VooDoo Pickups from Peter Florance

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Groovey Records, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Not sure if this is the right forum for this thread if not please move.

I havn't seen VooDoo pickups mentioned here very much and I wanted to hear other peoples experiences and comments. So what do you think= Let it all hang out.

I've had great results with my 59 VooDoo Humbuckers that Peter Florance makes by hand. He started his design process for his line by deconstructing the best sounding of the original vintage picups and determining what makes one pickup better sounding then another. He has several vintages, magnet strengths and resistance values available. He also did my installation and set up, a real pro job.

I liked the 59'HB VooDoo's so much that I am having Peter setup my MIM Strat with a matched set of his single coils. I'm reaching for an early Hendrix tone and vibe.

So have you ever been experienced?

http://voodoopickups.com/

Best
    Joe Tee

2. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

i've heard them and played them in a historic les paul (the voodoo 59s)

they sounded superb!

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Has anyone tried his Tele pups?

4. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

I bought a set of his Strat pickups years ago and they're scary good. :worried

5. alberob

alberob Member

I have them is my Les Paul and they are the only pickups in any of my guitars that will never be swapped out .They are my favorites!:RoCkIn

6. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

I almost bought a Baker B1 that had the Voodoo 59 set in them...I was amazed at the sweet PAF bloom they exhibited and often regret not buying what I thought was an over-priced instrument. I'm more of a rock/metal guy and they didn't have enough crunch for me, but for cleans & medium grind it was beyond beautiful.

I've also checked out several LP replicas at Ludlow Music in SoHo, and while tonally they were excellent pieces I found the nitro finish Peter put on them far too gooey & sticky for my tastes...

:BluesBros

7. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Gary
    I've also checked out several LP replicas at Ludlow Music in SoHo, and while tonally they were excellent pieces I found the nitro finish Peter put on them far too gooey & sticky for my tastes...

Do you mean he had hls own line of guitars??

Joe Tee

8. Curly

Curly Member

yes

9. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

Ludlow's had some of those guitars for almost 2 years that I know of - their prices are a little too high IMO :eek:

10. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Isn't Ludlow a little high on most things? I think Robert Quinne was a regular customer there getting some mods for his Teles.

I am not sure if Peter still creating his own Guitar Line. There is a picture of one on his web site with P90's in the Pick-up descriptions. Thats the only reference on his website.

Interesting does anyother stores have his Guitars?

Anyone else using his pickups?

The special unplated Tele pickups look worth hearing.

11. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

OH, yeah! mightyfine!!!!

12. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

I've got a 60GR bridge pu in one of my Tele's. It has quite a bit more beef than the average vintage-style pu. I really like it for rock-stuff.

13. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

I seen many thread writers discuss their dissatisfaction with original Tele neck pups on most of the newest models. I've also seen an endless amount of resales by players unsatisfed with their after market PUPS during their quest for the tone. Some go to humbuckers because their quest goes unrequieted

Is there a Holy Grail Tele Neck Pup and is it a VooDoo?.

I've seen most the big aftermarket brands and models being traded away.
    Though I've never seen any VooDoo pickups for sale on TGP.

The Vintage Tele Neck Pickup sounds of Micky Baker, James Burton, Muddy Waters and the countless other first class spaghetti benders.

Which neck pups are the contenders and which are the pretenders.?

14. jetlag

jetlag Member

I've batted about .500 with Florance and thus quit using him for pickup needs. Among the good, I got a set of dog ear P90s that were great, I have a tele 60's lead pickup that's really good (albeit a "pig" - real fat sounding), a good sounding tele front pickup that's supposed to be "strat" sounding. The tele front pup was on the second try. I ran out of luck with him on soap bars, they were screwing up the order(s) and ultimately I ended up with a real crappy set of soap bar P90s. Difficult to get to communicate with, but very nice on the phone when you could get him. I think he got really, really busy. I just decided there are enough other really good winders out there not to deal with him anymore. Others undoubtably have had much better experiences. Oh, and I've played a nice gibson historics V that a friend owns that had voodoos in them and liked them.

Regarding tele front pickups I've been thru a vintage circa '60 pickup, an older barden, the two voodoos, a hamel tall neck, a custom wound (hotter) dimarzio twang king and now a Don Mare stelly. The DM stelly so far is my favorite. If Don's didn't/doesn't work out, I was going to bite the bullet and go sans cover. So far, that hasn't been necessary. Alot of the above pickups had a lot going for them and were good in their own right, but the DM is just more of what I'm looking for (something that responds to pick attack and tone/vol knob setting like a strat front pickup but still maintains a certain amount of tele-ness).

15. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

I have them in my Brian Monty Bluesmaster. Great pickups for a great guitar.

16. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

I currently have an A3 Voodoo 59 in the neck of my R7 (double cream). I remember a few years ago before WCR took off, Voodoo was the big flavor boutique pup. I thought Peter stopped making them, or took a time out or something like that.

17. rog951

rog951 Member

The previous owner of my ES-345 had '59s installed. They are, without a doubt, the most responsive pickups I've ever heard/felt. I don't know whether it's all pickup, or the combination of p/u and the hollow body, but it's just a wonderful thing to play that guitar. Unfortunately, I hate the way the open coil p/u looks on that guitar, but I'm afraid to do anything that might disturb the "magic."

18. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

I'm psyched-Peter just gave me a phone call to talk about my MIM Strat. We decided to swap out for a better neck and go with the ST 60's pick ups. We talked about his custom guitars and he said when he gets done with mine thats how its going to be.

He said he still makes custom guitars for clients on the very hign end people that if I told you their names you would be surprised. People that are very respected players keep him very busy. He has had my axe a week now and he took the time to reach out to me and get everything straight. I've always had good communication with Peter. I'm glad Brian Gerhardt at TopHat reccomended him.

I'll fill you in when I get this wood and wire plugged in to my new Emplexador II.
    Regards
    Joe Tee

19. lv

lv Supporting Member

Love his humbuckers, hated the customer service...after he had my money, no pickups, no email reply. Had to file a claim with paypal which he then immediately refunded my $. Too bad as I've had 3 sets of his humbuckers.

20. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

I think Peter is a telephone kind a guy. I wonder what went wrong cause I'm on my 8th pick up with him and my second Guitar set up.

Nothing but good thang. So which way did you go since you didn't get what you wanted? That instant refund sounds like he finally heard you !