vox 847 vs vox 848 Clyde McCoy

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Spidey, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Spidey

Spidey Member

Hi Guys
    I'm in the mood for a new wah. I'm looking for that wah sound used by Cream, Hendrix, Stevie Ray, Trower etc.
    Would i be best to get the vox 847 or vox 848 Clyde McCoy? No one near me stocks both. I want a Vox but am unsure which is the closest to the pedal that these guys actually used.
    As I understand it, the 848 has a true bypass and features a mid boost. However, I know Joe Bonamassa uses the 847.
    Have any of you guys comapred these? Which is the most authentic?
    Thanks, Spidey

2. DaveukRN

DaveukRN Member

Hendix had a Vox Clyde but i very much doubt the modern re-issue 848 has the same inductor/internals.

3. geetarman

geetarman Member

Played both and neither is a faithful reproduction of the classic design.

4. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

I tried the 848, but I didnt like the way it sounded a high volumes through my setup. I'm thinking of selling it & looking into the Budda

5. Telephant

Telephant Member

I have both and I prefer the Clyde simply because its got more quack to it. Neither are as vocal sounding as the originals, but Id take a Vox Clyde in a pinch. :)

6. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

I passed on both just recently. The heel down on the 847 disappears completely. Slight volume loss when engaged. The 848 was the cooler and quackier of the two pedals.

I liked the sweep of the 848 but it still had the slight volume loss. A deal breaker for me.

I ended up with the Dunlop 535q. Did a session with it yesterday and it sounded fabulous. Still the Dunlop isn't as vibey as the Vox offerings.

7. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

Last I knew Bonamassa was using a non-true bypass vintage V846.

Anyway, I bought a used V847 and sent it off to George at Pedalworx for him to mod, and I got the Hendrix,Clapton, SRV wah sound i've always wanted.

8. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

To the best of my knowledge neither pedal is being manufactured anymore.
    Of the two(stock) I prefer the 847.