Vote! For The Better Compressor.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gpro34, Mar 22, 2006.

Vote! Which is the better compressor?

1. Demeter Compulator

2. Diamond compressor

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Here are the choices:

Demeter Compulator

Diamond compressor

2. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

yuck, haven't used either =(

Sorry G!

3. gpro34

gpro34 Member

I know there are some diamond fans here and I was just reading a positive review of the compulator. Do you not like the sounds of these? What compressor do you like right know?

4. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Depends what you want out of a comp. Of those two I've had the Diamond. It's a studio compressor on the floor, I found it to be similar to the Barber but more versatile, more sparkle. If you want a Ross style compressor look elsewhere.

5. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Not knocking them. Just meant yuck cause I couldn't post for ya.

I use a barber Tone Press at the moment, but I really want to try a pedal doctor Tangerine Squeeze. Thats definatly more my style :AOK

6. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Don't mean to hijack the thread, BUT, has anyone tried the:

BJFE Pale Green Compressor (or is it Pine Green Compressor now?
    or
    the Jangle Box

7. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I've owned the Demeter, Boss, Saffron Squeeze, Analogman Mini Bi-Comp, Analogman Juicer, Keeley, Punch Factory, and probably more that aren't coming to mind.

I just bought my second Demeter and have it on the way after A/B'ing the Analogman Mini Bi-Comp with my buddy's Demeter. It's very smooth, and unlike the Ross/Orange type of pedal/guitar comps out there - IMHO the same description that phishmarisol gives the Diamond applies 100% directly to the Demeter.

8. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Yeah, I was looking at those aswell. The tangerine and the mc squeeze. I wonder if anyone here could comment on those two and their differences?

9. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Are these two optical compressors not the cream of the crop? Everything I've read say's these are the best optical compressors. I already have two Keeley compressors one four-knob one two-knob, and several others but was curious about these. I had the diamond breifly but let my brother swindle me, I mean trade me for something else.

10. Matt C.

Matt C. Member

I own both. If you are looking for an opto-style compressor I don't think you could go wrong with either. The Demeter is capable of a lot more compression than the Diamond. The Diamond is more subtle and transparent. They are similar but I prefer the Diamond with my setup, a Tele into a MAZ 18 JR NR.

11. threm

threm Member

12. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

threm,
    Thanks for the link. Most interesting.
    I'm looking to replace a Keeley and have been interested in the BJF, The Diamond and the Jangle Box. All have their strengths. I suppose I should consider the Demeter comps, as well.
    Something about that Jangle Box just intrigues me, though.
    End of thread hijack, apologies to gpro 34!

13. drolling

drolling Member

Its character reminds me of my old script logo DynaComp - but its got a fixed treble boost that'll blow out your eardrums - truly fantastic in front of a midrangey OD going into a dark amp - goosed lead tones from 1964!

The Diamond's 'tilt EQ' allows you to dial in a treble boost as well - but not as dramatic. The Diamond doesn't 'squash' like the JB, either.

I use both on the same board.

14. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

The "squash" is what troubles me about the Keeley. If the Jangle Box has that "squash", then, perhaps, it is not for me.
    What intrigues me, though, is the "fixed treble boost that'll blow out your eardrums - truly fantastic in front of a midrangey OD going into a dark amp - goosed lead tones from 1964!"

Now that sounds like a sound I would love to capture on a regular basis.

Once again, my apologies to gpro 34!

15. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Neither, I like my Maxon!

16. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

No experience with the Dementer, but after getting the Diamond I was done searching... and I do like to search!!

17. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Me love my Diamond Compressor also. I've been through a lot of comps and this one is my favorite.. The EQ is like a presence knob, or treble boost when you turn it to the right, and it's a bass boost or thickiner when you turn it to the left..The compression is transparent, and it gives the sound of natural sustain, not squished sustain. I leave mine on all the time.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net
    http://www.phensic.com

18. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

I haven't tried the Diamond or Demeter comps.
    But I am using an old Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer, also a Keely Comp and a Analogman modded Dyna/Ross comp.
    Each has it's own unique sound and characteristics!

19. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I have a Diamond that I like a lot. Haven't tried Demeter though. I decided on the Diamond because I liked the idea of the EQ control (which is really useful). I tried and returned a JangleBox because it was too noisy.