Vortex Flanger- now that it's been around a while what do people think of it?

Reckedtrek

I'm looking for a good flanger that I'd use in maybe 4 songs a night in my cover band. The Vortex looks interesting with analog dry through and a seemingly good range of sounds. I'd like to stay with a conventional boss/MXR size pedal if possible.

I can get one new (today only) for a little over $100 shipped, on sale. So how's it sound in person? Great, good, Meh, Sucks? I'm not expecting $400 analog flange tones here, but I don't want thin, dry, choking garbage either. Did you have one- Why'd you ditch it? Still got it- What keeps it around?

ScottySevins

Well I had bought it because it is really one of the only affordable tzf Flanders on the market. There is def a lt of good usable tones in that pedal and the ability to use the tone prints s great. However the tzf def left a lot on the table to be desired. When it sweeps thru the zero the sound cuts off very harsh almost like a tremolo chop. So it wasn't very smooth. Like I said tho def a lot of good usable tones in that pedal.

Reckedtrek

Through Zero would be a cool sound to have, but more for messing around than actual live/gig use, so it's not a huge deal to me that that particular sound isn't so great.

Most of the songs I'd use it on need a fairly wide, medium to slow sweep used with medium to hi gain tones. We don't play classic rock, but a flanger that can get in the barracuda (song) area is good. Any other tones beyond that are great to have and maybe I'll be able to work a couple of other tones in sparingly.

CE-2 Man

Great for a High Landrons inverted flange, good tzf too but i didnt like how tzf mode went silent when.the zero point was met (i know i know....) i like semi tzf tones without the complete phase cancellation...the Vortex didnt quite do it for me so i sold it and funded a uni vibe....kinda miss it now though.....vortex mini would be nice! Over to you TC!!

JackVanPage

I think it would be good for what you need with the way you are mentioning it. I am pretty sure they also have a barracuda tone print you can download for free as well so that would be perfect.

Reckedtrek

Barracuda was more of a reference point- we don't play the song, but barracuda and the typical MXR/VH type tones are in the right ball park. Not looking for the metallic DEM type sounds. Cool sounds, no doubt, but not what I'm really looking for.

I could get the MXR 117r, but it's another $70 and is twice the size. Not that $70 either way will change my life but the extra size and the fact that it's 18v hogging to taps on my power supply for an effect I only use a few times a night? :messedup

paulikus

I sold mine. I found that in some settings it sounded ok, but overall didn't cut. more recently i bought a Mr Black TunnelWorm TZF Flanger and I think it's a much better sounding overall flanger than the Vortex. I thought the Vortex robbed tone -especially in some settings. plus, I think the TZF setting is better in the TunnelWorm and it doesn't rob my tone.

eric10

Had one, flipped it. Didn't like the normal settings or the TZF setting. EHX deluxe mistress is much better sounding.

wiltel24

Had it, returned it and got the MXR micro flanger. Vortex didn't sound 'organic' to me, way too digital, and I couldn't get but maybe one decent sound from it. The TZF aspect annoyed me, and I felt the build of the unit was flimsy. Didn't try any tone prints. It sure was a pretty purple color however. My 2 cents.

Reckedtrek

Had it, returned it and got the MXR micro flanger. Vortex didn't sound 'organic' to me, way too digital, and I couldn't get but maybe one decent sound from it. The TZF aspect annoyed me, and I felt the build of the unit was flimsy. Didn't try any tone prints. It sure was a pretty purple color however. My 2 cents.
Ha ha! Perfect! I'll take 3.

Reckedtrek

Had one, flipped it. Didn't like the normal settings or the TZF setting. EHX deluxe mistress is much better sounding.
The DEM sounds great, as long as you like the sound of a DEM. I do, but it's not the sound I want right now. A DEM always sounds like DEM no matter how you set it- very distinctive. I want a warmer sound not a metallic icy flange tone that the DEM excels at.

GP830

Same here. The Vortex was too touchy and difficult to dial-in in my opinion. I would mess with it at home and find settings I really liked, then I'd it to practice, click it on and it sounded totally different than it did at home.

It had some okay sounds but I ended up messing with it more than I did playing.

Madsen

Sold mine. I didn't care for it's emulations of popular flanger sounds. there was something gritty & stair step in the sweep. it did make some interesting modulation noises when tweaked with the custom editor though.

also got rid of my mxr micro flanger. it had a big volume bump when used after dirt pedals.

wiltel24

The MXR is warm and organic sounding, but basic only 2 knobs. Joe Bonamassa uses one for what that is worth. Sure there are probably better ones on the market for more $$. But for under $100 (got it for $76), it works for me.

Reckedtrek

Maybe the MXR Micro is the way to go for me? I love the MXR 117 flanger sound, but the size and the fact it requires 18v is a PITA.

wiltel24

Maybe the MXR Micro is the way to go for me? I love the MXR 117 flanger sound, but the size and the fact it requires 18v is a PITA.

If you can't try one out at a store, just make you can return it. It's all pretty much trial and error when it comes to buying pedals. Usually, you know pretty quick it you like it or not. Also, try and buy one where you can get a good discount, usually 15% off is what I go for on non-boutique stuff. That way, if you ever flip it, you are out less $$. Good luck.

Trending Topics