Vovox vs. EA Lyric HG

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jamison162, Jul 8, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I'm gonna take the plunge and invest in 2 high-end cables and have narrowed it down to these two. The Vovox is only a few bucks more (small percentage) than the EA.

Does one excel over the other? I'm using strats and LP's, and want both stellar cleans and dirty tones. These will be used from guitar to pedalboard and pedalboard to amp, obviously. With the whole board wired with Bill Lawrence cable.

I've been using the Fulltone Golds and while they are good, I feel I can do one better. They can be a little stuffy in the mids.

The only other high-end cable I've tried was Zaolla and I hated it. Pure silver conductor, transient time was too fast and tightended up my sound way too much and didn't sound natural.

2. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

These are both really really great cables. I have tried both at great length and found that the EA had a little more in the mids when compared to the Vovox. The Vovox is not nearly as rigid (physically) as the EA so it much easier to use on pedal boards and stays out of your way when playing. I went with the Vovox because of the flexibility and the great tone but the truth is if I had the kind of money to get 2 sets of cables I would also get a set of EA Lyric HG. In any case both are superb for both clean and dirty sounds.

Last word; go to Lavaman's site. He was great to deal with

3. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I'm a Lyric HG user - guitar > pedal board, and my board is wired with Monorail cable. I recently tried a Vovox for a few days and I agree with the flexibility issue - Vovox wins. As far as tonal signatures, I found the Vovox to be slightly more detailed and clear - slightly but noticeable - in the mids and upper mids.

It would probably be harder to pick a favorite in a blind A/B test, and with this high level of qualty in both cables, it comes down to a matter of personal tonal tastes. Both cables wil deliver what you're looking for. I've also tried a Zaolloa, so I know what they sound like too, and I chose the Lyric HG over the Zaolla way back then.

4. beej

beej Supporting Member

Presumably you've still got a lot of spare BL cable? (Considering it arrives in a decent quantity.) Why not just use that? It is excellent cable.

5. Seegs

Seegs Member

I actually prefer the Lyrics to the Lyric hgs...better bass response and sweeter top end...in comparison to the Vovox cables I like the EAs quite a bit more and I was quite surprised at my findings given the rave reviews the Vovoxs get...I was perfectly willing to switch given the flexibility advantage over the EAs but the tonal footprint was not in the same league with my setup...

they were brighter and thinner sounding than the EAs when we tested them at recent Euro Tone fest gathering...

Chow,
    Seegs

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  6. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

One thing worth mentioning is that Vovox need a break in period. When I first got mine they were quite brite (I had to re EQ my amp from George L) it took about 20 to 25 hours for them to break in. Depending on how old the Vovox cable Seegs tried out this may explain what he experienced.

I'd be interested to hear what difference there is in EA new vs broken in.

7. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

That's interesting - because I got my 2 Vovox 15' cables used and they sound absolutely phenomenal. The farthest thing from 'bright' or 'thin'. Rich, present, natural, clear, full. No 'over'emphasis on brightness like you might find with GL's or even Zaolla. I've always wondered why some people said that they were bright... that did always confuse me because they're simply not. No brighter than an EA Melody. BUT, they're so much more detailed and clear.

8. jamison162

BL works great on pedalboards, but not as your main cables. At least I'm not gonna use it that way.

And Ben....bright, warm....it's all very subjective. People talk about how dark/warm Canare is and I hear it totally opposite; bright and harsh like GL's.

9. jamison162

Seegs, I know you're always talking about the original Lyrics...but, do they make it anymore, is it even available?

10. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Our elaborate "cable A/B/C switching system" at the Euro Tone Fest: me at the amp end switching cables, John Stax on the guitar end and Seegs playing thru his Fragen Dual Classic. ;)

We had the Lyric, Lyric HG, Cornish and Vovox and for that setup my findings echo the last time we did this test with all but the Vovox:
    Lyric: nicest all round, a hair fuller sweeter than the HG (HG might be good if your rig is bass heavy)
    Lyric HG - tend to like this if my Les Paul sounds boomy...
    Cornish (some emphasis in the mids that makes it harsh)
    Vovox (more highs / presence than I consider natural or balanced, so I can see why this might be interpreted as "detail". However, for me it was annoying).

