Vote: Age when Guitar Skills Fall Hard

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by GasMask, Mar 28, 2013.

At what age can people no longer play guitar at a High Level?

1. 50

2. 55

3. 60

4. 65

5. 70

6. 75+

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. morlll

morlll Member

I'm not that far behind you. That said. I play mostly for me. Seldom for others. People say I play well when I play out. I don't really care that much though. Playing is the best therapy for me and has been since my teen years.

Playing keeps me saneish.

2. Psyfuzz

Psyfuzz Member

Haha. Yes my son.

3. Marcfordsfuzz513

Marcfordsfuzz513 Member

I do construction, its something i worry about everyday.

not only getting injurys, but how will they feel when i'm 50.

4. Mayflower

Mayflower Silver Supporting Member

Getting good of getting rid of the fluff age 54.
    Concentrating on what is most useful, like what riffs are instant panty droppers and stuff like that.
    You know, playing Brown Eyed Girl behind my head or Margaritaville with eyes closed smiling at the same time.
    Not easy stuff guys.

5. rob2001

rob2001 Member

And then back to hard rock and shred and high gain rigs at 50 to recapture the youth. And we all know high gain is easier to play and requires less skill so it all works out! :sarcasm

Otherwise, I'm 49 and the only reason I have diminishing skills is because I don't practice as much as I used to. But I can still do what I need to do.

6. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I turn 66 tomorrow. I'm playing as well as I ever did. My note choices are better and my harmonic vocabulary is better than ever.

7. GasMask

GasMask Member

Ha! My birthday too (yeah)

:beer

I'm a little younger than you, but I'll try not to call you a geezer! :D

8. KHAN

KHAN Member

Sorry man. It's 59.

I kid. ;)

9. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

i think it will be the point that my mind knows where my fingers should be but the fingers don't get there fast enough..that would be the onset of arthritis, which is a different age for everybody. i've noticed a decline in the last 2 years..sad.

10. SoulCharter

SoulCharter Senior Member

Fing A+! :rockin

11. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I can vouch - Brian is a really, REALLY great player! :aok

jon

12. bigeric

bigeric Supporting Member

Im 56 and easily twice the player I was at 23. Repertoire way better, Technique easily much better. Understanding of theory check. Learning everyday. Practice routine check. Equipment no contest. Gig experience oh yeah. Hair not so good.

13. bgh

bgh Supporting Member

Both of you were much more eloquent than me in trying to describe this. My knowledge of theory, harmonies, note selection, melodic runs is so much better that when I was younger.

But, arthritis has definitely hit hard over the last 10 years. I envy you guys that don't have it. It takes forever to get my fingers loose enough for me to be able to play. Plus, I find myself falling into bad practice habits. If I don't watch, I will end up working on things that don't tax my fingers. I have to keep an eye out for that and fight it.

On top of all that, the arthritis has eaten my shoulder up and torn the cuff. I have to in for surgery on it at the end of next month.

14. stompk

stompk Member

how old was Doc watson when he died? 90's and blind? and better than any of us. so I'll say "never", as long as you don't STOP playing.

15. GasMask

GasMask Member

Noticed earlier in the thread you mentioned you are 58, so the arthritis hit you at a young age. :mad: Hate to hear that. Scares me. I turned 51 today, and feel it a little now then, but certainly not bad, and not enough to affect my playing. Most days I don't feel it at all. My mom's 85 and has it bad, plus her hand looks horrible- crooked joints, etc.... She is definitely not playing the piano (or guitar) any more. Need to savor the days!

16. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

I'll be 50 later this year, and I'm playing at the highest level I ever have. I learn songs faster, play them better and have a much better understanding of what I'm doing and why.

I'm also fortunate enough to have stumbled into one of the best band situations I've ever been in, so I have a great forum to express my playing.

I've gone through some pretty long dry periods in my life in terms of having a good band situation, so I'm thoroughly enjoying this.

At the same time, I'm being exposed to a lot more great players first hand lately, so I've become acutely aware of how my skills fit into the grander scheme of things.

17. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

I'm 54 and my skills (broadly) are getting better and declining at the same time!

By this I mean my brain/guitar skills/motor skills while maybe deteriorating, are still constantly getting worked out, by learning new music (different groups repertoire I may have to learn, as well as new songs to include playing/singing I am teaching myself). NOW it seems like I have learned so much music over the years that some is always dormant (but still there) and I have to bring it back to the surface...As far as skills, I'm self-taught/ear-trained and I think I still am learning more on the guitar in terms of technique and 'hindsight theory' (where I learn how to play something new, isolated say just a riff in a song, and then learn real harmonic application/theory of it later ...)

The answer for me is to play, play, play, and gig as much as I can- it keeps me young as I age!

18. wilerty

wilerty Member

55 ... arthritis.

19. Phoebe

Phoebe Senior Member

Anyone ever hear of a guy named Segovia?