Vox AC-15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by highfive!, Sep 30, 2008.

1. highfive!

highfive! Member

I'm thinking of getting a Custom Classic AC15, and I'm wondering if there are any other differences besides the speaker between the AC15CC1 for $600, and the AC15CC1X for $950? Wouldn't it be more cost effective to buy the cheaper one ($600), buy a separate Alnico Blue to drop in ($250), and sell the stock speaker? Anyone see any reason not to do this?

Also, anyone know what the cab dimensions of the AC15CC's are? Cheers.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  2. impactblue

impactblue Member

It is cheaper to buy it seperate and its the same. Plus you'll have a spare speaker. I bought the it with the blue and i was like DOH! Haha...

Dimensions are 23" x 17" x 10"

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  3. sliberty

sliberty Member

+1. But in fact, the cheaper speaker sounds pretty darn good in that amp, so you should live with it a while before you drop the extra cash on a Blue. You might decide you like it, and then you can use the left over $250 as a deposit on a nice Telecaster to go with the AC15 - what a combination!

4. highfive!

highfive! Member

Well, that's good news! Already got me a tele or two!

Thanks for the knowledge, guys.

5. mwc2112

mwc2112 Supporting Member

Or you could buy the cheaper one and spend half the price on an Eminence Red Fang speaker... they sound fantastic! Maybe not *quite* as nice as an Alnico Blues, but certainly close enough that it is a great, lower cost alternative.

6. highfive!

highfive! Member

Yeah, that was my next question, what other speakers... but I should probably get to know the cheaper stock deal like sliberty said, and then go from there. i'll take notes, though, if anyone else wants to chime in. Thanks again!

7. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

I've got a AC15cc that hadn't been getting much use, Wharfdale speaker. My main is a Maz18, with a Cel Blue in the cab. I've been gassing for a Swart AST for about a year now, really want some amp trem, but as an overall amp i've never loved the AC15. Anyways, these last two weeks i've been running the Vox to the Z cab, just exploring tones/possibilities.
    To me there was some minor improvement with the blue, little less tubbyness. Tho there is a difference, i think for MAJOR tone improvement in this amp, tubes are probably the way to go. Another mod to this amp that i've seen around here is to cut the treble cap. I haven't done these mods.
    Just passing along a little personal experience. From one who didn't love the amp to begin with, the speaker didn't make a big enough difference.

All that aside, perfectly usable amp, got me my trem fix for the week, and ridiculously low priced. Heavy little bugger. Best of luck with yours.

cheers

8. smallcrap

smallcrap Member

+1 - this is a great amp stock with the wharfdale, IMO still one of the best bang for buck amps out there. Try it out and don't worry about a speaker until you're sure you don't like it.

9. dave s

dave s Member

Definitely look around for the USED version of that amp before you plunk down $600+ retail. People are selling those things with UPGRADES for $450!

dave

10. highfive!

highfive! Member

Yup, got my eye on one for $400. As far as speakers, I've been pretty spoiled by the alnico magic I loaded my fenders with, that's why I'm leaning toward the Blue, aftermarket. I think I can make the CC1X happen for around 5 bills.

11. highfive!

highfive! Member

New question: Are there any inherent problems or quirks with the AC15's that I should look out for in my quest for a used one?

12. impactblue

impactblue Member

Rattles a bit when u turn the volume up haha...

13. highfive!

highfive! Member

Really?! I have an old solid state Vox that rattles like hell up past 4-5. Makes me crazy! I thought it was something loose in the chassis... but maybe not? Great....

14. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I got one for cheap $360 and I immediately did a buncha mods . .
    I found that a JBL works VERY well in there . . . . a Blue might be nice too, but for me I wanted all the speaker headroom I could muster

With all the mods done by meself I now LOVE this amp . . . I posted a thread about the mods here awhile ago . . . I'll paraphrase that thread here:

• New Speaker - JBL

• Added a bright cap switch, moved the light and put in a toggle with a 150pf cap
    • Made The Power Switch a toggle
    • Made the Standby into a toggle

• Acutronix (bought it that way - but added extra padding in the bag and that really made a difference)
    • Choke - Mercury Magnetics
    • Tone Cut pot mounted on the back
    • C13 is now a Mallory (kinda had to do this as the other cap got damaged)
    • NOS Mullard EL84 - got a great deal on them
    • NOS GE 12ax7s - matched in V2
    • I had a whole slew of Vintage chicken knobs, real ones with the screws - popped them on
    I didn't like this amp at all when I first got it . . . now its the go-to - I love its tone and wow . . . taint it look nice too?!

Pard'n the occasional blur, but it helps unclutter the crappy camera-flash-images and the wreck-of-a-mess room [​IMG]

Love the silver dust caps. in the Vibroverb is a 15" Standel with a small silver cap.

[​IMG]

The switches - from close to far = Standby, Power and Bright. the plates are from an old Filmosound projector. the words are appropriate for the Standby switch but I think that I will eventually black out and change some of the wording on the other switches
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Definitely will black-out that half covered 'on' switch
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the Tone-Cut knob - and I am so glad that I put in an adjustable pot for this . . it works well.
    [​IMG]

The back in all its glory
    [​IMG]

15. pfflam

Oh yeah, to answer your question about inherent problems, Way too bright and piercing high-ends
    That's why most folks who are in the know do the 'Bright-cap' mod, which takes about 4 minutes.
    I overdid it and made the mod into a switchable situation
    Also supposedly the reverb should also be upgraded right away, I bought mine with the upgrade already in it so that was fine (though I stuffed stuffing in the reverb bag and that seemed to also help
    a helpful site about doing mods on these:
    http://www.guitarpug.com/2008/06/vox-ac15cc-mod-guide/

my original thread about my mods: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=443812

16. highfive!

highfive! Member

WANT. :drool

Indespensible info, also. Thank you!

17. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I have a brit made AC15 with the blue and the tranny just blew on me the other night. being fixed now. apparently they were known to do this but I think the problem is squared away now.

18. drweller

drweller Member

AC15CC is a nice amp. Wharfdales in the AC30CC sound horrible - but they do actually work fairly well in the AC15.

Would definitely upgrade the reverb right off the bat - it's not usable stock, decay is much too long. And, spend a little on some new tubes (Tung Sol, EH, JJ). Those 2 will really make a difference in the amp's tone/performance.

After the verb/tube upgrade, if you're not quite feelin' the speaker, pop for a Blue or a Greenback. Emminence Red Coat is a nice low-cost option. Would also suggest Weber's Alnico Blue Bell and also his Alnico 1225 (Greenback). THe alnico version is amazing - chime of the Blue with the nice woody character of the Greenback - perfect blend of the 2.

19. pfflam

BTW: to get a JBL in there I had to chisel a little wood off of an annoying brace inside the amp. Once again, maybe I'm a freak but the JBL is THE speaker for me in this amp.