Voodoo Labs PP2 plus and Fuzz face?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by aboutdrill, Jun 4, 2008.

1. aboutdrill

aboutdrill Member

Anyone use a PP2 plus with SAG to power their Fuzz Face? I really like the way my fuzz sounds on almost dead batteries but its no fun waiting around for them to run down and then they don't last long. It would be nice to have a more permanent solution. I also think old school carbon zinc batteries are going to become harder to get then good sounding germanium trannies!

Does the sag on the PP2 really simulate (or come close to) the sound of a low Carbon zinc battery in a FF?

Thanks, Derrick

2. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Hey Derrick. This may sound weird, but I have one and never used the sag because the consensus here is that it doesn't work well. ( Plus I have it screwed to my pedalboared and don't have easy access to the dip switch!)

3. drod2045

drod2045 Member

I use a 200lbs with the sag feature (i also power the wah with the sag). To me, it just sounds better this way. It sounded a bit meaner. Its not a night and day difference, but I do keep it this way. YMMV

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the sag works just fine. flip the dip switch, power up the pedal in question, and play while turning the little knob to find where it sounds best.

5. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

It'll work but I personally really dislike running my Fuzz Face on an adapter at all...it just ruins the tone for me...I should have never even bothered having a DC jack put on it!

6. tzamosti

tzamosti Silver Supporting Member

+1...the sag doesn't get the real tone with a fuzz face, old school batteries for me. I do use the Voodoo for my BJFE Folk Fuzz and I like the sag tone, but it kills the dynamics and the tone of my Scaryface.

7. aboutdrill

aboutdrill Member

Thanks for the replies. That's what I was expecting. I guess I'll just stick with carbon zinc Batteries.

I did try a AA 1.5 volt battery for kicks and it sounded pretty good - better then a new 9 volt! Anyone else try that?