• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

votes for best multi-circuit all in one OD pedal

sometime within the upcoming months, I'm considering possibly ditching most of my current overdrive, fuzz, and distortion pedals, and getting one overdrive pedal that has a bunch of different options, a variety of tweakable features, including an additional boost circuit. now that I have an amp that I'm fairly happy with, I think I might want just one unit that will do everything that I need drive-wise, rather than a whole bunch of different dirt pedals on my board.

so, I was thinking of something along the lines of maybe the Earthquaker Devices Palisades, or the amptweaker Tight Drive Pro... I will be utilizing it for tones that vary between semi-clean (light overdrive), to medium gain crunch, to full on high gain distorted lead tones, and also a boost option for solos ... it will be used with my 2-channel 100-watt Marshall (DSL)

are there any other multi-circuit OD's that anyone can recommend?

very interesting. I will definitely check this one out... thanks!

also, another one that I thought about was the new Ibanez TS808-DX. it seems pretty good, but it might be a little too basic for what I want.

Sociophile

"Ignore" Button Aficionado
I use the Amptweaker Big Rock Pro and absolutely love it. The built-in FX loops, boost, and noise gate make it incredibly useful, and it's got a very "amp-like" distortion to my ears. Lots of EQ flexibility, as well.

On the other hand, I couldn't bond with the Palisades. Very harsh at band volumes, and it doesn't do any particular sound better than another pedal, it just has a wide range of sounds. It struck me more as a studio tool than a gigging musician's go-to OD. Obviously, that's just my experience.

In short, though I haven't played exactly the one you're looking at, I vote Amptweaker.

Sociophile - yeah, I'm already a fan of Amptweaker myself. I have the Tight Metal, which I keep on hand whenever I either do not have access to my main amp for a gig, or in the studio to get some different tones for overdubs.

the reason why I would lean more towards the Tight Drive Pro vs. the Tight Rock Pro is because I don't really want to replace my amp's distortion. I want something that can be used with either channel of my amp, including the higher gain lead channel.

SirGilmour - that Multidrive by Empress looks very impressive. I'm sure its an amazing pedal, however, that's not really what I'm looking for. thanks for the suggestion, though.

axm.88

• Pigtronix Disnortion
  • Z.Vex Box of Rock (or metal)
  • Z.Vex Double Rock
  • Analogman King of Tone
  • Visual Sound VS-XO
  • Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
  • Visual Sound Double Trouble
  • Fulltone FullDrive
  • Paul Cochrane Tim
  • Carl Martin Plexitone

fastfinger666 - thanks so much for your suggestions. I will definitely check out some of these... a few of them look like they are full on, high gain distortion pedals, which normally I love, but its not really what I'm after right now. I'm looking for something with different varieties of overdrive with a boost option... however, some of these on your list are great recommendations that I will be doing some research on for sure.

cheapgtrs

Gold Supporting Member
Jetter gold standard, probably more of a distortion but amazing anyhow or a Tim.

feet

Gold Supporting Member
it doesn't have the separate boost function and it isn't very common, cheap or loved (apparently), but i think the jhs double barrel is worth considering. its a morning glory (bluesbreaker) and tube screamer in a box. you can set them as a light and medium overdrive and/or stack in the order you prefer. i personally like using the mg side into a clean channel (for wamrth to light od) and the 808 side into a crunchy channel (for solos or higher gain), which i think would work well with your dsl.

tinkercity - very cool... although I think that one may be out of my price range. however, the lesser priced Dual Precision/Pegasus looks interesting...

oh, and just one detail to add... if it makes any difference - I play guitars exclusively with passive, high output humbuckers only. so just in case there are certain pedals that tend to work better with a specific type of pickups (single coils vs. humbuckers)... as of right now, I'm really leaning towards the amptweaker Tight Drive Pro, Wampler Dual Fusion, or the JHS Double Barrel (and possibly the Tim). some of the others that were mentioned seem pretty cool. I just have to check out some more video demos.

any more recommendations for items already mentioned... or for ones that haven't been mentioned yet?

Last edited:

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
Looks like the OP asked for a bunch of OD choices. A lot of responses have veered into the distortion and even fuzz-ish category. (At least that's my interpretation).

I think the OP pretty much nailed it with the Palisades. Really, really versatile OD that can be made to work with any guitar/amp setup given the selectable voices (clipping choices) and selectable bandwidths). Add the choice of A vs B gain levels, plus a boost and you have something that should meet the needs stated.

thanks, RMosack. I'd love to hear more opinions on the E.Q.D. Palisaides, either pro or con.

neosoulchild - the JHS Kilt seems really cool, however, I'm not sure if the one side of the pedal is more of a medium gain distortion or not. I think it might be.

Trending Topics