Vox AC-15 and Kingsley Jester?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by the_Chris, Mar 1, 2012.

1. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Hey guys, I'm looking at expanding the tones for my Vox Heritage AC-15 (the AC15H1TV in particular). I've had some difficulty in picking out the right overdrive for it and am interested if anyone's tried the Kingsley Jester through it (notably with the top boost channel, which is what I use exclusively). I'm looking for something that can give me some medium gain open sounding crunch tones and some singing lead tones.

I'm currently using a BJF Honey Bee and while it gets some good crunch at lower volumes, when it's pushed and there's some hair to the cleans I find it doesn't complement the amp very well (it focuses the tone a bit too much and sounds a bit harsh which isn't ever a problem with a cleaner signal). While I liked the Analogman King of Tone I had a while back, I didn't really find that the red channel all that inspiring with it (soft clipping is nice sometimes, but I felt it needed more of a punch to it). I never understood all the love for the Crowther Hot Cake either. Having had one, it only sounded good from noon on with the gain and at those levels it was fizzy, fuzzy city (good for Brian May, not for me).

I like that the Kingsley has quite a bit of flexibility from the clips I've heard and the foot switchable boost would really come in handy live when I want to cut through the mix on a lead break.

With all that said, I understand even the best pedals have to have the right platform to sound good. Is the Vox going to be too compressed for the pedal to work well with? I'm looking for a keeper overdrive/boost for this amp (since the pushed clean is unparalleled IMHO) and would appreciate any constructive feedback.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  2. mrphotosales

mrphotosales Member

I was just thinking about this. I use a morning glory which sounds very similar to the KoT. I also use a Fetto. But I've been very tempted by the Kingsley offerings.

3. Flying Panda

Flying Panda Member

Great amp, for sure, but pretty finicky with dirt pedals, as you obviously now know. I was surprised how well my good ol' OCD v3 works with it. Running it at 15 volts and the HP setting. I also find the Timmy to be pretty versatile with this amp, although I use it mostly just to give it a little nudge.

4. empressTIM

empressTIM Member

I'm getting a Minstrel this weekend, which is like the Jester with the Boost engaged. I play through a Night Train, which though different, may be close enough to be relevant. I'll post a review later next week once I have some time with it.

5. the_Chris

Thanks. I'll be looking forward to it. : )

6. the_Chris

Finally found one for sale and the clips on YouTube of it through the Kingsley 4xEL84 amp sold me. I took the plunge so I'll make sure to report in after I get it in and play with it for a while.

7. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

I have an amp that is really bright and only Kingsley drives (mine's the Jouster) works with it. All the others are too harsh and brittle. The Kingsley's WILL get harsh if you want them to, but I love how much smooth overdrive I can get out of them. Amazing.

the chris... mine's an EL84 amp as well. You'll love those drive tones.

8. Zero G

Zero G Member

+1. The Jester sounds great with my Peavey Classic 30.

9. the_Chris

Thanks for the input fellas. I'm looking forward to this one. If I can get some convincing amp tones out of this thing then the money will be well spent. I'm sick of trying so many overdrives.

I've owned an Ibanez TS10, Lovekraft Mojodrive, Clay Jones Overdrive/Black Market FX Overdrive, MJM Blues Devil, MXR Double Shot, BJF Honey Bee, Pro Analog Power Drive, Pro Analog Dual Drive, Xotic BB Preamp, Ethos Overdrive, GoudieFX Crystal Boost, Crowther Hot Cake and an Analogman King of Tone V4 so I've been through the ringer with enough of this stuff...hehe.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  10. mrphotosales

mrphotosales Member

11. forallofusPLENTY

forallofusPLENTY Member

hey

i ran a JESTER through a cc2 ac30...

it worked REMARKABLY well

i realise this doesn't answer yer question