Vox AC-30TB - Not happy, what should I try?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by KDSI44, Jan 14, 2006.

1. KDSI44

KDSI44 Member

OK. Here is the deal. I have a Vox AC-30TB reissue made in England. I love the tone from the el84's, but it is way too much power for what i am doing. Please help with any recommendations. Here is what I am looking into. TopHat Royale. Orange AD15/12. Matchless LIghtning. Matchless Spitfire. Hayseed. Budda 18. Vox AC-15 CC(china). BadCat Cub. OK. I think that's it. I play indie rock with a Gibson ES-335. I really like the 'vox' sound. Please help!

2. doctord02

doctord02 Member

try the AC15CC - or a regular AC15 RI if you can find one.

3. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

<mod edit. Dealer Emporium only please>

4. Joe Robinson

Joe Robinson Gold Supporting Member

Maybe you tried one before, but did not mention it: Try an attenuator, say for instance a THD Hotplate (the blue 16 ohm one) It is an essential accessory to an AC30. If you don't know, an attenuator is placed between the amp and the speakers and bleeds off volume. The cost is about $250 on the street, maybe a bit more as I bought mine in 2001. Also, swapping out those greenbacks for Alinco blues is a good thing to do, but more expensive.

They don't make the AC30TB any more, so hang on to that amp and see if you can make it work for you, before offloading something that will likely go up in value and sounds wonderful. If you want a Vox sound, you have the right amp already.

Joe

5. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

sorry about the spam guys, didn't mean any harm by it.

6. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

+1 on the THS hotplate. I used one when I had my AC30 TBX. If for any reason the amp doesn't work out for you drop me a line.

7. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

My CC AC30 is frigging UNREAL. Save the bucks, and get REAL Vox tone. Get the Vox CC. Vox really went for it. They custome make their OWN transformers and everything. Just a KILLER amp. :AOK Listen to the third clip down here....Its my Vox CC. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=271268

8. Junebug

Junebug Member

I have a 2003 AC30 w/ the blue speakers and found it to be too loud as well, however the hotplate did the trick. I can crank for distortion or can turn it up enough just to get it sounding warm without all the volume. Great for playing at home.

9. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Sounds great Tag!! No one believes me when I say how great the CC sounds - they say how thin and chinese it sounds when they tried it at the store! I think your clips prove that it is a true Vox amp, probably my favorite Vox amp of the modern era including the cloners.

10. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

BTW here is my ac30CC clip:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=354471&songID=3265925

and here is my ac15CC clip:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=354471&songID=3265905

11. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I've owned a couple of TopHat Club Royales. VERY nice amp for Vox-ish/Marhsall-ish tones! The new ones with tube rectifier and deep cab are particularly nice.

12. gulliver

gulliver Member

+7 on the Hotplate.

13. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Do yourself a favor and keep the TB! Get a Hotplate!!

I have demoed both the 15 and 30 extensively and at volume in live rooms. The TB has no equal as a re-issue imo. There is a thickness in the upper end,as well as an incredible sweetness that is not matched by any of the few [5+] CC's that I have played.

If you do want to unload it, get a hold of me. I might be in a position to buy.

M.E.

14. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

U'd be crazy to get rid of the amp.
    +? on the hotplate.

15. neve1073

neve1073 Member

I agree: get an attenuator. there's nothing quite like an ac30 top boost on 8 with bulldog speakers for that sound. Chords just drip with gorgeous harmonic distortion.

16. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

17. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Another vote for the Hot Plate, I use one with my 2002 TBX.

18. morgan

morgan Guest

Attenuators are awesome with ac30's. I went the mv route. I had an AC30HW for a while, but it didn't have the complexity and jangle of the the regular voxes. I sold that and got a hayseed 2x12 with blues. It just kills. The master vol works great, and it has a half-power switch.

19. Pete Faragher

Pete Faragher Gold Supporting Member

Hey..... I believe you. I've heard it with my own ears.
    On the attenuator note. Go with the Dr. Z Airbrake instead of the THD. I don't want to start an attenuator pissing contest here but, I own both and I'd be happy to sell my THD now.

Pete

20. gulliver

gulliver Member

One thing to keep in mind, this thread is getting so many hotplate/airbrake recommendations because it's common knowledge that Vox amps do a great job at clipping their power tubes. It seems some amps, like a Peavey I played this summer for example, can't clip their power tubes, even when on 10. For these amps, a hotplate may add nice power tube compression at ear-friendly volumes, but I don't won't add the secret sauce IMHO.