All of the contenders are WAY ahead of George L's which I consider a very annyong sounding cable (harsh, bass cut, unpleasant highs) and I think you'd be fine with all of them.

Ben C. Regarding the Melody: I have one and don't care for it. Much prefer the Lyric (HG). I'm surprised you thought the Vovox was no brighter than the Melody. Since I know the Melody to lack the detailed high end of the Lyric I'm inferring (although it wasn't used in this comparison) that the Vovox would be brighther than the Melody).

Chris

11. Seegs

Seegs Member

I'm not sure if it is still being mfg'd Jamison...I was able to order it over here in bulk about a year ago and I made my own patch and instrument cables from it...I also have 3 Lyric hgs which I sometimes use from Pedalboard to amp to tune my rig if I need to thin the bass a bit...otherwise its all Lyric...

Chow,
    Seegs

12. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

13. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I'm with you on the Melody! I played through a pair of those for several months, and they rolled off the highs a touch and smeared the mids IMO. They're better than a lot of cables out there, but I too didn't care for them... I think I wanted more definition and clarity than they provided.

HOWEVER - I make a distinction between clarity / presence and high-end definition, and 'brightness'. The Vovox are not necessarilly brighter IMO, but they have so much more detail, clarity, definition, open-ness, airiness and presence, esp. in the high end; but it's not that 'aritifical' brightness I hear in some cables that some people confuse for high-end definition just because the treble freq. is emphasized. It's like the Vovox can give you all the detail in the world, without being harsh or bumping EQ bands.

-Ben

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  14. jamison162

Tough call, I'm leaning toward the Lyric HG though. Maybe Mark will lend me a Vovox so that I can A/B for myself.

15. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member

I guess we all hear things differently--I moved from the Lyric HG to the Vovox, and prefer the latter. I found the Lyric to be more "hi-fi" sounding, and didn't care for the stiffness. I feel the Vovox is more "natural" sounding, and I love the lightness and flexibility.

16. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

Lend? Whaaaaaaat...? Me lend....co'mon now....:NUTS

Just kidding....

For what it is worth both these cables are excellent and a cut above 90% of what's out there IMO. They do sound different though as they have different size conductors, and a different design. Due to this, one may be preferred over the other based on listening preferences. Art at Guitar Player really liked the Vovox (Liked the EA Melody as well which is also a great cable) both of these made his winner's circle (Lyric HG was not tested) in the recent 49-cable round up.

17. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Can you explain what you mean by hi-fi? I've always assumed it to mean adding extra high end presence / sheen. If so, then that would be exactly what I heard the Vovox do compared to the HG. I guess you mean something else, right?

As you say, we all hear things differently, so no worries, just want to understand what you mean.

Chris

18. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Interesting read. I recently picked up an Aracom PRX150-Pro attenuator and needed another high quality speaker cable. I'm currently using a Lyric Siren II for my speaker cable and a couple Lyric HGs to/from my pedalboard for instrument level. Well, one thing led to another and, before you know it, I ended up buying TWO Vovox Drive speaker cables and TWO Vovox Sonorus from Lava...today. Players whose opinons I trust and tone I love really seem to like the original Vovox Link A and so many folks (including Vovox) seem to think the new Sonorus is even better, I decided to go for them.

I think a lot can be said for breaking in cables. I never would have believed it unless I actually tried it, but after running a loop overnight through my HGs when first purchased, they sounded louder, more open and smoother.

19. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I really liked the Lyric HG.........
    Talk smooth (Boy, oh boy!)

20. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I've had my Vovox Sonorus cables for about a week now.
    I noticed the opposite, in a way, of your experience.
    They were bright and clear but not really brighter than what I was used to from my existing cables so the brightness did not stand out to me.

The low end stood out to me at first but after a week, almost like a speaker break in, they changed.
    The best way to describe it is as if the frequencies "settled" amongst themselves to an optimum point of perfect balance/ blend between them.

In the first guitar I tried them with, one of my Teles, I thought I would have to adjust that guitars pickups, not really in my other guitars.
    I thought maybe one or two of the others could benefit from a very small tweak to the pickups but continued to play them as is for a week.

Since last night, but especially today, the sound of the Vovox is all of a sudden much better and the Tele I was sure I had to adjust
    is just right.

This is after around 20-30 hours of play.
    I wasn't listening for a change, I just heard it while playing most of today.