VOS finish cracks from factory?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tritone, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Tritone

Tritone Member

I just got a Gibson from Reverb listed as "mint." I noticed some very large finish cracks when I got the guitar. The seller claims the cracks are part of the VOS finish and came that way from the factory. Is that accurate?

EDIT: I reached out to Gibson, and they responded that VOS should not have finish checking like that from the factory.

Pics:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    MatchFive likes this.
  2. FlamesAreWicked

FlamesAreWicked Supporting Member

You can get them factory aged which is checked but a standard VOS finish is just a hazy looking clear they spray on top to make it not so glossy...

3. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

What does it matter?

A crack is a crack.

I can tell you that crack is not factory.

4. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

How did u not notice those in the listing? :bong

5. FlamesAreWicked

FlamesAreWicked Supporting Member

That isn’t from the factory... factory checking is somewhat uniform and the whole body will have it..

6. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

Are those pictures representative of what the guitar in the ad was like?

7. Tritone

Tritone Member

If I go back and look at the pictures now, knowing exactly where to look, I can see some of the cracks a bit, but they weren't pointed out in the description and they weren't highlighted in any of the pictures.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  8. sinner

sinner Member

This.

9. Tritone

Tritone Member

They are not visible in the listing unless you look very closely at one picture. They aren't as visible from different angles.

Here's the only picture where you can barely see some of the cracks. They're not visible at all in the other pictures. [​IMG]

josephpnorman likes this.
  10. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

That crack is not from the factory. No. Maybe the seller bought it like that, but I garuntee you it did not leave the factory like that.

wilto likes this.
  11. YYZ

YYZ Supporting Member

But it could’ve gotten the crack as soon as it left the climate controlled facility (ie, anywhere in transit or at the guitar shop)? So, the seller might have thought it was from the factory. Either way, the problem seems to be with the word mint. It ain’t mint from the factory:beer

12. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

This is a Gibson we're talking about. The pic above you really can't see the cracks. The seller knew what he was doing.

13. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

I’m going to go with the camp that the seller intentionally did not show or mention the crack. It definitely does not appear to be factory, and would be something I might discuss with the seller in further detail. You can see the whitish ghost line in the pic they posted, but it is intentionally withheld from the buyer, which is no bueno in my book.

wilto likes this.
  14. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

yikes. don't look factory to me
    shame on the seller for not making them obvious to buyers

15. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Supporting Member

Not factory. Not cool of the seller. Not a big deal to me personally, but I could 100% understand if it's a big deal to others.

Magnets And Melodies likes this.
  16. fitz

fitz Member

I have an exact looking crack in my Gretsch 6120 which was self inflicted. I probably could hide that in the angle of the photo, but I would certainly disclose it if I sold it. As others mention VOS is a slightly dulled patina due to the goop Gibson sprays on the guitars to make them look aged. That crack never left the factory that way.

17. kristianlr

kristianlr Member

I can tell you, that is absolutely not factory checking from Gibson. I've owned a number of VOS finished Gibsons. As someone above mentioned, Gibson do produce factory checking as an option on some models, but there's no way that a single line or 2 (as on the picture supplied) was purposefully done.

Further, the sale photos supplied by the seller in my opinion seek to deliberately obscure the cracks, and I would take serious issue with that.

Hope you reach a happy resolution, that's extremely disappointing and frankly intentional by the seller.

AprioriMark and josephpnorman like this.
  18. cheezit

cheezit Member

BTW, cracks aside, is that an ES Les Paul, goldtop P90s with a Bigsby? Looks great!

AprioriMark likes this.
  19. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Supporting Member

Yup, that is not due to the VOS finish but nitro finishes can and do crack. Just goes with the territory.

20. Tritone

Tritone Member

Yes, it is! Thanks. I hope I can come to an agreement with the seller and keep it.