think it depends on what you need from a power supply (18v, sag, etc). BTW, the 18v adaptors I bought for my PP2 never worked correctly but I am not sure why (it was a long time ago).

I have been using one-spots for years now, because they are simpler and cheaper. But you might find you get better individual pedal performance from a PP2. It's all a matter of what you have in your pedal collection.

MattLeFevers likes this.
  15. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

I will say that although I have this complex PP2+ system rigged on my main board (with splitters and daisy chains and all kinds of nonsense), for my acoustic board and my bass pedalboard I just bought One Spots. Very straightforward way to power a small to medium sized rig.

16. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

just to clarify for those playing along at home, a PP2 is not the same as a PP2+, the newer "+" version has those two high-power 250mA outs on 5 and 6.

as an alternative, there's the new one spot pro series, which uses the digital switching supply tech of the one spot in a big, multi-isolated output box (as opposed to the old-school analog transformer power from the voodoo lab).

the one spot pros thus are capable of way more power, like multiple 250mA and multiple 500mA isolated outs in one box.

there are arguments to be made about transformer power being cleaner or whatever, but the computer i'm typing this on uses a switching power supply, as do the power amps of the PA i'll be playing through this weekend.

tribedescribe likes this.