Vox Ac 30 Custom Classic Smokes!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tag, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

FINALLY tried one of these things. Most guys on here know by now that VERY few amps impress me. VERY FEW, VERY FEW. :D

The Brunos, Fuchs SLX, TwoRock E.Pro, and the Vox AC 30 HWRI are about the only ones. Well, here is another. Walk in, see it, think COOL, I bet it will sound pretty good! Well, plug in a US standard strat into the boost input, put the knobs at 12 Oclock and the switches in "normal" positions, strike a chord, and felt my jaw hit the floor. STUNNING tone. I was weak in the knees. It hit me the same way the HWRI did. I went through the settings, and could not find anything other than world class tones. I mean about as good as it gets. Even with the gain dimed, and the MV at about talking levels, there was no buzziness or harshness at ALL. Zero, zip, goose egg, bagel, nada, nada II. ;) I have to have one.
    Let the corksniffys complain about it being built in China, or cost cutting or whatever, its ALL ABOUT TONE. The reverb is not the best, but its WAY better than some of the trash I have heard on Marshall 800 reverbs and channel switchers, and it kills the reverb on the Matchless JJs or Badcats. Also, I have no idea what they did, but this amp actually FEELS like it has a tube rectfier! :dude First time I have experienecd that! The additions like the reverb, bright, MV, and voicing switches are EXACTLY what AC 30s needed.
    This amp kills!! :AOK :AOK :AOK

2. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Agree! Great amp. I'm assuming you tried one with blues? They could fix some logistics to make tubes easier to get to for example, but they sound great. Even without blues, they sound great, but they get to mouth-watering good with blues in the cab. I only tried em with a cheap Strat, but can't imagine quality guitars not sounding good through the CC's.

3. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

That is good news. I haven't gotten to play one yet but people seem to love them. The only complaint seems to have been a couple of reliability issues. That susposedly was a start of production thing and has been resolved.

I have a Hayseed 30 that I have been loving. I'd be interested to hear your opinion on one if you ever get the chance to play one.

4. Stephen Landry

Stephen Landry Member

I've played a local one without the Blues a few times now and I think it sounds great. I haven't convinced myself yet I like it more than my English, but for versatility of tones I loved it.

5. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

I got a chance to play one last week and I loved it. I played a Les Paul standard through one and it sounded amazing. I set it up for clean with just a little break up and some reverb and WOW! I wanted one right then and there. Plus the music store offers a 10% discount a couple times a year, which makes it an even better deal. I mean for the one without blues for $900 :). If I wasn't saving up for a new guitar I would have bought one right there! A VERY sweet amp. :AOK

6. sws1

sws1 Member

I played one on at GC with Blues and I was massively underimpressed. I'm almost thinking something was wrong with it since it sounded...well...dry. I had to double check to make sure I wasn't playing one of their modeling amps.

I really really wanted to like it, but I didn't. I think I need to try it again.

I also didn't think it was all that loud. Maybe some bad tubes.

7. shuffle

shuffle Member

Well that just about convinced me to go and buy one. I've been posting here discussing things about the amp because i'm tempted to get one, this just about confirmed it! Gonna go try a few out now! Cant wait!

My heart is beating fast - i want to try it now but im at work.....

8. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Had to have been something wrong. I would definitely not call that sound dry, and the ones I've tried had "hurt me" volume.

9. bscepter

bscepter Member

Fantastic tone -- agreed. I had an early one and returned it, due to a dented transformer (!). I loved the way it sounded, however. China or no -- they've dialed in the tone! (I now have a Hayseed, which sounds similar.)

10. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

I tried one, brought it home, and it wigged out. Took it back and got another, same problem. SWEET sounding amp, I really wanted one but wasn't about to deal with unreliability issues. Then bought an RxES and it's been fat city ever since.

From what I've read, things seem to be tightning up with the Vox quality and attention to detail, although replacing some tubes if necessary is still a nightmare.

11. Thorazine Dream

Thorazine Dream Supporting Member

12. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

Anybody try the AC30CC with greenbacks or vintage 30's?
    I heard one person compare these to Marshall JMP's in tone, what do you think?
    Gregory

13. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I have played both the 15 and the 30. New, I would pay 500 and 750 absolute tops. I was terribly unimpressed with the amps. The top end was strident and very tiring. Not anything that I would spend my money on. M.E.

14. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Clips will be coming for all to hear. :) VERY GOOD!....... The top end is no more harsh than a vintage one. After all, Vox AC 30s started the entire "blizzard of nails in the earhole" thing to begin with.(And for GOOD reason!) :eek: :eek: :eek:

15. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

wait tag, did you actually buy the amp? ... in any case, i agree ... the guitarist in my band uses one and it sits in the mix very well with my d/13 ... and i'm always gassing for one (i'm just a sucker for voxy tone) ... but my ftr37 is still number 1! i just need more than one amp :).

16. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

I thought my head was very nice too. I would recommend going with a head rather than a combo, as they seem to have less reliability issues. I though the AC30CC sounded as good, if not better than the AC30 HWH. A sweet old JMI will sound better, but there are a lot out there that aren't all that hot (for a variety of reasons), and at 3 or 4 times the price....
    I've got to try the AC15CC again.... basically i was underwhelmed.

17. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Strongly disagree. It is missing the thickness in the top end that the old ones, and some of the English reissues have. The top end of the CC is very sterile to me. The amp sounds nice, but pretty lifeless to me. M.E.

18. radvra

radvra Guest

Now I am curious about the AC-30CC. I have a 1990 (1960 30th Anniversary) AC-30 made by Korg/Marshall, and it has been a wonderful amp that has been the benchmark for everything else i play. It has Greenbacks and I use GE NOS EL-84's.

Probably not a pure AC-30 tone because i believe it has a SS rectifier, but I would be curious to see how it stacks up to the CC. No MV on mine, so it needs a TS9 or Tone Bone to get it to growl.

19. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Geeeez Mike, thats the total opposite of what I hear in the CC's, theyre simply unreal.

20. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    Gotta agree with you. I have had mine over a year and even sold a '62 JMI AC30 that over 50 people at the Michigan tonefest thought was the best sounding vintage vox they had ever heard. I owned both the JMI and CC at the same time and couldn't hear a difference between the 2.