vos R8 les paul

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TREV FLINT, Jan 16, 2008.

1. TREV FLINT

TREV FLINT Supporting Member

I noticed that my local guitar store has a VOS R8 les paul - plain top-Tobacco fade- in stock. I had to give it a rip and I really like it! I noticed that there were some strange scratches around the tone and volume control knobs. The salesperson said it came from the factory like that...as if it were a relic, I don't agree with him. Do these scratches sound normal?? ( I don't mind scratches on my guitars but I usually like be the one to make them! especially a $3000 guitar!!)

2. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

The VOS dull finish shows scratches really easily....if you're okay with a shiny guitar, they can probably be polished out. But you'll need to do the whole guitar to match it...and you'll end up with a gloss finish instead of satin.

Cheers

Kris

3. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Yep, the Vos series are steel wooled or sanded and have plenty of scratches. That's supposed to make them look like vintage guitars.
    The gloss version is $300.00-400.00 more :crazy

4. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

No, those scratches didn't come from the factory (or they might of but it isn't part of the VOS thing).

VOS has aged parts and a satin finish, but it doesn't come scratched or reliced.

Heres a 59 for reference: http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Gibson-Custom-Shop-1959-Les-Paul-Std-VOS-Iced-Tea_W0QQitemZ320207649946QQihZ011QQcategoryZ38086QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Several closeup shots there around the volume knobs and on the top. No scratches to be seen. The dealer seems to be bsing you just to get a sale. And if he is charging you 3000 bucks for a VOS your getting ripped anyway. I'd suggest checking out one of the dealers on lespaulforum.com. New VOS's can be had for around 2600 dollars.

If all we are talking about are clearcoat scratches (probably not the proper term but you know what I mean), then I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think I've ever seen a new guitar without them. A little polish will fix that.

5. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I saw a VOS R9 today up close. Not for me. Reminds me of the Faded Standard just $3.5k more. I'll take the gloss lacquer which I know will age to a soft shine through my own playing.

6. bonchie123

The R9's look exactly like the faded standards from the pics I've seen. Not much shine at all.

The R8 plaintops look somewhere inbetween in the pics I've seen with a fair amount of shine but not quit gloss.

7. bonchie123

8. soldano16

soldano16 Member

And you let him get away with that BS? :rolleyes:

9. Kappy

Kappy Member

That's cool and all, but I like mine nice and dull....

[​IMG]

If the guitar talks to you in while you play it like this one did for me, you should buy it regardless of any nicks on it. That shouldn't stop you from haggling some though.

10. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Beautiful guitar dk. That will be my next Gibson.
    IMHO....I would never let scratches get in the way of a guitar that speaks to me. Tone, playability and mojo is the bottom line...and if you play it...it's gonna get those anyway.