VOS 1957 Custom?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Avenger, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Avenger

Avenger Member

I've started to explore the idea of getting a real Les Paul. I've had an Epi for years, but I think I need to start saving for a Gibson. In doing my research I've concluded that the Historics, especially the R7 and R8 are worth the extra money.

There is plenty of information on the R7 and R8, but I came accross the 1957 Custom on the Gibson site:

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/lespauls/573pu/1957Custom3PU.html

Does anyone have any ideas how a two pick-up VOS Custom would compare to an R7 or R8. I see that it has a mahogany top and ebony finger board. I'd imagine there are some differences due to this departure from the usual Les Paul recipe.

2. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

with a B7, you "should" get a nice thick woody tone without the maple top comparing to the R7 and up. Also depends on the pup set. Burstbuckers go in both, but not all guitars and pups are created equal. For the most part, most of the black beauties I build have a nice thick woody tone, I like them very much. There is also some R/B 7's out there as well.... a standard gold top that is solid mahogany, I forgot who the special order was for thou...

3. Avenger

Avenger Member

Thanks for the info, Murkat. I'll have to try one of these out. Your description sounds like this might the the LP for me.
    Also, although I'm not a huge relic fan, I do like the VOS finish for this particular guitar. A friend has an early 70s Custom. I've always loved the aged black finish.

4. bryan83

bryan83 Member

Its definitly a Dark and Woody tone, I love it. Burstbuckers sounds sweet and with the 3 pup custom there are so many different sounds you can get. I love the custom because its such a classy guitar I like looking at it just as much as i love playin her. The gold hardware doesnt take long to corrode and get that "worn" look to it. I guess the only difference I hear from the Customs and Standards is the maple top gives it a brighter sound. I'm not really too sure on the difference between the ebony and rosewood tho, someone can chime in on that one. All in all you wont be dissapointed with a Custom, yea it does't have a flashy burst top but they dont call it the Black Beauty for nothing, good luck on your decision.

[​IMG]

(sorry I suck at photography)

5. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

If I didn't own my R7, I'd probably have the R7 Custom. I've always loved the tops and they have great tone. It is very woody, as stated, but because of the PU's in a custom...it has plenty of bite.

6. GuitarG

GuitarG Member

Nice rig Bryan. Here's a picture of my Blonde and Black Beauty.
    Do you use the stock wiring for your 3-pickup? After trying a few different schemes, I now have it wired as a two pickup LP, but with a pull pot on the rhythm tone control to add the middle pickup to any pickup setting. Works well for me and I get the neck/bridge combo that isn't available with the stock wiring. My pickups are Timbuskers front and rear with a Seth in the middle.

[​IMG]

7. bryan83

bryan83 Member

Wow man a R7 BB and a blonde bassman, cant ask for much more than that, i defintily like ur rig bro. My wiring is stock along with the burstbuckers, havent really felt the need to mess with it (if aint broke dont fix it ya know) but that neck/bridge combination does sound pretty cool, I think i may give that a try.

8. GuitarG

GuitarG Member

RS Guitarworks has a wiring layout that works well. I got the pots, caps and schematic from them.

9. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Tonally... I find the all mahogany Customs to be more midrangey, whereas the maple-top R7 & R8's have more of a full-range sound with more lows and highs. I also find Custom's to have a slightly different "feel" with their ebony fingerboards and additional binding on the headstock and back of the body. Most also tend to weigh a bit more than your average R7 or R8 with the vast majority weighing in at 10 lbs. or more.

Here's a picture of my 2005 Murphy Aged "Black Beauty" Historic Custom. It's one of my favorite Les Pauls and is the lightest Historic Custom (8.8 lbs.) I've found.

[​IMG]

10. Avenger

Avenger Member

Thanks for the pics of the Customs. They are very very cool.:drool