Voodoo,Lollar Imperials, Fralin Unbuckers,which?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by EXP, Sep 7, 2005.

1. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

i heard a clip of a Voodoo neck HB, and thats what im looking for in a neck HB. ive heard the Voodoo's are bright. im also considering Lollar Imperials, Fralin Unbuckers,Darkbursts(except i dont like dark, i want woody and clarity). whats a good neck humbucker?

actually its the original double white PAF neck, is the sound im looking for. whats the closest to this?

Voodoo/Original double white PAF clips

2. alderbody

alderbody Member

I would get the Darkbursts, or the Crossroads (as i already have) for the classic PAF tone.

3. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

are the Darkbursts dark sounding(i.e. the neck pup)?

4. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Darkbursts are not dark sounding, the name only refers to the color of the Les Paul they were modeled after.

Larry

5. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

+1 on the Imperials. I put them in a Hamer Monaco Elite and really like them!

6. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

hey joe, could you tell me a little about the Imperials? thanks

7. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

This ain't facey, but here goes...........

OK, here's my impressions of the Lollar Imperials after 7 days of playing.
    I have them in a Hamer Monaco Elite (LP Style), and I have a Carr Mercury and play Classic Rock and Blues Rock. I must add that I am not the biggest HB fan, I like P90's and even Strat single coils. I have a Clark Gainster, a Xotic RC Booster, and a BB Preamp. Took out Duncan Custom in neck and Custom/Custom in the bridge.

OD-Bridge-- very alive not spikey, but more air and upper harmonics. More bloom than the Duncans. Overall balance is better, less hard and sterile, not as dark overall. Bass is defined and focused, no mud...... ..

Bridge/Neck OD-- way cooler, no mud on lower chords and notes, just clear tone!

Clean bridge and and neck combo-- snappy, 3D, allot of bloom. This is where less output is helping me! Guitar tone, not PUP, not amp, string and wood, very much like I get from a P90. Again, great overall tone balance. The Duncans were sterile and hard sounding in comparison.

The balance on the two PUP's is right on. The duncans were way more neck balanced. In a combo setting the neck was muddy and boomy unless turned down to half of the bridge volume level.

I havent found a downside yet, R&R tones are superb,I even checked out some of Jazz sounds that I do and again found a very adaptable tone!
    I don't doubt that WCR Crossroads are good, but I definitely made a great decision to go with the Lollars, and would recommend them for almost any type of music.

8. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

has anybody compared the Lollar Imperials w/ the Darkbursts?

9. alderbody

alderbody Member

exactly.

plus, the Darkbursts are slighly overwound Crossroads.

10. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

its winding down to just the Voodoo 59's and Lollars.