Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive MOD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by astainback, Feb 21, 2012.

1. astainback

astainback Member

Is anyone using one of these?

I am thinking about getting one to try the clean/OD mix. I was thinking of trying a split rig, but this might be a better option.

2. KevinFinn

KevinFinn Member

The original is a godsend and hasn't left my board in 10 years. The clean-blend knob is where it's at.

This one looks to be even better.

3. astainback

astainback Member

Does the clean blend really sound like OD and clean mixed, or is it just a different OD sound. My idea was to have them really distinct. The description of the pedal sounds like it can do it dead on.

4. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Member

I think for the original the clean blend really does blend the 2 signals together, with noon being about even on the balance.

I really liked it for giving me kind of a clean tone with some grit by maxing out gain and tone and the clean knob around 2 o'clock.

5. KevinFinn

KevinFinn Member

They remain discreet.

Sounds more like two amps recorded in different rooms than it does a "blend" in the strict sense. So you'd for sure dig it. Sounds like a double tracked guitar on an album.

:aok

6. astainback

astainback Member

Nice. I bet it sounds good with chorus too.. the light, non-swirly kind.

Is it worth going for the MOD over the original? I can't find much about it on here.

7. MG90

MG90 Member

8. KevinFinn

KevinFinn Member

^But it's smaller than a Strymon box... likely in the ballpark, if not the same size, as the original... which is a very standard size. Not big.

9. ferrell

ferrell Member

ive used the original for years.got the mod last week just on a impulse buy.THE BEST DRIVE PEDAL IVE EVER PLAYED THROUGH !!! and ive owned lots (kot,klon,elements,just about all the wamplers-the list goes on and on.) set on the second position (which is actually labeled 1) with the gain wide open and clean blend around 11:00, its tonal bliss.my search is over.sounds really great in the fourth (3) position also.so much so, im considering getting another one.you will not be disappointed in this pedal and no im not associated with voodoo labs

10. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Been using an early one since they first came out - it's been a permanent fixture on my board since since I got it. I like it so much and use it so much that even though the switch in intermittent (a problem with Voodoo Lab pedals of that era) I haven't bothered to get it fixed as I don't want to be without the pedal.

11. mowatsmith

mowatsmith Member

12. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

Nice! he such a greatplayer .
    I wish the Tone knob sweep was demonstrated a bit though

13. JoeE

JoeE Member

This has really sparked my interest - I love 808 style pedals and ive always wanted to try the sparkle drive cos of the clean blend. Never got one cos my rig is kinda fussy and i couldnt try one easily, but with the extra mods surely I can find tones in there that will suit.......
    I'll do it, as soon as I sell some other pedals to make room