VOS - Oh my goodness

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RevolutionMan, Sep 22, 2005.

1. RevolutionMan

RevolutionMan Member

My disclaimer, I sell these, but I'm posting this as a player. I haven't even had a chance to list these for sale yet on my website.

Yesterday I received my first 2 Fargen VOS heads. Quite simply, I've never played a better rock amp. I spent the evening with a friend of mine who is a pro player with a very high profile gig, we put the amp through the paces with a strat and les paul. Time slips away when you play this amp, before we knew it, it was 2 AM, the amp is that much fun.

Ben was going for the brown sound with this one, and it's there. As a matter of fact, and this is a bold statement, I'll bet that if Eddie played this he would buy one on the spot.

I'm a marshall nut, and my main amp of choice usually is a silver jubilee. My jubilees are bound to get dusty now. The gain structure is amazing on this one, and it cleans up so nice with the guitar's vol knob. The sustain is sick, simply outstanding, notes really blossom with it. The medium to light gain tones on this are amazing also, the amp just sounds thick in the best way. The reverb surprised me also, completely useable, even with a lot of gain.

My hat is off to Ben Fargen, he hit a grand slam with this one. Personally my search is now over, I'm keeping one for sure, at least one.

2. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

I'll be picking mine up, with a parallel loop instead of reverb, tomorrow, Ben willing. It's gonna be hard to sleep tonight!:eek:

3. RevolutionMan

RevolutionMan Member

You're in for a treat, seriously get prepared to be blown away.

Here's the other thing I dig about it, sounds great at low volume, the master is the best I've ever used. Spent a good amount of time with it dimed too, and it's plenty loud, but it's not obscenely loud the way some 50 watters can be, and it didn't get compressed or soggy when pushed hard. I have no idea how he did it, but it's like he built the amp that I've always envisioned would be perfect, now it's reality.

My apologies if I sound a bit over the top about this one, but it really does it for me. I'm one of those guys who's played a LOT of different amps, and I'll admit there's still some high end boutique stuff that I haven't tried. I've found a lot of really really good amps out there, but this one is it, search is over. I really haven't heard a better rock amp.

4. Randy

Randy Member

Sounds intriguing! How much gain is available? Enough for modern metal tones?

Is a loop standard or special order?

5. RevolutionMan

RevolutionMan Member

The gain tops out at an old VH sound, no death metal tones.

The loop is a special order, but it's an amp that will make you forget about using effects.

6. Stevo57

Randy, you should go see Cliff C. Check his post in the Dealers Emporium. I think you would be very impressed with this one.

7. shredhead666

shredhead666 Member

Does it do that sort of high-end sizzle like EVH's old amps did? It's hard to explain, but I think it's due to ghosting? Supposedly Mojave's Peacemaker does a pretty good impersonation of this.

8. RevolutionMan

RevolutionMan Member

Not sure about high end sizzle, but I found the highs to be full and rich, and when you solo up to a note, then hang on it, the sustain just blooms into this beautiful sort of violin-ish sort of thing. Hard to describe, but it's difficult to stop playing this amp.

This one definatley takes me back to the first 2 VH records more than anything I've tried. I wouldn't put any of my top marshalls up against this thing.

9. straticus

straticus Member

I agree with your feelings about the VOS 100%!

I played one at the Marin Guitar Show a few months ago and was very impressed. It's the only amp I've played that's capable of that much gain and sustain while retaining a very dynamic feel and not becoming overly compressed.

I've been a very happy Bordeaux owner for the past year or so. The amp sounds fantastic no matter what the venue or how it's mic'ed. I'll be dropping it off at Ben's next week to get the VOS up-grades done to it .......... Wooooohoooo!

The best way I can describe Ben's amps is they've got the mojo!:dude

10. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

You are the Fargen-o-phile of Fargen-o-philes.

Just listened to your CD again for the first time in a long time. It ROX! :)

11. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

12. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I briefly played through the early VOS that Ben had at the L.A. amp show last Spring, and then I listened to Ben as he did a demo with the VOS.

Yowza! It was smooth thick and velvety---sounded great at low volume too.
    Gorgeous cabinet too.:dude

13. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

If you decide to let your Jubilee's go, let me know! M.E.

rocketdad11@sbcglobal.net

14. KLB

KLB Member

Sounds tempting, but I'm holding out to try the Jim Weider model, which will have a VOS-like lead channel plus a clean channel.

15. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

My 6L6 version is being created as we speak. I also was blown away with the tones from the VOS at the Marin show. I'm getting a channel switcher with a clean side for which I prefer 6L6s, so the lead side is the SCO version that drove Cliff over the edge.............. :D I'm being patient, but I think about it every day. :cool: :)

jon

16. Stevo57

Email from Ben last night:

Subject: VOS is done and is soooooooo sweet!

Your amp is simply amazing.....I love the fx loop as well......your head cab has crazy birdseye on it like I have never seen!....my brother has really outdone himself this time!

See you tommorrow!
    BF

The mating call of the hopeless gearslut!
    :D

17. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Priceless!! :D

jon

18. KLB

KLB Member

What does "SCO" stand for?

19. straticus

straticus Member

Thanks for the kind words Pete!

Sorry to say that band doesn't exist anymore. The bass player wanted to start singing. He said he had a million dollar voice. Heck, the rest of the band would have gladly paid him a million dollars to shut up but he felt he knew best so .........................

A few members of that band and myself have formed something new and I'm having tons o' fun so it's all good!

Yep, I love my Fargen! Always does what I want it to and never complains.:)

20. straticus

straticus Member

It's just a demo CD of my band at that time. I recorded it in my living room and mixed it myself so it's nothing special.