1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vovox and Evidence cables

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Luke in the 80s, Sep 23, 2005.

1. could someone make a comparison? it seems they are the most sought-after cables on the market at the moment

and they are a noticeable improvement over DiMarzio or GeorgeL's cables?

2. lv

lv Supporting Member

I have a Vovox on the way and have played the Evidence cables as well, will let you know in a couple days.

3. jetlag

jetlag Member

I have an Evidence Lyric. It's a really nice sounding cable. My favorite over the other pedestrian type cables I own - monster jazz, monster rock, George L, Rapco, Planet Waves. It has the clarity of the George L but w/o the annoying high end and much better balenced. It voices single notes fatter and doesn't sound thin like the george L's. I haven't heard of the Vovox. BTW, I only use the Evidence from guitar to first (buffered) effect. Then for the rest of the signal, I use all the other stuff above that I mentioned. I didn't feel like, once you hit a buffer, that you gain much by using the hi end stuff after that buffer.

4. That's an interesting point...anyone other agree on this??

5. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

It depends which buffer, there are good and bad. I wouldn't want to use one of my evidences into a T-Rex pedal (great buffer) and then use a high impedance, cheap cable. It just wouldn't sound as good. A george l after the T-Rex might be decent though because they are pretty transient.

6. Seegs

Seegs Member

To my ears I noticed and felt a pretty big difference when I switched from GL's to Evidence patch cables...I use the lyric Hg's for all long runs and have a buffered Klon on my board...

Chow,
    Seegs

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

Still waiting on mine.....

8. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

Ive tried the Lyric HG and it is a great cable.

There is an interview with Tony this month on my site. He has also written a column for next months issue as well as others. Should be very cool.

Hes a great guy that makes a great product.

9. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I do, in general.

If you only have one very good cable, I would always try it at the guitar first. Any losses in that first run from the guitar cannot be recovered later. If you have a second high end cable, I'd use that for the next longest run, say from pedalboard to amp. The last priority would be between pedals, simply because the shorter length has less impact, either good or bad.

This doesn't mean that this will always be the best sounding arrangement though.....you may *like* the tone of the cheap cable up front. You just need to try it and listen.:cool:

10. any news? ;)

11. lv

lv Supporting Member

The dealer here gave me the runaraound, so I cancelled the order. I may pick one up if I can find another dealer.

12. rabbit

rabbit Member

Hope you don´t mind me asking, sir, but do you mean any T-rex pedal in particular? I did not know they are buffered.

BTW, sorry for hijacking this thread shortly.

13. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Haven't compared the two but the Evidence Lyric HG is by far the best I've tried. My whole rig is outfitted with them from head to toe.

There's a pic of David Gilmour using one recently on Tony's site.

14. tookermel

tookermel Member

I haven't compared the two, but I DO use the Vovox cables. I have a 15 footer that goes from guitar to pedalboard, I use them on the board (along with a pedalboard kit from Lava Cable), and another 15 footer from board to amp. I love 'em and they are extremely clean and clear, with a very transparent, neutral/balanced sound. Sounds great clean or with overdrive. As always, though - your mileage may vary...

-Tookermel

15. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I've had the EA Melody for guit -> board, board -> amp, and Vovox for guit -> board, board -> amp. All 4 cables were / are 15'. My thoughts follow:

Handling: The EA Melody is stiffer and kinks pretty easily (loops of cable sticking up in the air off the floor). The Vovox is almost unnaturally light, soft, and flexible.

Noise: The EA Melody was a bit microphonic; e.g. you could hear the handling noise of it hitting the floor or sometimes even sliding across the floor (esp. w/ gain, obviously). I cannot hear this microphonic effect with the Vovox, but that may be because it is lighter and therefore has less mass to impact things and cause noise.

"Tone": In quotes because it's all subjective and gear dependent. I agree with what tookermel has already outlined. The Vovox comes across as very clear & neutral. It has presence without any harsh treble. And it's very full sounding without coming across as tubby (like my Klotz) or unnaturally fat (Zaolla, which I do really like). Fast response without exaggerated punch or attack. There is a subtle smokiness in there with the sparkle. Comparitively, the EA seems to have slightly rounded-off highs and cloudy mids. By cloudy mids, I mean the middle frequencies of chords seemed to mush together even clean or with mild gain, whereas with the Vovox they retain better separation / clarity.

Just my $.02. Pick the right cable for the right application. And FWIW, yes, I like the tone and properties of the Vovox better than the Melody, as well as better than GL's and DiMarzio.

-Ben