Vox 60th Anniversary AC30HW60 Impressions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RetVet2018, Apr 10, 2018.

1. RetVet2018

RetVet2018 Member

Hello,

I was just wondering about honest impressions of Vox's 60th Anniversary AC30 amp from anyone who owns one of these amps or has played on in the past. Thanks for your time!

2. DiPa

DiPa Silver Supporting Member

It kills, I own a bunch of vox amps, korg era etc, this 60th gets you as close to the vintage ones as possibly can...

QRSS, bdm and eigentone like this.
  3. guitar007

guitar007 Member

Very happy with mine. I can’t get a bad sound out of it.

eigentone likes this.
  4. highrise

highrise Member

Does it sound like this?

5. RetVet2018

RetVet2018 Member

Does anyone know how many were actually made? I've heard they were limited to both 150 and 300, and the Vox website states limited quantities in 2017 without specifying a number. Either way, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one today.

6. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

I have one, as well as the AC15. It doesn't sound identical to my '62 AC30, but both still sound great. The 60th anniversary has a louder/beefier vibe and a better build and prettier guts (in general). I think VOX did a great job. They are spendy. If you can afford it, it should treat you well for decades.

I have done a few write-ups:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...hw60-handwired-60th-anniversary-ac15.1870897/
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...hw60-handwired-60th-anniversary-ac30.1911142/

I don't regret buying mine. Great build quality. I recommend nice, old tubes. They sound great.

I can't choose a favorite among my three AC30s or AC15.

If you have specific questions, fire away.

alamere, 56Tweed and aynirar27 like this.
  7. eigentone

Nope.

Is that your benchmark for an AC30 tone?

8. eigentone

They initially said production would be limited to 150. I emailed VOX about mine, which was slightly higher than 150. Curious. They responded:

We were able to confirm that there were actually 300 of each model produced worldwide. We are sorry to hear you received incorrect information.​

Happy incoming NAD! :beer

Hopefully it is packaged well. It took me a few attempts to receive one without damage.

9. guitar007

guitar007 Member

I have yet to hear a clip that captures what the amp sounds in the room. Perhaps it’s the limits of YouTube audio quality. ??

10. highrise

highrise Member

Not exactly but I don’t have any experience with older ones.

I was hoping to find something that sounds like a cross between that and Brian May.

That amp sounded pretty Marshally but I think a lot of that is speaker cab.

Can you show me a clip you think is representative? Thank you!

11. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

My two absolute favorite amps I’ve ever used were both vintage Vox AC/30s.

If you caught me in a weak moment with a little PayPal balance to throw around I could see myself taking the leap on one of these. They seem promising.

I really want to play one and it be horrible just so I can stop thinking about them.

12. eigentone

This is the best demo I remember:

13. eigentone

That's exactly what I was getting at. The 4x12 closed back vintage Marshall cab it's plugged into definitely changes the sound. These ACs have open backs and 15W Celestion Alnico speakers (similar to the Blues). That's why I was asking. The Parmeko transformers used in that amp weren't typical VOX transformers. The Parmekos and Albions have more "bark" and more of a driven Marshally sound when pushed, whereas the Haddons and Wodens are smoother and richer. Nevertheless, it still sounds great into the 4x12 IMO. It just isn't what I consider the ubiquitous AC30 tone. And that driven tone is something a lot of people don't expect from a VOX. They have much more lows, mids, and grind than many people expect. I think they crunch as well as a Marshall. They just have a different tonality to that crunch.

Here are a few by Johan with AC30s and VOX cabs/combos:

-- Probably Closed Back with Alnico Silvers

Note that Johan uses attenuators. The amps respond somewhat differently at volume.

Also good:

-- has an EF86 mod

They sound unbelievably good cranked IMO. For driven tones, the AC15 may have the edge. For cleans, the AC30 usually wins.

Here are some AC15 clips by Johan:

14. RetVet2018

RetVet2018 Member

Yeah, I remember reading a post involving one being damaged during shipping and it turning into an ordeal. I'm getting mine from Sweetwater, so I think it should be alright. I'm kind of curious as to what the serial number is going to be on this one.

eigentone likes this.
  15. eigentone

Sweetwater will hopefully double box it. And if they don't, they probably have a replacement in stock which they can send to you right away if it arrives damaged.

Unless you bought a customer return, floor model, or something… Sweetwater would have received the amp from VOX this year. Mine is numbered over #150 and it was received by the store I bought it from in November or December. If the amps are number incrementally, yours should be higher than mine. I'll guess #194 :)

16. RetVet2018

RetVet2018 Member

I've been buying from them for a long time, and they've always done great with the packaging among other things. I should receive the amp next week. I'll post the serial number once I get it! haha I'm guessing it'll be somewhere in the 200's if only 300 were actually made.

eigentone likes this.
  17. RetVet2018

RetVet2018 Member

My lucky Vox number is 233! Just figured you might like to know! Also, does anyone know if these amps are self-biasing regarding future tube replacements?

eigentone likes this.
  18. eigentone

Happy NAD! Hope you love it. AC30s are cathode biased. You just have to give it matched quads of power tubes. No trip to the tech required.

RetVet2018 likes this.